Sci-Fi Helmets / Plasma Guns

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Sci-Fi Helmets / Plasma Guns

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:13 pm

Has anyone done (or care to do) something along the lines of a helmet or ray gun for Sci-Fi scenes usable by either gender?
Resized_20171213_130042.jpeg

Then there's ray guns. http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the_10_mos ... ce_fiction
Antiqua_Sphinge

Re: Sci-Fi Helmets / Plasma Guns

Postby Mindfront » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:09 am

Some kind of an ordinary helmet like military? Or anything extraordinarily?
Mindfront

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:03 am

Mindfront wrote:Some kind of an ordinary helmet like military? Or anything extraordinarily?

Something similar to the pic would work as it's a decent design to shed flak / shrapnel while also being cost-effective in low-tech / colonial venues.

Adding night-vision / ranging goggles while being futuristic would be overkill.
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby Mindfront » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:54 am

The helmet in the picture have fabric on the surface, is that what you want or shall it be of metal?

I guess it should look like it has being used for a long time?
Mindfront

Postby brkurt » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:16 am

Antiqua_Sphinge wrote:Has anyone done (or care to do) something along the lines of a helmet or ray gun for Sci-Fi scenes usable by either gender?
Resized_20171213_130042.jpeg

Do you want to look realistic, or fantastic.?

I'm designing a mini-rail gun that fits into the forearm of a character in a story I'm completing, so you'd get the gauntlet plus the weapon.
The idea being that my character's body armor charges up the weapon between uses, and he doesn't have to carry it around.

So...probably it will be on the left guantlet, so as to leave his right arm free.
:geek:

Does that interest you? Should take about a day to prototype. :)
brkurt

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 am

Mindfront wrote:The helmet in the picture have fabric on the surface, is that what you want or shall it be of metal?

I guess it should look like it has being used for a long time?

A dull painted metal works as camouflage covers vary by environment, the example fabric working in wooded terrain (temperate or tropical settings).
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:01 am

brkurt wrote:
Antiqua_Sphinge wrote:Has anyone done (or care to do) something along the lines of a helmet or ray gun for Sci-Fi scenes usable by either gender?
The attachment Resized_20171213_130042.jpeg is no longer available

Do you want to look realistic, or fantastic.?

I'm designing a mini-rail gun that fits into the forearm of a character in a story I'm completing, so you'd get the gauntlet plus the weapon.
The idea being that my character's body armor charges up the weapon between uses, and he doesn't have to carry it around.

So...probably it will be on the left guantlet, so as to leave his right arm free.
:geek:

Does that interest you? Should take about a day to prototype. :)

Sounds good, and better than what I was going to try to adapt and model.
Broomhandle Mauser C-96 3.jpg
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby brkurt » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Antiqua_Sphinge wrote:Sounds good, and better than what I was going to try to adapt and model.

What you've started with is an 1895 Mauser 7.62 mm semi-automatic pistol, the first of its kind. Good idea. :D

Now..how about using the handgrip as its battery?

And, a glowing clip, with named charges on each 'cartridge'.

Since it won't need triggers, you can come up with interesting things that seem useful.

The idea is to keep it 'steam punk'; the basic shape doesn't change, although the functions do.

My weapon will be rigged; it will assemble itself as it comes out of the gauntlet. (Rail guns have electromagnet arrays, rather than a barrel). :geek:
brkurt

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:33 pm

brkurt wrote:
Antiqua_Sphinge wrote:Sounds good, and better than what I was going to try to adapt and model.

What you've started with is an 1895 Mauser 7.62 mm semi-automatic pistol, the first of its kind. Good idea. :D

Now..how about using the handgrip as its battery?

And, a glowing clip, with named charges on each 'cartridge'.

Since it won't need triggers, you can come up with interesting things that seem useful.

The idea is to keep it 'steam punk'; the basic shape doesn't change, although the functions do.

My weapon will be rigged; it will assemble itself as it comes out of the gauntlet. (Rail guns have electromagnet arrays, rather than a barrel). :geek:

'Broomhandle' Mauser does lend itself to either 'steam punk' or futuristic as it was the basis for the DL-44 sidearm in "Star Wars".

The fun part will be figuring out how to model it.

Rail guns are indeed interesting considering a solid projectile accelerated by one potentially releases a lot of energy on impact.
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby brkurt » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:12 am

Here is a the first (rough!) sketch of the Gauntlet Rail Gun.

My idea is that making a certain kind of first (something from Wushu Kungfu) the gun is activated, and assembles itself, always giving the soldier an update on its charge and integrity.

brkurt

Next

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader