Help creating a "trim" on clothing

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

Help creating a "trim" on clothing

Postby KuraiWolf » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:38 am

I am trying to create a sort of "trim", or in this case a "stripe" I guess, on a pair of shorts. Like those women's athletic shorts with the stripe down the side. Like the ones in the attached image. What would be the easiest way to do that? I am using substance painter for textures, but am still trying to figure out how to make a simple straight line down a sleeve or pants leg. I thought it would be easier to make the shape of the stripe in the geometry and then just put it into it's own UV "island" or separated UV piece, then just UV mask it in substance. What do you guys recommend?
Attachments
shorts_example.png
KuraiWolf

Re: Help creating a "trim" on clothing

Postby Elvaerwyn » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:23 pm

Depends on how the shorts were crafted, this can be as easy as painting a texture in gimp/ps to as difficult as making a separate stripe in blender or other 3d application and painting it separately. In MD_marvelous designer there is a technique called offset internal line-cut and sew. This results in exactly this border stripe outline effect. Maybe tell us more of how you make the shorts and your workflow for texturing items.
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby KuraiWolf » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:02 pm

I am starting with a part of the human model geometry cutout in the basic shape of shorts. Like selecting the polygons of the character model and then cutout the selection as it's own object. I am now trying to use the "knife" tool in edit mode to make the shape of the trim. I need to be able to have the trim separated in the UV map so I can select it's "island" in substance painter to make sure I only paint on it.
KuraiWolf

Postby Elvaerwyn » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:27 pm

Im not familiar with substance painter-does a uv seperation work if so just make a seam where you want the different part to be for uv unwrap then unwrap with the seam as part of shorts.
Elvaerwyn

Postby KuraiWolf » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:03 am

It's just like any other UV mapping. You would, in this case, mark a seam where you want to separate the main part of the mesh from the trim. In substance, you can just select UV "islands" like you can in blender UV editor. That is what I was meaning by UV island mask. I just select the island of the "trim" and then paint it a separate color than the rest of the shorts. I am just not sure how to accomplish the trim its self in the model. I attached a screenshot showing an example of what I am trying to do. This is an image of shorts from a game called splatoon 2. You can see I selected the polygons that make up the trim. They clearly made the trim in the model its self. I need to be able to do that so I can use it as a "guideline" to help make the texture. Freehanding this isn't the best idea. So I am trying to use the geometry as a guide when texturing.
Attachments
shorts_example2.png
KuraiWolf

Postby Elvaerwyn » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:14 am

yes thats what im saying, blender side you just select edges and mark seam I will show screenshot of menu
Attachments
markseam.png
Elvaerwyn

Postby KuraiWolf » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:00 am

I know how to do that, but I have no clue how to make an actual modeled trim in the geometry its self. I need to actually make the trim geometry in order to even UV it in the first place.
KuraiWolf

Postby Elvaerwyn » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:51 am

I am sorry...I thought from your supplied image that you had in fact created the shorts and the trim, and had not figured how to seam the outline of the trim area for uv unwrap to paint in another program. I'm quite confused as to what you have done, what you need to do and to those ends how to proceed helping. In your image it shows a shorts in blue with a white trim, this is already ready to be unwrapped if there is a seam around the trim area. I am sorry again for confusion.
Elvaerwyn

Postby loki1950 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:37 pm

What he posted Elvaerwyn is a photo so he really has't started yet ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby KuraiWolf » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:33 pm

The screenshot of the blue shorts was a render from a ripped model from a video game called "splatoon 2". I was showing that they managed to do the trim in the model geometry and not just a freehand stripe or anything like that. In the texture for that model, the trim is actually separated like I was wanting to do. But I need to make an actual modeled trim like I highlighted in the screenshot of the ripped model. I want to achieve the same sort of geometry that was done in that example. But it seems that is going to be really hard to do.
KuraiWolf

Next

Return to Blender and MPFB