dariush086 Ponytail Materials

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

dariush086 Ponytail Materials

Postby MTKnife » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:34 am

I'd like to thank you for adding some great new colors for Pontytail01, dariush086. However, as I've said before, you really need to change the name of your red material: it uses the same filenames as an earlier asset by punkduck--meaning that, in the asset downloader, no who's already downloaded the older one is going to even see yours available. And anyone downloading yours manually is going to have to change the filenames.
MTKnife

Re: dariush086 Ponytail Materials

Postby RobBaer » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:28 pm

If assets are separated into separate subfolders, then there should not be name collisions for materials across assets should there? Its only when two materials images are in the same folder that one would get name collisions.

Is this 2 images with the same name for ponytail01? Wouldn't you be able to use subfolders even there (with appropriate paths in the .mhmat) to take care of this issue?
RobBaer

Postby MTKnife » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:20 pm

I that that would work, yes. However, the asset downloader doesn't do anything like that, so either way you're going to have to do something manual to make it work.
MTKnife

Postby RobBaer » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:57 pm

MTKnife wrote:I that that would work, yes. However, the asset downloader doesn't do anything like that, so either way you're going to have to do something manual to make it work.

I know you tend to be a big asset downloader. Do you think material name collisions are common now or likely to become more common in the future as the database gets bigger? I guess the question is really whether this is a "one off" or a design flaw that should be handled more formally somehow. Assets are supposed to get unique uuids, but unfortunately material texture names are harder to handle in this manner.
RobBaer

Postby MTKnife » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:06 am

RobBaer wrote:
MTKnife wrote:I that that would work, yes. However, the asset downloader doesn't do anything like that, so either way you're going to have to do something manual to make it work.

I know you tend to be a big asset downloader. Do you think material name collisions are common now or likely to become more common in the future as the database gets bigger? I guess the question is really whether this is a "one off" or a design flaw that should be handled more formally somehow. Assets are supposed to get unique uuids, but unfortunately material texture names are harder to handle in this manner.

This is the only one I know of, so I hesitate to say it's as systemic problem. (OK, actually I think it happened one other time, when punkduck uploaded a red Ponytail01, and I renamed mine to fix that one--so, weirdly, this one filename has been involved in both examples.) However, it's possible it would have happened more often if people hadn't been careful to avoid the collisions; the most prolific contributors are probably also the same people who are most aware of what's in there already. But as the database gets larger and larger, it will become more and more difficult to do that from memory. In this case, I had to go back and double-check, looking at details of files, to verify that most of the "new" assets were actually old ones that had been updated: before that, I thought he was colliding with multiple materials (his own, as it turned out), not just the one that he'd collided with before.

Looking at things from another perspective, a better way to fix this problem might be to do something that would be more generally useful: add a search function to the asset site; a simple exact search would be quite useful, but something that used a slightly more sophisticated algorithm, like Levenshtein distance, would be any better (and if it were in Python, I'd volunteer to do it). OTOH, the code that would allow the asset downloader to detect collisions would also allow it to detect updates to existing assets, which would, again, but more generally useful.

In the case of dariush86, I suspect half the problem is he isn't reading this, just as he didn't read the last time I mentioned the issue.
MTKnife

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader