Blender throws an error when enabling MPFB2 plugin

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

Blender throws an error when enabling MPFB2 plugin

Postby Grrvvpp23 » Mon May 22, 2023 7:39 am

Hello!

I can't make the MPFB2 plugin work in blender, once I install the add-on, when I enable it throws this following error and I can't seem to find what's causing it:

[INFO ] mpfb.init ..............................: Build info 20230518
[INFO ] services.locationservice ...............: mh_user_dir is not explicitly set but autodiscovery is disabled
[INFO ] services.uiservice .....................: Rebuilding the list of available importer presets (for presets panel)
[INFO ] services.uiservice .....................: Rebuilding the list of available importer presets (for importer panel)Exception in module register(): C:\Users\User1\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.4\scripts\addons\mpfb\__init__.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.4\3.4\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py", line 369, in enable
mod.register()
File "C:\Users\User1\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.4\scripts\addons\mpfb\__init__.py", line 113, in register
import mpfb.ui
File "C:\Users\User1\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.4\scripts\addons\mpfb\ui\__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
from mpfb.ui.newhuman import *
File "C:\Users\User1\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.4\scripts\addons\mpfb\ui\newhuman\__init__.py", line 11, in <module>
from .frompresetspanel import MPFB_PT_From_Presets_Panel
File "C:\Users\User1\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.4\scripts\addons\mpfb\ui\newhuman\frompresetspanel.py", line 15, in <module>
PRESETS_HUMAN_PROPERTIES = SceneConfigSet.from_definitions_in_json_directory(PRESETS_HUMAN_PROPERTIES_DIR, prefix="FPR_")
File "C:\Users\User1\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.4\scripts\addons\mpfb\services\sceneconfigset.py", line 23, in from_definitions_in_json_directory
known_properties = BlenderConfigSet.get_definitions_in_json_directory(properties_dir)
File "C:\Users\User1\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.4\scripts\addons\mpfb\services\blenderconfigset.py", line 40, in get_definitions_in_json_directory
data = json.load(json_file)
File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.4\3.4\python\lib\json\__init__.py", line 293, in load
return loads(fp.read(),
File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.4\3.4\python\lib\json\__init__.py", line 346, in loads
return _default_decoder.decode(s)
File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.4\3.4\python\lib\json\decoder.py", line 337, in decode
obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.4\3.4\python\lib\json\decoder.py", line 355, in raw_decode
raise JSONDecodeError("Expecting value", s, err.value) from None
json.decoder.JSONDecodeError: Expecting value: line 12 column 5 (char 685)

I don't know what I did wrong but I can't Python, it seems there's some JSON deserialization error but I can't solve it. I followed the installation instructions, didn't do anything else that could affect this. I just installed the MH plugins, then I realized there was already version two, and when I went to enable it I found myself with this problem. The other plugins worked fine, even removing them didn't change anything.

Any help will be very appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Grrvvpp23

Re: Blender throws an error when enabling MPFB2 plugin

Postby joepal » Fri May 26, 2023 9:37 am

That doesn't look good. I'll take a look at it. In the meantime, I've created a bug report at: https://github.com/makehumancommunity/mpfb2/issues/106
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby joepal » Fri May 26, 2023 10:30 am

Ok, there is not enough info for figuring out what is happening here.

I've made a code change for providing a better error report for when failing to read propertied, and rebuilt the nightly.

Can you install the latest nightly build from https://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman/plugins/ and test again? It will most likely still crash, but the error message should be more informative.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Grrvvpp23 » Sat May 27, 2023 10:41 am

I don't know what else changed besides the better error reporting, but this time it worked! I installed the add-on again, and I could enable it and use it correctly in the right bar.Thank you so much for your help!!
Grrvvpp23

Postby rogerturcotte » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:50 am

Beyond the improved error reporting, I am unsure of what else was modified, but it was successful this time! wordle today The second time I installed the add-on, I was able to successfully enable it and navigate to the right bar to use it.Much obliged for the assistance you extended.
rogerturcotte

Postby sitkitten » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:08 am

It says on the website that it's developed for 2.9, so there's little chance that it'll work flawlessly in any newer version. Unless you know what you're doingbasketball stars (you know Python and can explore the patch notes to locate the breaking changes), you'll need to ask the addon maintainer to update it.
sitkitten

Return to Blender and MPFB