Problem with My New Skirt

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Problem with My New Skirt

Postby MTKnife » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:25 pm

I posted a new asset, "Pleated miniskirt" (http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... skirt.html), a couple of days ago, and two people have reported problems with it in comments to the asset itself. The first comment was vague, but second one noted this error:

Problem loading binary mesh: ('compiled file missing: %s', 'I:/Mes documents/makehuman/v1py3/data/clothes/_DRESS/Pleated_miniskirt/pleated_miniskirt.npz')

I'm not sure whether he put the extra directory layer ("_DRESS") himself, or what, but obviously the "npz" file should be created by the application (which is has been on my machine). Anyone seen this before? Has anyone tried to skirt successfully?
MTKnife

Re: Problem with My New Skirt

Postby Marco_105 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:47 am

Yes I got this problems, and I upload the object mesh in Blender and saw what is it.
Poke face on every quad are there!
So, in edit mode I select one of them (center of quad) and did "amount of connecting edge" feature, then X >dissolve vertices.
Makeclothe of the whole mesh and that's it.

Now it's run nicely.
Marco_105

Postby MTKnife » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:02 am

Yes, the faces are poked. That's necessary because, as quads, the pleats are non-planer quad faces. While non-planar faces will render, they tend to do weird things--in this case, the middle layer of some pleats shows through the top layer, especially near the waistband. Poking the (quad) faces fixes this, and, since it creates tris, the whole mesh then has to be made up of tris, and poking the entire mesh is the easiest way to accomplish that (admittedly, it creates some tiny tris in places where they aren't needed, but only in the sense that you get 4 tris where you need only 2). When I run MakeClothes, it tells me my max number pole size is 8, but up to 16 is allowed.

What did you set the max number of connections to? Did you end up with quads rather than tris?

In any case, I can't figure out why it would work as-is on some machines, but not others. What OS are you using? Is it a binary installation or the Python source?
MTKnife

Postby Marco_105 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:49 am

I do that on W7 64, and when I have some tri in the clothe it didn't allowed to run Makeclothe.
I don't know how hack the process!
Marco_105

Postby MTKnife » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:44 am

If you try to save a mesh that's part tris and part quads by hitting the "MakeClothes" button in Blender, it'll tell you it has to be all tris or all quads--and I know that Elv in particular has created a lot of tri assets.

What exactly does it do when you try to load up the skirt? Does it still for half a minute or so? If you've got the "Smooth" setting on (it's in the top row of icons in the GUI", trying turning that off before loading the skirt. I've had to do that with some of Elv's assets, but I assumed the issue was a memory error (too many vertices in the assets) rather than tris per se. How much RAM do you have?
Last edited by MTKnife on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTKnife

Postby Marco_105 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:54 am

Oh yes I know now you can work with TRI, I didn't traduc correctly the msg.
In fact when I DL your assets and fit it on a model MH don't made the .npz file, I don't know why.
But yes the pleat are problems in mesh, like you say the face intersect!
Otherway, I have 16Go ram.
Marco_105

Postby MTKnife » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:35 pm

I wonder if I uploaded and updated version and forgot one of the files? I'll try again tonight--I wanted to edit the mesh anyway.
MTKnife

Postby MTKnife » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:51 am

I uploaded the files again--try it now?
MTKnife

Postby naflatem » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi,
I had the same issue.
Changed the max-pole in mhclo-file to 24. Than it worked and created the .npz file.
Thanks for this wonderfull asset.
Naflatem
naflatem

Postby MTKnife » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:20 pm

Ah, I see now after some Googlng that you have to do this with tris. I believe 16 (double the actual 8) should work. I can upload a fixed version tonight.

Thanks!
MTKnife

Next

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader