Two MakeClothes questions

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

Two MakeClothes questions

Postby makerobot » Mon May 08, 2023 12:36 am

Two minor issues I am having with makeclothes in Blender. I am doing an "extract from helper -->> body" and it kind of works, however it is too small and does not actually cover the human body. Scaling causes too much height increase. Is there an easy way to increase the fitment of the garment even slightly? It seems like ideally the body fitment would be just enough such that the clothes render over the body. Right now I am getting the opposite. I tried scaling to the normals also, but again it causes way too much z-axis growth.

Also, the clothing is not attached to the human model or bones at all. I can pose the human but the clothes do not pose in tandem. I assume I am skipping one important step. There is a scarcity of good tuts on makeclothes right now so I apologize if this is a basic question. I am trying to model a basic black wetsuit so my application is quite basic -- just a black envelope slightly larger than the human.
makerobot

Re: Two MakeClothes questions

Postby tomcat » Mon May 08, 2023 2:38 pm

makerobot wrote:It seems like ideally the body fitment would be just enough such that the clothes render over the body. Right now I am getting the opposite.

Can you post a screenshot of the problem?

Also, the clothing is not attached to the human model or bones at all. I can pose the human but the clothes do not pose in tandem.

That's not how it works. I'm not sure if the helper can fit the character at all.

The workflow is as follows:
  1. Creating clothes in Blender. Binding the clothes and the character.
  2. Importing the clothes into MH.
  3. Customizing the character and applying the clothing.
  4. Import back into Blender.
Then the clothes will actually move with the character.

But you can make it simpler than that. There are Bodysuits among the assets, and you can use them as a basis:

There is even a ready-made wetsuit. With accessories.

Foreigners' reactions to Russian "Bird's Milk" candies
— Are your birds being milked?
— In Russia everyone is milked. Here even the zucchini is used to make caviar.
tomcat

Postby makerobot » Mon May 08, 2023 5:18 pm

Thank you for your help! I guess I am a bit confused, I thought that MPFB and MakeClothes were intended to function entirely within Blender. I mean, they do function entirely within Blender except for the issues I mentioned. I should have mentioned, I'm not trying to create a clothing asset, instead I am just trying to create character I can drop into a specific scene.

I was aware of the avaiable scuba diver models but the diving equipment is a little dated looking. I am planning to model a more typical BCD and regulator. I will take another look at the wetsuit though, thank you.
makerobot

Postby Worker11811 » Mon May 29, 2023 4:47 pm

I find it virtually impossible to make a clothed MH character where the body doesn't peek through the clothing, at least a little bit. Yes, if you work at it, you can get them to work right about 90% of the time but not all of the time.

The only way I have found to make sure the body doesn't show through is to use a masking modifier on the body mesh.

Define a vertex group that covers the body areas of concern then peg it to the masking modifier. When the modifier is active, the body parts in question will be invisible, leaving the clothing intact.

You can automate the masking modifier using keyframes/actions or, if you are using the visibility function that comes on the character when you import it from MH into blender, the masking modifier will activate or deactivate when you change the visibility status of an item of clothing.

If you have multiple items of clothing, such as a T-shirt underneath an overcoat, you can create multiple masking modifiers on the body and the individual items of clothing so that clothing doesn't peek through other clothing as well as the body.

If I was making a character wearing a full-body suit like the diver, pictured above, I'd make a masking modifier that hides everything except the hands and face. That way, none of the character's body can ever show through the wetsuit.

One caveat: Make sure your masking modifiers come at the bottom of the stack. Be sure that the armature modifier comes BEFORE the masking modifiers, else the armature modifier won't have anything to work on and your clothes will come out all wonky.
Worker11811

Return to Blender and MPFB