Animation retargeter problem

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

Re: Animation retargeter problem

Postby tomcat » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:37 am

makehuman987 wrote:The character walked forward with arms and legs crossing, just as your pic showed.

Extremely strange… right now I did the first steps of the tutorial (except setting the bone constraint and exporting to the engine)… and got this result:

Unfortunately I have no idea why this happens… Image

Can you send me the latest Blender file?
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby makehuman987 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:45 am

hi, woodcat
The blend file is attached. The character was made by makehuman and saves as .dae file. Animation was downloaded from your link.
Attachments
retarget_problem.blend
(7.17 MiB) Downloaded 150 times
makehuman987

Postby tomcat » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:38 pm

I have studied the files you sent me. As to the question:
makehuman987 wrote:The original motion is walking forward, while after retargeting, the motion became climbing.

I can assume that this is because the model was rotated. Exactly, to avoid this kind of thing, it is recommended to apply the transformation before assigning the animation.

On the new file. Really important note:
The character was made by makehuman and saves as .dae file.

This may be the reason for incorrect applying the animation.

From my humble experience, I concluded that the least problematic is the algorithm using native file formats. For MH it is MHX2 if an intermediate file is required (for example using "mass produce"), or (for individual work with each character) — MPFB(Socket)/MPFB2.

Just out of curiosity, what is the end goal, if not a secret? Will the characters be used in Blender or transferred to the game engine?
tomcat

Postby makehuman987 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:48 am

Hi, woodcat
I have tried importing chracter into blender through MPFB and after retargeting, the character's arms and legs are crossing, just as mentioned above.
When using .dae, the same weird movement appears.
when using fbx(saving characters made by human as fbx format) , the character stoop down.
Forgive me I didn't clarify the format at first as I didn't know that the format would be a key factor, maybe different formats will need to apply different transformation.
As for the format, firstly I chose to import into Blender through the MFPB, however I need to add some animation on these characters(through online website like mixamo), seems fbx would be a more popular format, so I chose fbx as the first choice and dae the complementary.
Just out of curiosity, what is the end goal, if not a secret? Will the characters be used in Blender or transferred to the game engine?

Yes, blender is the end goal, unity might be taken into consideration in the future, but recently would be blender.
makehuman987

Postby loki1950 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:47 am

Fbx maybe the most popular but it is closed source wholly owned by Autodesk and they have not released all of the details of their format so writing an importer/exporter for it is an exercise in futility for that reason our exporter in makehuman frankly sucks if you absolutely need to use fbx use the blender exporter they actually have a development agreement with the blender Foundation and Autodesk so it is much better not perfect though as the fbx format changes at Autodesk's whim with no warning.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby tomcat » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:32 am

makehuman987 wrote:

If you select rig 'CMU mb' and its corresponding animation, that is, do as in this tutorial, the result may not be predictable?! Very strange… :shock:
when using fbx(saving characters made by human as fbx format) , the character stoop down.

Perhaps somewhere in the settings there is an option 'feet on the ground'.
however I need to add some animation on these characters(through online website like mixamo)

I don't quite get it… Do you want to mix animations from different sources, perhaps not completely matching? Not exactly a trivial task in my opinion.
Yes, blender is the end goal, unity might be taken into consideration in the future, but recently would be blender.

When you export to the game engine there are additional difficulties and limitations.
tomcat

Postby makehuman987 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:09 am

Hi,loki1950
Fbx did bring some unconvinience because of its closed source. Some software will crash when using fbx.
We needed to use many animations from different resources(as many are .fbx files) which limited the format we could use.
Your advice of importing characters into blender through MPFB and then exporting as fbx is a good advice. I have tried this way, unfortunately, the fbx file exported in this way sometimes crashed or met other problems. Seems saving as fbx from blender seems not better than saving as fbx from Makehuman through my experience.
Hope softwares like Blender and makehuman would help to make some progress on the opening source of .fbx :D
makehuman987

Postby makehuman987 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:32 am

hi, woodcat
I've chosen "feet on the ground". Really weird.
Well, retargeting with bvh file doesn't require fbx. The previous animation from mixamo was not enough so I turned to bvh retargeting, not meant to mix animation from different souces.
Yes, importing into Unity would cause other problems as well. I haven't decided whether a more complicated scene is demanded. Seems complicated scene in blender would be a little burdensome, of course, I don't really know the performance of these two softwares or any optimal way of using Blender. Any good suggestion would be welcome.
makehuman987

Postby tomcat » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:26 pm

makehuman987 wrote:Yes, importing into Unity would cause other problems as well.

For my work with animation, I would suggest to pay attention to Cascadeur. I'm just starting to learn it, but it looks promising. And it understands .fbx . There is a free version.

As for Unity, I can't offer anything — I chose another game engine for my project.

Hope softwares like Blender and makehuman would help to make some progress on the opening source of .fbx

Open source software, in terms of standardization, is moving towards glTF.
tomcat

Postby makehuman987 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:13 am

thanks, woodcat
For my work with animation, I would suggest to pay attention to Cascadeur. I'm just starting to learn it, but it looks promising. And it understands .fbx . There is a free version.

Really a good advice, I have been thinking about trying to do some animations, I will try to learn Cascadeur.
Open source software, in terms of standardization, is moving towards glTF.

ok, I will pay more atention to this format.
makehuman987

PreviousNext

Return to Blender and MPFB