asset directory

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

Re: asset directory

Postby joepal » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:23 pm

Atm, I'm playing around with a home-brewed JSON-based format instead. See for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uJvWnmRE2U

It's sub-optimal to use a separate format though. But googling for BVH alternatives, I haven't even heard of the alternatives.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: asset directory

Postby tomcat » Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:32 pm

joepal wrote:But googling for BVH alternatives, I haven't even heard of the alternatives.

There are many formats of animation. But not many people have heard of them. I suppose if they were successful, then people would know about them.

The problem is that the animation format must meet a lot of often mutually exclusive requirements: it must consider rig and movement, it must have a large base of movements, it requires editing software, and it must be understood by 3D graphics programs and game engines. None of the existing formats fully meet these requirements, but BVH has the best match.

There is a good animation creation and editing program Cascadeur, but it only allows you to export to .fbx and .dae

I want to try to mix poses (the engine allows it) to slice existing animation and combine to get the poses I need from the parts. I don't know what it would look like yet, but for games the animation requirements are somewhat lower than for video clips, so this approach might be acceptable.

Your approach to animation is very interesting. Almost anything you can do in Blender can be exported to Godot.
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Previous

Return to Blender and MPFB