Transforming targets into shape keys (or custom properties)

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

Re: Transforming targets into shape keys (or custom properti

Postby nomorecookies » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:54 am

I have not found an acceptable procedure to do that. But, there is an amazing addon for blender that does wonders transferring shape keys, but it still has a problem with exactly that situation. Perhaps though, if you use the addon to transfer vertex groups first, then transfer the shape keys you might have some luck. also, perhaps scale down the helper geometry of the eyeball and try to transfer the shapekeys using the addon after that. i gave up a while back trying to do it easily, but did find some work arounds. For example, you can use the same procedure i described earlier, and use makeclothes to define the eye as 'Human' then you can use MakeShapes to export the shape keys of the eye itself and bring them in again for other models. the problem with this prodecure is it will only work on an identical model. I spent quite a bit of time saving all the shape keys for the eyes, only to find out when i imported them to a different character, they would not work properly becuase they seemed to be adjusting to the height/shape of the original captured character. Oonce i saw that, i basically stopped trying. I am using UE4 eyes anyway so it did not matter that much to me.
Here is that amazing addon
https://gumroad.com/l/tOKEh

It is free.

Good luck!
nomorecookies

Postby joepal » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:47 pm

The problem is the same as for clothes. If you apply a basemesh target that expands the stomach, it won't deform a t-shirt applied on top of the body. You'd have to replicate the whole clothes fitting logic in order to update the separate meshes attached to the body mesh in order to fix this. Technically, eyes and clothes (and eyelashes, teeth, tongue and so on) are the same thing.

To implement this would not be completely impossible, but it's a bit of work and a lot of math.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby nomorecookies » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:19 am

Thankfully, that plugin for Blender that i mentioned works beautifully in the case of transferring the shape keys to clothing. I was astounded at how quickly, and well it worked. Literally saved my entire project.

But it is my dream to see that functionality built in to MakeHuman itself :)
nomorecookies

Previous

Return to Blender and MPFB