Multiple Characters rig_ui.py

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

Multiple Characters rig_ui.py

Postby TCarp » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:50 am

I have made about seven characters in MH for an animation project. I exported them as an MHX2 from MH. I imported them into a blender file for each character with the MHX2 import with face shapes, face shape drivers, and a rigify rig. I like this method of importing into blender from MH because the of the face shapes, visems from moho support, and all the options of a rigify rig. The new import method still seems limited. I made many changes to each character in blender. This includes: masking under-layers, adding my preferred eyeballs, UV Unwrapping clothing, materials and shading and adding and brushing hair. It takes about an hour-and-a-half per character. I noticed yesterday when I tried appending each character from their character blender file into a scene file for the animation project that the first character didn't import with the "misk" tab where the rigify adjustments are. As you may be aware, these adjustments include needed things such as: rig layers, ik_fk switch, and pole target switch. I undid the blender append and then appended the rig_ui.py text. I ran that text code and then appended the character. That character, when his rig was selected, had the rigify user interface. I then appended the next character. She did not have the rig UI when I selected her rig. I undid that, ran the ri_ui.py script again and tried re-appending her. She still didn't have the user interface. Can I find the needed rigify adjustments somewhere else? How can I append multiple characters and have this Rig UI for each of them?
Sorry if this is a lengthy problem, I didn't know who/ where else to turn to to get an answer.
TCarp

Re: Multiple Characters rig_ui.py

Postby TCarp » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:05 am

I made my own rigify rigs and had this issue. I asked on blender artists and was told a solution that worked.

https://blenderartists.org/t/user-inter ... ed/1231957

There should be a way to name each part and the rig-ui.py file with MHX2 rigify rigs. This should allow multiple rigs to be appended into a blend file and each one having a custom user interface python code setup.
I know many of you are using the new blender MH bridge, which is fine. I just find it lacking at this early point in facial controls (shape keys and visems) and the rigify rig is specially designed with many adjustments for animators.
Anyway, I hope this gets a solution because it will save a lot of time rigging each character.
TCarp

Postby joepal » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:59 am

See also https://youtu.be/imcPi_rQfMA, although it is by no means a solution for your needs yet
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby TCarp » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:11 pm

joepal wrote:See also https://youtu.be/imcPi_rQfMA, although it is by no means a solution for your needs yet

Thanks I just tried this and I don't have the add rigify rig button. I installed the the latest blender community plugin, 0.7.0 and didn't have this button in blender 2.9 and blender 2.83.
Also I think this community, MH, should add the option to name the rigify rig before creating it so that way multiple characters can be appended into the same blender scene without them running into each others' rigify python script.
TCarp

Postby TCarp » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:19 pm

I found the rigify MPFB github branch. We should still include a way to name each rigify rig (or use the MH metadata name) so multiple characters can be appended into the same blender file without running into each others' rigify UI script.
TCarp

Postby TCarp » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:31 pm

Still waiting on the way to name each rigify rig before creating it. Right now multiple characters made this way can't be in the same blender file and have the rig UI work properly because of bon and rig part naming.
In addition, I used the rigify feature set from GitHub and the breasts bones were put on the back of my character instead of the front. Everything else was correctly oriented. Does anyone know what might of caused this?
TCarp

Return to Blender and MPFB