MPFB2 - create human without helper geometry

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

Re: MPFB2 - create human without helper geometry

Postby tomcat » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:16 pm

Skalli wrote:The downside of this method is, that it has to be done for every shape key one want available in the game, which can be tedious with many shape keys, e.g. for a character creator.

Yep, it's a workable but very tedious process. I plan to try to do a character generator in Godot based on MH in the foreseeable future.

I will post a report about the process here and on the Godot site.

joepal wrote:I don't think it was ever intended that child meshes such as proxies and clothes would have shape keys.

Yeah, it's a very specific case. I guess I should note that there is no simple and convenient solution in this area yet. And MH seems to me, although far from ideal, but the most suitable.
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby marvisb » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:44 pm

I found this plugin:

https://github.com/fblah/ShapeKeyTransferBlender

I was able to use it to transfer the shape keys from a MakeHuman body onto an article of clothing. It is working very well so far -- all I did was export the triangulated mesh from MD, import into Blender, parent it to the skeleton of the Makehuman character with automatic weights, then use the plugin to transfer the shapekeys.

Tomcat, it sounds like we have very similar goals, except I am using a different Game Engine. I think that plugin could probably help you out, too.
marvisb

Postby tomcat » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:50 pm

@marvisb Thank you! This plugin looks really interesting.

I really hope it gets refined for Blender 3.x
tomcat

Postby marvisb » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:45 pm

Does it not work for you? I am using it with Blender 3.4
marvisb

Postby tomcat » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:23 pm

marvisb wrote:Does it not work for you? I am using it with Blender 3.4

If it works in Blender 3, that's great! I'm still getting ready to migrate to it. What keeps me on 2.93 is that Retarget BVH doesn't work in Blender 3. :(
tomcat

Postby marvisb » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:46 pm

Oh, okay. I haven't used that before. I just use 2.9 for the majority of my work (which is static geometry) and then have various other versions of Blender installed for other tasks. MPFB 2 needed 3.4 so I just installed that and use it specifically for character-related tasks.

I should add, so far I haven't needed to do any animation work, I have been able to glean what I need from sample projects (basic locomotion, etc) or specific purchases. I actually know very little about animation. I have a collection of mechanical objects that I need to animate at some point because simulating them with engine physics is not so good.
marvisb

Postby tomcat » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:23 pm

marvisb wrote: MPFB 2 needed 3.4

Personally, I'm more comfortable working in a separate MH program than with the plugin.

I should add, so far I haven't needed to do any animation work

For me, the "Character Generator" involves not only creating a model, but also assigning animations to it. There is little use in a game engine for the most beautiful model if it doesn't move. I'm even willing to accept a reduced quality of the model itself, as long as it moves well.
tomcat

Postby marvisb » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:51 pm

joepal wrote:Yeah, that explains it. If you create a new human "from makehuman", you don't get the modifier information, only a baked mesh. If you instead do "from presets" -> "load MHM", you'll get the relevant modifier info, and it will be as if you created from scratch.

The problem I have importing from the MHM file is I only get the default Makehuman skeleton, even with a different one used in Makehuman. The Network Socket import can use any skeleton, however.

tomcat wrote:For me, the "Character Generator" involves not only creating a model, but also assigning animations to it. There is little use in a game engine for the most beautiful model if it doesn't move. I'm even willing to accept a reduced quality of the model itself, as long as it moves well.

Well, yes, I agree, what I meant was, I have not yet had to create any animations from scratch, which is fortunate for me.
marvisb

Postby tomcat » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:27 pm

marvisb wrote:The problem I have importing from the MHM file is I only get the default Makehuman skeleton, even with a different one used in Makehuman.

Where and how do you import? In the import settings, there is probably an item "replace rig".

Well, yes, I agree, what I meant was, I have not yet had to create any animations from scratch, which is fortunate for me.

What not to bother with the creation of animation and need Retarget BVH.
tomcat

Postby joepal » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:57 am

marvisb wrote:The problem I have importing from the MHM file is I only get the default Makehuman skeleton, even with a different one used in Makehuman. The Network Socket import can use any skeleton, however.

This sounds like a bug to me. The goal with the MHM import is that you should get what you see in the MH viewport via MHM export too, minus pose and expressions which are not compatible. I'll look into it: https://github.com/makehumancommunity/mpfb2/issues/77

However, when I test this, at least the game engine skeleton works through the MHM export.

Can you paste the contents of your MHM file here so I can take a look at what happens with it?
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

PreviousNext

Return to Blender and MPFB