Makehuman ponytail not flexible

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Makehuman ponytail not flexible

Postby Joshea » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:34 pm

Hi,
I'm working on an animation using a makehuman female model with the standard makehuman ponytail. When she turns her head the bottom third of the ponytail stays put. Like it's caught on something. The weight paint is all blue. I've tried baking in both particles and physics, but nothing. I've tried different physic settings, nothing. I'm attaching two pics showing the problem.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Attachments
head turned.png
head straight.png
Joshea

Re: Makehuman ponytail not flexible

Postby joepal » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:05 pm

Seems to be an automatic weight issue.

If you weight paint the ponytail with the "head" group selected and paint it all red, it'll start to behave like you'd expect.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Joshea » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:40 pm

joepal wrote:Seems to be an automatic weight issue.

If you weight paint the ponytail with the "head" group selected and paint it all red, it'll start to behave like you'd expect.

Thanks jeopal for replying. I tried the weight paint, but it didn't work out. I've also put out feelers to Blender Artists for a solution, but nothing yet.

I'm probably going to cut the ponytail shorter, because redoing the model with short hair and then re-animating all the scenes is mind boggling time consuming. And my skill set for modelling new hair is not adequate for this.
Joshea

Postby loki1950 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:19 am

It might help is you actually added some bones within the hair mesh getting any mesh to move properly needs a rigged mesh.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby joepal » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:34 am

Joshea wrote:

Thanks jeopal for replying. I tried the weight paint, but it didn't work out. I've also put out feelers to Blender Artists for a solution, but nothing yet.

I'm probably going to cut the ponytail shorter, because redoing the model with short hair and then re-animating all the scenes is mind boggling time consuming. And my skill set for modelling new hair is not adequate for this.

I did this: Deleted all vertex groups except "head" on the ponytail mesh. Weight painted head group red.

wp.png
wp.png (63.3 KiB) Viewed 5757 times

This only took a few seconds. But obviously this doesn't help with having to redo a whole lot of scenes if you have multiple instances of the character.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Aranuvir » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:38 am

Though you can make a script of it ;) . I've been experimenting with a pt-rig operator. Being able to add rigs to multiple ponytails at once, would be a missing feature :D. Honestly admitted, I haven't had the problem. yet...
Aranuvir

Postby Joshea » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:30 pm

joepal wrote:
Joshea wrote:

I did this: Deleted all vertex groups except "head" on the ponytail mesh. Weight painted head group red.

wp.png

This only took a few seconds. But obviously this doesn't help with having to redo a whole lot of scenes if you have multiple instances of the character.

OK, got it, thanks.
Joshea

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader