Clothes Request

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Clothes Request

Postby DerekX » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:41 am

This is my first asset request. Could someone make a heroine-like miniskirt? Specifically, I'm thinking of the kind Sailor Moon wears. The material doesn't have to be too fancy, just a plain white...
DerekX

Re: Clothes Request

Postby Elvaerwyn » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:58 pm

Greetings!

And welcome :D
I will take a look at this, and see what I can do with it!
Elv
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby DerekX » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:37 pm

Sounds good Elv, although could you also make sure the background of diffuse textures is transparent?

Scratch that suggestion, I was looking at Mindfront's assets, specifically his knitted sweaters. They have an orange background where it should be transparent.
DerekX

Postby MTKnife » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:40 am

I'm not sure what you mean by "background"--do you mean the color ("diffuse" in the files) that's used when there's no material?
MTKnife

Postby DerekX » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:54 am

MTKnife wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "background"--do you mean the color ("diffuse" in the files) that's used when there's no material?

Background color, if that's easier to understand. And yes, this is for the diffuse texture. I saw your pleated miniskirts too, but I was thinking thicker/wider pleats.
DerekX

Postby DerekX » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:05 am

Come look here to see more examples of what skirt I'd like made. https://heroesofthestorm.fandom.com/wiki/Tracer/Skins Scroll down to view the Divine Herald section.
DerekX

Postby Elvaerwyn » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:07 am

Well I think I completely misunderstood lol! I went and made a full costume for that toon, dress and medallion anyway. I came back to see if maybe you had posted any preferred era information. This conversation seems to have veered off in many different directions? I will post images of what I did thusfar. I did not realize you only wanted a pleated skirt. I made one of those ages ago and dropping the front should not be too much effort.
Elv
Attachments
sidetexture.png
side with texture in mh
sailorfrontal.png
sailormoon outfit front
sailorback.png
sailormoon outfit back
medallion.png
medallion blender side
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby DerekX » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:53 pm

Yeah, my request was just the skirt part. It didn't have to be exactly for Sailor Moon. You probably get the general idea now, right?
DerekX

Postby MTKnife » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:03 pm

DerekX wrote:
MTKnife wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "background"--do you mean the color ("diffuse" in the files) that's used when there's no material?

Background color, if that's easier to understand. And yes, this is for the diffuse texture. I saw your pleated miniskirts too, but I was thinking thicker/wider pleats.

I'm still not sure what the "background" is. My skirt, for example, has a material file that uses a PNG texture created by "baking" a material in Blender (the original texture imported into Blender was an actual photo of plaid cloth, IIRC, as I find these give better results). However, some very simple MH clothes just use a color specified as "diffuse" in the MHMAT file--you can alter this by hand, or in the "Materials Editor" under the "Utilities" tag. If your texture file covers the whole object, the "diffuse" color should be irrelevant--and a piece of clothing can be transparent (some part of it has an "alpha" less than 1) whether you're using a texture file or a uniform diffuse color.

As for my skirt, I can tell you briefly how I did it, but it was an utter PitA, and I don't want to do it again--I don't feel motivated to make clothes very often, and I've got a few other ideas I'd like to work on if I do. It took me something like a year and a half or two years off and on, and I only finally managed to get it to work once I realized from some of Elv's stuff that I could use triangles. The basic method was to pull an edge loop out of the clothing helper, and transform it in Blender into a Bezier curve, and then repeat a single pleat along that curve with an array modifier (you've got to scale it just right to make sure you produce an even multiple of objects); the process of making an array around an uneven curve will make some of the pleats a little bigger or smaller than others, but not so much that anyone will notice. Because it has to be a single surface, you literally have to make the thing like you'd make the real skirt (as opposed to attaching multiple folds to the same vertex): you fold panels over one another, and make the waistband separately.

At least, that's how mine is done, because I wanted the geometry of the skirt to be a real pleat. The other way to do it, as I believe Elv does, is to make the geometry unpleated, and then apply a normals texture to create the pleats. It's harder to create deep pleats that way (I assume--I'm not good with normals, honestly), and I doubt it would work well with patterned cloth like a plaid/tartan, but you get a more realistically uneven wrinkly appearance.
Last edited by MTKnife on Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTKnife

Postby DerekX » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:19 am

MTKnife wrote:
DerekX wrote:

I'm still not sure what the "background" is. My skirt, for example, has a material file that uses a PNG texture created by "baking" a material in Blender (the original texture imported into Blender was an actual photo of plaid cloth, IIRC, as I find these give better results). However, some very simple MH clothes just use a color specified as "diffuse" in the MHMAT file--you can alter this by hand, or in the "Materials Editor" under the "Utilities" tag. If your texture file covers the whole object, the "diffuse" color should be irrelevant--and a piece of clothing can be transparent (some part of it has an "alpha" less than 1) whether you're using a texture file or a uniform diffuse color.

As for my skirt, I can tell you briefly how I did it, but it was an utter PitA, and I don't want to do it again--I don't feel motivated to make clothes very often, and I've got a few other ideas I'd like to work on if I do. It took me something like a year and a half or two years off and on, and I only finally managed to get it to work once I realized from some of Elvs' stuff that I could use triangles. The basic method was to pull an edge loop out of the clothing helper, and transform it in Blender into a Bezier curve, and then repeat a single pleat along that curve with an array modifier (you've got to scale it just right to make sure you produce an even multiple of objects); the process of making an array around an uneven curve will make some of the pleats a little bigger or smaller than others, but not so much that anyone will notice. Because it has to be a single surface, you literally have to make the thing like you'd make the real skirt (as opposed to attaching multiple folds to the same vertex): you fold panels over one another, and make the waistband separately.

At least, that's how mine is done, because I wanted the geometry of the skirt to be a real pleat. The other way to do it, as I believe Elvs does, is to make the geometry unpleated, and then apply a normals texture to create the pleats. It's harder to create deep pleats that way (I assume--I'm not good with normals, honestly), and I doubt it would work well with patterned cloth like a plaid/tartan, but you get a more realistically uneven wrinkly appearance.

Wow. Well it's still a decent skirt. And I agree with the geometry part, I do have some prior experience with meshes in Blender. :)
DerekX

Next

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader