Assets now available on zip.

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Assets now available on zip.

Postby b1bb2 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:25 am

I put all the user contributed assets from makehumancommunity.org into 16 zip files, totalling 8.8 GB. The largest is clothes, 4.8 GB. They can be downloaded from *. I will also consider sending them by USA postal mail with much more content. Your comments on all this will be appreciated. I asked for this bulk zip format and I was told it is not available. So I did it myself. Now the work is done and I am happy to share.

edited here is new link, about half size and only CC0.
b1bb2.com/b/Downloads/application/makehumancommunity.org/sites/default/files/20210901/assetts/CC0/CC0.htm
Last edited by b1bb2 on Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
b1bb2

Re: Assets now available on zip.

Postby Elvaerwyn » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:57 pm

Greetings,
I am not sure why you took it upon yourself to do that, as this is in the works for the devs. The reason being? Because the assets as you may of noticed, are not all the same at all. The assets need to be bundled according to certain constraints and categories. The main issue is obvious....the CC0 and CC-by cannot be packaged together at all. That being said, I have not looked at your bundles, as my time is very limited atm. However if you have bundled other creators works with your packages-you seriously need to think about what you are doing? The asset repository is of course available for all people to use including yourself, but this in no means offers you leverage to package and share these assets anywhere else but this site.
All CC-by assets in a package shared by a third person would lose their respective licensing that is visible on the makehuman asset pages. The Devs as I stated before are working on doing this for the community, and when they are completed-the work will be shared with everyone equally then. This has been a request for some time and it does increase as the asset repo grows.
Elv
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby b1bb2 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:29 pm

I took it upon myself to do that because I wanted it done and I did not know it was being worked on by someone else. I asked viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19840 before I started this project. Here is the answer: "this will not happen in the foreseeable future"

I assumed that CC-by was attrubited within the file itself, this is often the case. OK, I removed the link. I can try to remove the CC-by files. This sounds tedious but simple.

You say "The assets need to be bundled according to certain constraints and categories." More details please? It seems each asset file needs to put in a certain place, usuially the data folder. The hard part is figuring out which file goes where. Am I right?

You say "this is in the works for the devs." Would you like outside help?
b1bb2

Postby Elvaerwyn » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:42 pm

Greetings,
So yes, in regards to the discussion and work, it has taken place mostly in private developer forums in regards to many requests made by people over time in the public forums. Joel, has in fact now a fully fleshed out working page for explanation and downloads for this to be quite frank but his time being limited and decisions still yet to be made it has not been implemented publicly yet and that is up to him to decide to do. So you might consider this an alpha test page at present. In regards to the bundle constraints, they are numerous and diverse, and still being fleshed out at present. If Joel requires more help from outside his developer pool I am sure he will call out publicly, but always you are free to offer and help, that is very nice to see any offers of time and effort!
Elv
Elvaerwyn

Postby joepal » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:46 pm

I still question the usefulness of a complete zip with everything. But if you think there's a use with it, there's nothing stopping you from producing such a zip. I'd recommend making the licenses of each asset clear though, as this information is not always immediately apparent from the asset files as such. You, and users who download your zip, will still need to abide by the cc-by license for the assets licensed such.

In related news, I have not been entirely inactive regarding bundles of assets. There are zips with checked and sorted assets here: http://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman ... index.html

This is not complete, but I plan on keeping on adding more bundles during the fall.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Elvaerwyn » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:30 pm

joepal wrote:I still question the usefulness of a complete zip with everything. But if you think there's a use with it, there's nothing stopping you from producing such a zip. I'd recommend making the licenses of each asset clear though, as this information is not always immediately apparent from the asset files as such. You, and users who download your zip, will still need to abide by the cc-by license for the assets licensed such.

In related news, I have not been entirely inactive regarding bundles of assets. There are zips with checked and sorted assets here: http://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman ... index.html

This is not complete, but I plan on keeping on adding more bundles during the fall.

Ty Joel for posting that link!!!
;D
Elv
Elvaerwyn

Postby b1bb2 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:10 am

A large repository downloaded on zip is very useful to me because my working computer is not connected to internet.
I put many CC0 asset files into zip package: b1bb2.com/b/Downloads/application/makehumancommunity.org/sites/default/files/20210901/assetts/CC0/CC0.htm
I wrote a bash file to put files in the proper place: b1bb2.com/b/Downloads/application/makehumancommunity.org/sites/default/files/20210901/assetts/CC0/method/b8.sh
It is still work in progress. Has this been done before?
I started a new thread about putting files in the proper place: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19870
b1bb2

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader