[SOLVED] Can MPFB2 parent teeth to a rigify rig?

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

[SOLVED] Can MPFB2 parent teeth to a rigify rig?

Postby Ian_Samit » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:54 am

When I add a Rigify rig to a model imported via MPFB2, there is an option for teeth to either:
  1. Keep
  2. Change rig
  3. Split and parent
But, no matter what I try, the rig does not affect the teeth.
I have been able to split and parent the teeth manually, but this is time-consuming so I wonder if I'm missing something.
Last edited by Ian_Samit on Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian_Samit

Re: Can MPFB2 parent teeth to a rigify rig?

Postby joepal » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:27 am

The generate function for the rigify rig relies on there being an appropriate weight painting on the teeth object.

My guess is you did approximately this:

* import a model including teeth from MH
* remove any existing rig (or if you imported without a rig)
* select the base mesh
* add a rigify rig
* make the rigify rig parent of the teeth

The problem here is that the teeth object now either has no weight painting or the weight painting from the rig you imported from MH. Thus MPFB has no idea which vertices belong to the upper jaw and which belong to the lower.

What you could do instead is:

* open the model (MHM) file directly on the "from presets" panel
* delete the rig (if any)
* delete the teeth.
* Add the rigify rig
* Add the teeth either by going to the apply assets -> teeth panel (if you have that set up), or by going to the apply assets -> load mhclo and load the mhclo file for the teeth
* click generate

But in general, there is a bit of a mismatch between the real rigify rig in MPFB2 and characters imported from MH. If you need rigify, you will have a smoother ride if you create the characters inside MPFB2 instead of importing them from MH.

At some point, there should be an override option so that imported characters can get fully rigify rigged. But atm there is a catch-22 problem I haven't been able to solve regarding that.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Can MPFB2 parent teeth to a rigify rig?

Postby Ian_Samit » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:17 am

Hi Joel,
Yes thanks that worked well.

This is a bit off-topic but it seems that the focus of MPFB2 is at least as much stand-alone plugin as interface between MH and Blender. So I'm wondering if eventually you plan to have the same degree of control in character creation as MH. It would be fantastic to be able to create MH characters directly inside Blender with full control over e.g. nose shape and size.
Ian_Samit

Re: [SOLVED] Can MPFB2 parent teeth to a rigify rig?

Postby joepal » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:59 pm

Well, the targets are exactly the same. To my knowledge you can do exactly the same morphs on the nose in MPFB as you can in MH. There should be no difference.

nose.png

But to answer the question: Yes, I envision MPFB2 as being able to work completely standalone. The blender UI doesn't allow for the same flexibility as a standalone application does, but pretty much all functional should be possible to get into blender technically albeit a bit clunky. The only major thing I haven't solved yet is loading poses.

You can for example get access to skin, clothes and hair by downloading the asset packs: http://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman ... index.html
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to Blender and MPFB