WIP: Sculpt support in MPFB2

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

WIP: Sculpt support in MPFB2

Postby joepal » Wed May 18, 2022 9:31 am

While struggling with getting a functional strategy for sculpting normal maps, I've implemented my best efforts into a UI panel in MPFB2. Using this, you can quickly get a configuration which works decently for getting a setup for normal map baking.

With a character mesh selected you get access to a panel for setting up sculpting. Any makehuman mesh works, not only the base mesh.

wip_sculpt_1.png

When setting up, you get a sculpt object and a bake target. If you're working with the base mesh, all shape keys have been applied:

wip_sculpt_2.png

If you select to have the routine configure your render settings, you'll find the bake panel configured for baking a normal map from one object to another:

wip_sculpt_3.png

When baking, you get a reasonably clean normal map:

wip_sculpt_4.png

There are still artifacts in tricky areas. From what I can understand, this is more or less unavoidable when using blender's projection ray distance approach. In tricky areas, you're more or less bound to hit an unrelated area.

Artifacts will need to be manually touched up by covering them with a solid 0.5, 0.5, 1.0 color.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to Blender and MPFB