Extracting Helper Geometry

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

Extracting Helper Geometry

Postby MatCreator » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:55 am

Hello all, I hope everything is going well for you guys... To be painfully frank, I suffer from CRS and forgot EVERYTHING =( But Id like to get back into the swing of things making clothes again. Previously I would just work on a specific piece from the helper geometry I could extract with Blender/MakeClothes. I even had a saved file with all the extracted helper items to work with where I could delete parts I didnt want (for example the hair or genitals) and work on just the tights or dress.

I forgot how to bring the MakeHuman figure into Blender and extract the helper geometry with the items separated. Can someone please walk me thru the process slowly, step by step, pointing out any options that need to be checked or unchecked?

Image posted shows what I thought I would get outside of Blender (I use 3D Coat and ZBrush for modeling), but the helper geometry seems to be a fused, single object with all my attempts...
Attachments
makehuman-helpers-1.jpg
MatCreator

Re: Extracting Helper Geometry

Postby Elvaerwyn » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:21 pm

Greetings!
Nice to hear you will be making clothes and accessories :D So, to avoid any redoing of existing work, I would first suggest that you work with your perfectly good dummy that you have in blender in the screenshot? Assuming you work with the most recent version of blender?
For that it is quite simple actually. Select your dummy and switch to edit mode. On the material tab, far right, on bottom, material properties-you will see all the regions you are referring to by material name and color. Highlight the color in the stack you need the part for, for example blue/skirt- then click the button under the stack select. This will select the entire skirt section of the dummy only. Hit the letter P on your keypad and then choose selection from the drop down that opens up. Now the skirt section is separated from the dummy/alternatively you can of course copy the piece first and then de parent so you have a duplicate. Go back to the object mode and now you can select the skirt separately from the rest of the body or your copy of the skirt. You can then delete the rest or simply hide it to work with your newly created skirt template.
I hope this helps! Of course feel free to shoot back any more questions as you journey into clothing creation!
Elv
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Re: Extracting Helper Geometry

Postby MatCreator » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:25 am

Worked like a charm, many thanks =)

I extracted the helper geometry from makehuman/makeclothes in the past, and even vaguely remember having something of a template I created to use for other 3d programs with the various parts already separated, but I do not recall having to use this process to break apart the helpers. Also, I'm very limited in my experience with Blender, but if when we choose the MakeCloth settings to load the figure with detailed helper geometry (in the presets option under the "settings" tab), why does it fuse the geometry?!? Seems ass backwards, no?
MatCreator

Return to Blender and MPFB