Download and install all at once

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Download and install all at once

Postby TrashHunter » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:19 pm

Hello :)

With the latest release of MakeHuman it is possible to install assets inside the program. This is already a huge progress, because it frees me (the user) from copying the corresponding files then to the right places.
But... it is tedious to click through all the assets, not seeing the often non-existent previews and downloading each one individually.
I'd rather see the assest, whether skin, topology, clothing, or hair, etc, in state on my models to be able to decide. That's why it would be great if there was a function / button in MakeHuman that allows you to automatically download AND install ALL assets that have not been downloaded yet.
This would save a lot of time and effort, and given modern hard drive capacities, it shouldn't be a problem.

So: Start MakeHuman -> Community -> One click -> Zack, everything new ready installed.

That would be really great.
TrashHunter

Re: Download and install all at once

Postby Elvaerwyn » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:03 am

Allo
And welcome! Lots of Ideas regarding this positive change are being kicked around at present. The team is very much aware of the desire for this, or something similar! Ty though for the time you took to suggest! Also keep tuned as this will likely be implemented at some point in the not too distant future!
Elv
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby joepal » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:10 pm

It'd be very redundant to download everything, as it is unlikely you'd use the majority of it. We're talking about approx 10 gb of assets, which would take quite some time to download on slow connections. This quite apart from us quickly reaching the maximum traffic limit on the hosting we have for the assets.

However, the problem with not being able to get an overview of the assets and what's useful is very real. To this end, we're currently experimenting with "asset packs" containing reviewed and vetted assets from the repositories, organized in such a way that they'll be easy to find.

This is not really official yet, and Elv has given me very valid feedback on the organization of the asset packs, for example that we shouldn't mix CC0 and CC-BY assets inside one asset pack. So it will not look exactly like this when announced officially. But there's a draft of how it could look at http://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman ... index.html

Also, we would want an extension in the asset downloader to be able to download the packs inside MH.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Lukong » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:40 pm

joepal wrote:It'd be very redundant to download everything, as it is unlikely you'd use the majority of it. We're talking about approx 10 gb of assets, which would take quite some time to download on slow connections. This quite apart from us quickly reaching the maximum traffic limit on the hosting we have for the assets.

However, the problem with not being able to get an overview of the assets and what's useful is very real. To this end, we're currently experimenting with "asset packs" containing reviewed and vetted assets from the repositories, organized in such a way that they'll be easy to find.

This is not really official yet, and Elv has given me very valid feedback on the organization of the asset packs, for example that we shouldn't mix CC0 and CC-BY assets inside one asset pack. So it will not look exactly like this when announced officially. But there's a draft of how it could look at http://download.tuxfamily.org/makehuman ... index.html

Also, we would want an extension in the asset downloader to be able to download the packs inside MH.

I know this is irrelevant. But I need to send you a private message. I don't know if your a MH Dev or a Forum Admin.
Got good ideas and Forum just logged me out while typing it in.
Also don't know if I'm being Air-hacked or hacked email [So I may or may not see or be responding your messages]

Also what your might want is something like Modders have for Fallout4 & Skyrim [Other than Mod Organizer's Hook System & FO4Edit's Conflict/Load Order/Plugins] or SR4 Modding Tools [Find Game Object to Extract w/Related File Types > Use Tool to Rename > Edit Files needed > Package Edited as Mod]
- An Override Folder: Drop Files w/Folder Structure & matching names to 'Load over' default files via Hook'g [Folder = 'ModOverrides'
= For Override Folder 2.0 [Simple Clone]: allow a Text/Config.ini file that users can edit to do simply adding via Template.ini = Item your Basing off
> Objects that are Overrided via File & Item Name in Folder [Same as Mods or separate Folder for Config File in/with Zip/Folder's path]

- Have Batch features for WORKFLOW's SAKE [There will be people who will create big packages not just 1, 1, 1 items]
Put a 'Start:' keyword before 'Find Base/Replacer' if multi-objects are in the same place
= Use / [Or another Symbol picked by Devs] to avoid repeating filepaths w/same name [e.g. pants.model/texture]
= Use * [Or another symbol picked by Devs] to avoid listing all related types [e.g. pants.* = .model/texture/material/etc]
= Use () [Or another symbol picked by Devs] to avoid having to list related files that have differing names
[e.g. pants_l.texture, pants_b.texture = (pants).texture] via search within Brackets
= Use , [Or another symbol picked by Devs] to allow users to list multi-objects in the same folder
[e.g. Find Base: pants.model, shirt.model > Replacer: shorts.*, vest.texture] and by using specific extension you can pick which type
= Use ; [Or another symbol picked by Devs] to allow users to list multi-clones from an object
[e.g. Pants > Replacer: shorts; capris; overalls; skirt]
= If Find Base has more extensions than Replacer > assume the Replacer's Name [not extension] has a file.type to replace that Base File.type
[Find: pants.model/texture > Replace: shorts.model = Replacer is also 'shorts.texture' that is the folder of model w/same name]
= Also its safe to assume that by just using the name w/o extensions that what ever the Replacer's files are those are the only thing replacing the Find Base
= Auto-Generate a Load Order File that Users can edit or Refresh to fine tune mod loading & if ModClones are moved into ModOverride and -elif- Clone files/config.ini are missing then disable or confirm removal [Remove via Missing/Delete Files, Install via Dropping Files...simple]
= When using / in 'New Item Slot' > Before / [Name/...] adds a New Slot over Find Base Slot or After / [.../ Name] adds a SubSlot to Find Base Slot
= When using // in 'New Item Slot' > similar to Before -Find Base-, but effects the Replacer [For people basing Mods off other Mods or changes in Mod]
= No New Item Name = Override'g [Complex using the Config.ini, but cleaner than to drop the files w/Folder structure which is difficult to remove later]
= No New Item Slot = using the Find Base Slot
= Using * at the end of a Folderpath assumes your Override'g the Find Base w/the Replacer

e.g. Clothing/Torso/Shirt.model/texture vs Pose/Sitting.model [> = Enters, ]
- Find Base: Shirt.texture > Replacer: ModClones/[Package.zip/Folder Name]/Clothing/Torso/Sweater.texture [User's] > New Item Name: Knit Shirt [User's]
- Find Base: Shirt.model/texture > Replacer: ModClones/Clothing/Torso/Vest.model [User's] > New Item Name: Vest [User's] > New Item Slot: OverTorso [User's]
- Find Base: Sitting.model > Replacer: ModClones/Pose/SittingCrossLeg.model [User's] > New Item Name: Female Sitting [User's] > New Item Slot: /Female [User's]
Lukong

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader