Mac Mini crashes in Blender "bake" only

Discussions about MakeHuman, Blender and MPFB. It is ok to ask for general Blender support here, even if it isn't directly related to MakeHuman

Mac Mini crashes in Blender "bake" only

Postby Joshea » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:31 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but Blender Artist have not replied. My Mac Mini keeps crashing when I try and bake anything, including cloth simulation. Anyone else that uses a Mac experience this problem in the past and somehow fixed it?
I've been able to work around it, but would really like to have the bake option available, especially with clothes.
Thanks.
Joshea

Re: Mac Mini crashes in Blender "bake" only

Postby joepal » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:48 pm

This is really hard to answer without seeing the crash log, which I don't know how to find on a mac. But there should have been a text file created somewhere with information about what exactly went wrong.

However, in my experience, baking tends to crash when there is too little working memory available. There seems to be some sort of out of memory protection missing there somewhere.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Joshea » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:39 pm

joepal wrote:This is really hard to answer without seeing the crash log, which I don't know how to find on a mac. But there should have been a text file created somewhere with information about what exactly went wrong.

However, in my experience, baking tends to crash when there is too little working memory available. There seems to be some sort of out of memory protection missing there somewhere.

Joel,
Thanks for the reply. I do suspect it's lack of memory. A new computer is coming with a major ram upgrade.
Joshea

Postby Worker11811 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:05 pm

When a program crashes on Mac OS, the crash reporter should pop up with a window that has a lot of seemingly indecipherable code in it. That's where you'll find the reason that Blender crashed.

Typically, you'll find an entry that contains the phrase "crashed thread." Under that entry you should see the phrase "sigsegv." That means that the OS sent a signal back to the app which stopped execution and shut the program down.

You'll probably find another phrase that says "EXC_BAD_ACCESS." That means that the app tried to access a part of the computer's memory that it's not allowed. That is because the memory that the program "asked" for isn't there. (i.e. Out of Memory Error) It can also be because the program tried to access memory that the OS won't allow. (i.e. Out of Bounds Error)

Out of memory errors can often be solved by putting more RAM in the computer.

Out of bounds errors are often occur because the programmer(s) were sloppy and didn't check their code but it can also happen when you have a lot of kernel extensions that you don't really need.

Try restarting your Mac, holding down the SHIFT key until the Apple logo appears. This will shut off all kernel extensions and boot the computer up in "Safe Mode." This may or may not solve your problem. Even if it doesn't, you'll know that the problem is likely not caused by bad extensions.

If that's the case, you'll need to submit a bug report and wait for a software update.
Worker11811

Postby Joshea » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:08 pm

Worker11811 wrote:When a program crashes on Mac OS, the crash reporter should pop up with a window that has a lot of seemingly indecipherable code in it. That's where you'll find the reason that Blender crashed.

Typically, you'll find an entry that contains the phrase "crashed thread." Under that entry you should see the phrase "sigsegv." That means that the OS sent a signal back to the app which stopped execution and shut the program down.

You'll probably find another phrase that says "EXC_BAD_ACCESS." That means that the app tried to access a part of the computer's memory that it's not allowed. That is because the memory that the program "asked" for isn't there. (i.e. Out of Memory Error) It can also be because the program tried to access memory that the OS won't allow. (i.e. Out of Bounds Error)

Out of memory errors can often be solved by putting more RAM in the computer.

Out of bounds errors are often occur because the programmer(s) were sloppy and didn't check their code but it can also happen when you have a lot of kernel extensions that you don't really need.

Try restarting your Mac, holding down the SHIFT key until the Apple logo appears. This will shut off all kernel extensions and boot the computer up in "Safe Mode." This may or may not solve your problem. Even if it doesn't, you'll know that the problem is likely not caused by bad extensions.
Cheers

If that's the case, you'll need to submit a bug report and wait for a software update.

Hey Worker 1, thanks for the reply.
It's turned out to be a lack of ram. My present Mac Mini only has 8 GB of Ram, which is nowhere near enough for what I do in Blender. Apparently this fall Mac is coming out with a new Mini with 24 GB of ram, and that's what I'll go with.
The Mac Studio (32 GB ram) was what I was also considering, but with the economy teetering, and inflation rearing it's ugly head, the Mini is easier for me to acquire. In the meantime, I'm just working on smaller projects, and redoing the "Alive" animation course. Plus is gives me a second chance on rewrites for the next short I was hoping to have out by years end.
Joshea

Postby Worker11811 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:00 am

YVW! Glad you got it figured out. :)

However, your current Mac Mini might not be a lost cause. Several models can accept memory upgrades.

Check out this page at Other World Computing to see if your Mac is capable: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/mac-mini

I've got a Mac Pro that's going on fifteen years old and still going strong. All I've ever done to it is upgrade memory, replace the hard drives and reinstall the OS from scratch every year or so. I've got 24 GB of RAM and four x 4 TB drives. It might not be the fastest Mac, anymore, but it still runs as well as the day it was new.

Replacing drives and adding RAM is far cheaper than buying a new computer. Besides, you earn a lot of geek cred when you can keep an old computer running in top condition for that long. ;)

Do check out that site. OWC is one of the top sites to buy upgrades and accessories for your Mac. They'll give you store credit for returning used RAM sticks which you can use toward the purchase of new. They also guarantee that their RAM will work in your computer, provided you follow their instructions.

I've been using OWC for years and I only ever had one problem with RAM not working. They exchanged the goods for new, no questions asked. When I told them that I was working on an important project for a paying client, they even cross-shipped me the new RAM. (They sent me the replacement, immediately, on the promise that I'd send them back the non-working one as soon as I received the package.)

I don't know which flavor of Mac Mini you have but, assuming yours has upgradable RAM, you might be able to keep your machine going long enough for you to save up and get the computer you really want.
Worker11811

Postby Joshea » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:59 pm

Worker11811 wrote:YVW! Glad you got it figured out. :)

However, your current Mac Mini might not be a lost cause. Several models can accept memory upgrades.

Check out this page at Other World Computing to see if your Mac is capable: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/mac-mini

I've got a Mac Pro that's going on fifteen years old and still going strong. All I've ever done to it is upgrade memory, replace the hard drives and reinstall the OS from scratch every year or so. I've got 24 GB of RAM and four x 4 TB drives. It might not be the fastest Mac, anymore, but it still runs as well as the day it was new.

Replacing drives and adding RAM is far cheaper than buying a new computer. Besides, you earn a lot of geek cred when you can keep an old computer running in top condition for that long. ;)

Do check out that site. OWC is one of the top sites to buy upgrades and accessories for your Mac. They'll give you store credit for returning used RAM sticks which you can use toward the purchase of new. They also guarantee that their RAM will work in your computer, provided you follow their instructions.

I've been using OWC for years and I only ever had one problem with RAM not working. They exchanged the goods for new, no questions asked. When I told them that I was working on an important project for a paying client, they even cross-shipped me the new RAM. (They sent me the replacement, immediately, on the promise that I'd send them back the non-working one as soon as I received the package.)

I don't know which flavor of Mac Mini you have but, assuming yours has upgradable RAM, you might be able to keep your machine going long enough for you to save up and get the computer you really want.

Thanks for the great Mac ram upgrade info. :D
Unfortunately I have a late model (2014). I see that the 2018 mini's can be upgraded to 64 GB of ram. Don't like to buy used, since stung in the past, but 2018 is not that old.
The first Mac (1990 I think) I had was a Mac Classic, with that tiny screen, but wow! It made my life so much easier. Especially after trying an IBM with DOS, well…I probably don't have to say any more.
The first brand new, out of the box, Mac was my 2014, and other than not enough ram, it's never given me a moment's problem.
Joshea

Postby Worker11811 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:59 am

Yup, the 2014 has soldered-in RAM... the only one. :(

If you wanted to put in more RAM it would require major surgery. While not impossible, it's not for the home gamer. It requires knowledge of SMT (surface mount) rework techniques. It also requires special (and expensive) equipment.

I worked on an SMT assembly line. I know how to do the work but I wouldn't attempt to do it anywhere but a fully equipped workstation. I would never even think of trying it at home.

It kinda' peeves me off that Apple would make a computer with soldered-in RAM in this day and age.

I understand your hesitancy to buy a used computer. On the other hand, if I was going to buy a refurbished computer, OWC is one of the few places I would even consider. Even with their guarantees and factory warranty policy, it's still caveat emptor.
Worker11811

Return to Blender and MPFB