Animation retargeter problem

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

Animation retargeter problem

Postby makehuman987 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:24 am

Dear all:
I have made some characters using makehuman and now I wanted to retarget it to a CMU .bvh file in Blender(2.93.1) through bvh retargeter add-on.
However when pressing " Load and Retarget", an error occured: " BVH retargeter can not use this rig because it has: object rotation, object scaling, apply object transformation before using BVH retargeter", I have also tried "Ctr A" to apply the transformation, still the same error occured.
The CMU .bvh file is shown in the attachment(bvh was not allowed as the attachement and I uploaded a screenshot pic) and it's indeed ten times taller(has a height 10 meters) than makehuman, Could you tell me how to transform this bvh file or how to solve this retarget problem?
Thanks a lot.
Attachments
retarget_problem.png
makehuman987

Re: Animation retargeter problem

Postby tomcat » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:17 pm

makehuman987 wrote:The CMU .bvh file is shown in the attachment
Could you put the .bvh on a file exchange site and post the link here?
Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby makehuman987 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:26 am

woodcat wrote:
makehuman987 wrote:The CMU .bvh file is shown in the attachment
Could you put the .bvh on a file exchange site and post the link here?

OK, the bvh is attached with blend as .rar file. What's more, I used makewalk instead of bvh retargeter, this error disappeared, but the action was weird. The original motion is walking forward, while after retargeting, the motion became climbing.
Attachments
Retarget.rar
(3.51 MiB) Downloaded 195 times
makehuman987

Postby tomcat » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:50 pm

makehuman987 wrote:However when pressing " Load and Retarget", an error occured: " BVH retargeter can not use this rig because it has: object rotation, object scaling, apply object transformation before using BVH retargeter"

I am very sorry, but I could not reproduce the error :(

tomcat

Postby makehuman987 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:11 am

Hi, dear woodcat:
Is the motion normal? The action in the bvh file was walking forward, but after retargeting, the action of the character became climbing. I tried bvh retargeter you supplied, motion is still weird.
makehuman987

Postby tomcat » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:16 pm

makehuman987 wrote:Is the motion normal? The action in the bvh file was walking forward, but after retargeting, the action of the character became climbing.

The movement is really weird, but it's horizontal. Unnatural arm waving, but I guess that's because of the .bvh conversion, or because the rig doesn't match.

Not sure, but I suspect it's the same animation I used. Only I took the animation and skeleton from CMU:

tomcat

Postby makehuman987 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:03 am

Dear woodcat:
thanks a lot.
The bvh file is downloaded from this website: http://sites.google.com/a/cgspeed.com/c ... on-capture . It's also from CMU.
As for the skeleton, I chose the makehuman 'Game engine' which has 53 joints and different from CMU skeleton. Today I also tried makehuman 'CMU mb' skeleton but still the animation is not right, just as the attached pic shows, the character stoop down.
Moreover, I tried the ACCAD bvh file(http://accad.osu.edu/research/mocap/mocap_data.htm), after retargeting, the character also stoop down.
Seems rig or something is not right . Anything needs to be set in the addon makewalk or bvh retargeter? Or is there any other retrageting add-on or any other way of retargeting?
Attachments
stoop_down.png
stoop_down.png (73.42 KiB) Viewed 3297 times
makehuman987

Postby makehuman987 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:08 am

hi, woodcat
one newbie question I would like to ask, why we need to apply the rotation and scaling before retargeting? After applying these transformation, the character could locate in arbitrary position(not in the origin of the coordinates system).
makehuman987

Postby tomcat » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:54 pm

makehuman987 wrote:The bvh file is downloaded from this website: http://sites.google.com/a/cgspeed.com/c ... on-capture . It's also from CMU.

I compared our BVH files — they are very similar but there are differences. The one I used has a "zero" T-pose (at the beginning, the first one). Your file doesn't have it.

I got the animation files from here: Updated (2010) Motionbuilder-friendly release. Used skeleton 'CMU mb'.

Anything needs to be set in the addon makewalk or bvh retargeter? Or is there any other retrageting add-on or any other way of retargeting?

I have not done any additional adjustments.

More closely and in detail to study the animation I will start next year, and then on this subject I will be able to say more.

one newbie question I would like to ask, why we need to apply the rotation and scaling before retargeting?

You can apply the transformation after retargeting and see the result. The result may be… unexpected :)
tomcat

Postby makehuman987 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:44 am

hi, woodcat
I downloaded bvh file from the link you supplied and tried in blender, however the movement is weird. The character walked forward with arms and legs crossing, just as your pic showed.
makehuman987

Next

Return to Blender and MPFB