Elv's Belf Dress/Newchaindress

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Elv's Belf Dress/Newchaindress

Postby MTKnife » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:11 am

I like this dress but it simply won't display on some of my models (I select it, I wait 30 seconds or so, and it finishes processing, but nothing shows up, and it's not selected anymore if I switch tabs), or it works sometimes for a a model, but not at other times (maybe a memory issue or some kind, or a conflict with another asset?).

I've also noticed that, if a model isn't suitable buxom, the "bodice" (such as it is) hangs out in the air; a similar thing happens around the crotch, though to a lesser extent.
MTKnife

Re: Elv's Belf Dress/Newchaindress

Postby MTKnife » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 am

Actually, I'm having the same problem with Elv's Princess Hair and Hippy Hair, and her older Anime Ponytail.

Am I the only one? Maybe it's some custom targets applied to certain models?
MTKnife

Postby punkduck » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:56 pm

MTKnife wrote:I like this dress but it simply won't display on some of my models (I select it, I wait 30 seconds or so, and it finishes processing, but nothing shows up, and it's not selected anymore if I switch tabs), or it works sometimes for a a model, but not at other times (maybe a memory issue or some kind, or a conflict with another asset?).

I've also noticed that, if a model isn't suitable buxom, the "bodice" (such as it is) hangs out in the air; a similar thing happens around the crotch, though to a lesser extent.

On my box it works fine. I tried "official" and new Alpha 3 version. Especially because I did small changes for catmull-clark algorithm to calculate the number of neighboring planes.

So one questions is: do you switch subdivision on (the button called "Smooth" in MakeHuman)? If so, the number of faces will be 4 times as much. It makes sense for low-res dresses but not for this detailed one. Although it works on my box (but needs some time so). But especially when you export to Blender via mhx2 it is a bad idea to use "smooth", the algorithm in Blender is much better, because it also subdivides UV map correctly.

If things appear one time and later they won't it is normally a problem with memory (or memory on graphics card!).

The dress and also the hair you mentioned were modeled on the helper. So if you are using own custom targets, check if these targets do change the helper also.

Unfortunately most people (including myself :roll: ) only read half of the maketarget documentation. Then we try our target on a nude body and believe we are ready.
But that's only half way. Long time ago Marco_105 did his targets for female body shape, All my clothes created on the body worked perfectly but those on the helpers unfortunately not.

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13777&start=3

I just thought of writing a better tutorial, but Jujube already did that (especially in part 4 she wrote about helpers):

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14637

So if you are not sure and use custom targets of other users: when you look into target files and the highest vertex number is smaller than 13380, then no helper is changed.

Especially this is not specific for Elvs assets, it is a technical problem of the targets and all other clothes created on helper will also not work correctly.
punkduck

Postby MTKnife » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:13 am

It's not custom targets: I eliminated all custom targets from one of the problematic models, and that didn't change the behavior one whit.

However, turning off subdivision did work...and seems, weirdly, to have fixed the shape of the dress as well.

If this is a memory problem, that's a little scary--this machine is hardly a workstation, but it's got 16GB of RAM and a GPU with I think 4GB.
MTKnife

Postby joepal » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:21 pm

Remember that we're running a stone age version of opengl. It's possible you run into memory boundaries which are due to legacy rather than limitations in the hardware.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader