Makeclothes 2 - Ear area in my hood distorted in Makehuman

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

Makeclothes 2 - Ear area in my hood distorted in Makehuman

Postby Madesomehumans » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:08 pm

I just signed up and have to particpate more before contacting a member directly. Culturalibre has made lots of hoods, so would know the answer.

But I made a bodysuit in Blender. Everything works great when I use makeclothes except the ear area is distorted. I know it's because I deleted the ears in the hood and Makehuman is having problems associating the ear targets with the earless hood but I can't figure out how to fix it. I spent all day yesterday trying to sort this out. Now I come here pleading for help. :)

I attached a photo of the outfit in Makehuman.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Madesomehumans

Re: Makeclothes 2 - Ear area in my hood distorted in Makehum

Postby joepal » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:46 am

Looks as if you have fitted the hood to the ear vertices in that area. This is probably not what you want. Instead create a vertex group "head" on the human and assign all relevant verts excluding the ears. Then create a similar group on the clothes.

This is how you control the mapping between face on clothes and face on human: using the same vertex group names.

This way you can exclude detailed/deforming verts from the calculation.

The ear geometry should be assigned to the "Delete" group in this case.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Madesomehumans » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:28 pm

Would I add the ears to a delete group in the clothes themselves? This is how I have the vertex groups set up now.

HumanGroupsBody.JPG
Human body group
HumanGroupsDelete.JPG
Human Delete Group
ClothesGroupsBody.JPG
Clothes body Group
Madesomehumans

Postby joepal » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:39 pm

No, the delete group decides which parts of the human body is hidden by the clothes. So the delete group should not exist at all on the clothes.

So the problem in the images is that you've assigned the entire clothes piece to the "body" group. In many cases this is the right thing to do, and it will work technically. However, when the clothes complex parts of the body, or parts that deforms in a complex way, you will want to avoid matching the clothes to those parts of the human.

So what you should do is create a new vertex group "head" on the clothes mesh, and another vertex group "head" on the human. Then mark the vertices belonging to the hood as such (on the clothing) and "remove" them from the "body" vertex group, and instead "assign" them to the "head" group.

On the human, mark the vertices of the entire head except the ears and assign them to the "head" group. On the human select the vertices on the ears and assign them to the "Delete" group.

Now when you produce clothes, the lower parts of your clothing will be matched against the "body" group on the human, but the hood part of the clothes will be matched against the "head" group.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby Madesomehumans » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:30 am

Okay. I did that. But now the ears are sucked into the head.

Capture2.JPG
Madesomehumans

Postby Elvaerwyn » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:11 am

This distortion often happens when a vertex from the area around the ear part of the hood is still mistakenly referencing a vertex on body somewhere else...is there any way you can post your blend file and or the clothing item with error here for examination? That being said, what joel said is right, I would delete all vertex groups on the clothing completely, set all the body part to body vertex group and the hood to head vertex group as created freshly from only the scalp for head, and only the arms, torso for the body.
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby Madesomehumans » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:05 pm

Elvaerwyn wrote:This distortion often happens when a vertex from the area around the ear part of the hood is still mistakenly referencing a vertex on body somewhere else...is there any way you can post your blend file and or the clothing item with error here for examination?

I tried everything you both said but can't get it to work. So I added the blend file as an attachment to this post. Thanks for everyone's help. :)
Attachments
3-5-2021-MHMBodySuit-Help.blend
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 191 times
Madesomehumans

Postby joepal » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:15 pm

Something is very wrong in the file you posted, but I cannot put my finger on exactly what.

I played around a bit, thinking it might help to inflate the suit a bit so that it does not intersect the faces of the body mesh (alt + s, scale along normal). I then produced clothes:

clothes_1.png

clothes_2.png

The results are very unexpected. It seems scaling along the x-axis is way off despite that I have "applied all transforms". In blender it looks like this:

clothes_3.png

This confused me, since I don't remember seeing such a behavior from such a relatively simple case. I then went ahead with a new blend file, imported the "male-helper" mesh, extraced the "body" group as clothes, and removed some verts to make it similar to the body suit. I then scaled it a bit along normals and produced clothes.

In makehuman, the result looks like this:

clothes_4.png

This looks more like I would expect it to do.

I've tried to debug what the difference between the two files is, but failed to come up with an answer. Pure speculation, but have you modified the human mesh in any way? Such as added or removed any vertices?

@PunkDuck: Do you have any ideas?
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
joepal

Postby Madesomehumans » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:38 pm

joepal wrote:I've tried to debug what the difference between the two files is, but failed to come up with an answer. Pure speculation, but have you modified the human mesh in any way? Such as added or removed any vertices?

Since you mentioned it, I thought I might have since I used the male helper and ended up deleting all the helpers manually. But I made a fresh project and imported the basic male-body predefined human. I then marked all the seams on it and duplicated it, and marked the duplicate as clothes. I re-did the suit and the ears are still deformed.
Madesomehumans

Postby Madesomehumans » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:00 am

I think I found my mistake. I had been largely ignoring Offset Scaling because I didn't know what that meant. But it apparently has to do with this. So I made the hood and bodysuit as separate pieces of clothing. Setting the hood's offset scaling to "head" fixed it. The bodysuit had to be changed to "torso" because when set to "body" the neck was distorted. I was hoping to do the bodysuit as a one piece, but that might not be possible. One draw back to doing them separately is that there's a visible seam between the head and body. But it's not too bad.
Madesomehumans

Next

Return to Blender and MPFB