would it be posible to make a torrent with all the assets?

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

would it be posible to make a torrent with all the assets?

Postby whatyouwant » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:55 am

would it be possible to make a torrent with all the assets? this would be an ideal solution to the server-side problems of not being able to download all the assets.
whatyouwant

Re: would it be posible to make a torrent with all the asset

Postby joepal » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:13 pm

Sharing via torrent is not a bad idea. But from what I understand about the nature of torrents, they're static. Once you create a torrent, it's only valid for the files that were around at the time of the torrent's creation. If you want to publish added or modified data, you'll have to launch a new torrent. So it would not pick up new stuff in the asset repo.

But I guess it would be possible to create new torrents at specific intervals, such as monthly.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: would it be posible to make a torrent with all the asset

Postby whatyouwant » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:23 pm

joepal wrote:Sharing via torrent is not a bad idea. But from what I understand about the nature of torrents, they're static. Once you create a torrent, it's only valid for the files that were around at the time of the torrent's creation. If you want to publish added or modified data, you'll have to launch a new torrent. So it would not pick up new stuff in the asset repo.

But I guess it would be possible to create new torrents at specific intervals, such as monthly.

yeah, that would probably be the best option.
whatyouwant

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader