Proxymesh Textures

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Proxymesh Textures

Postby Elvaerwyn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:27 pm

Having converted a set of wings to a proxy, I have encountered the problem of the mesh not working with existing or custom textures. Having searched for help with this matter, I found the following, *As a special notice: If you want existing skin textures to work with your proxy, you need to UV unwrap so that it fits upon an existing skin texture image* Can someone who has successfully ported their object to proxy form please weigh in on how they managed to accomplish this goal? At present, wings as proxy loads as a whole body alteration, however only solid skin texture works..well solidly. All mapped textured end up oddly stretched over existing body and wings evenly.
Attachments
wingproxy.png
Image of skin over proxymesh.
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Re: Proxymesh Textures

Postby MTKnife » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:43 am

That's extremely tricky. The problem is that the existing textures rely on a particular UV map: assuming you simply added a bunch of new vertices for the wings, you could copy the existing map from one of the default humans, but you wouldn't have a texture for the wings. But you could use that as a starting point, then UV-unwrap just the wings, and move the wing islands to a spot outside the current texture (I think you can do that), then expand the texture file to match, using GIMP or the like (and supply appropriate skin in the new areas). What I've just described is quite a job, though.
Last edited by MTKnife on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTKnife

Postby punkduck » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:26 pm

Elvaerwyn wrote:Having converted a set of wings to a proxy, I have encountered the problem of the mesh not working with existing or custom textures. Having searched for help with this matter, I found the following, *As a special notice: If you want existing skin textures to work with your proxy, you need to UV unwrap so that it fits upon an existing skin texture image* Can someone who has successfully ported their object to proxy form please weigh in on how they managed to accomplish this goal? At present, wings as proxy loads as a whole body alteration, however only solid skin texture works..well solidly. All mapped textured end up oddly stretched over existing body and wings evenly.

Hi

I've done that for my proxies, okay I done the changes to recreate the textures of parts I normally do not show in my pictures, but these parts make a female character complete :oops: ... Nevertheless the technique is the same. I try to give it as an example. As you can see, I changed the texture so that I can create detailed areaolas as islands, because I didn't like the tiny dots of the original one. My texture also works without my female genitalia proxy like the original skin textures.

proxy_meshes.png

My technique was like this:
  • I loaded an unchanged proxy (.obj file). The vt-lines of the obj-file are the texture coordinates. I select all vertices and openend the UV-editor.
  • Since the seams aren't visible in Blender I did a "seams from islands" in the UV-Editor
  • I pinned all the vertices of the mesh
  • I unpinned the vertices directly used for the areaolas
  • I create a seam round the areolas
  • I did a new UV-unwrap, all parts except the areolas will stay in place. Two biiig discs for the areolas are created also.
  • I resized both areolas equally and rotate them, so that they have the same orientation like the rest of the body and put them to the place you see in the picture.
  • Then I pinned them also for future modifications
  • Then I changed the textures with GIMP

When I would do the wings my idea would be similar. The empty space on the texture map is not very big. So the first idea would be to use e.g. only 3 different feathers. Unfortunately the best way to do this is to create the first UV-unwrap of a feather directly after you created it and pin the vertices. Because when you pin vertices of the feather and copy the feather later, they will exactly use the same part of the texture-map. You can also use this method before you mirror a wing (when you look at my assets, especially shoes, I have done that).

When you are now in the sad position to redo the wings, then this is not the best method, I know. If you have allready unwrapped your proxy, then you have same the problem, that the texture from now on will appear in another position. This is even a bigger problem. In this case the best thing you can do, is to separate the wings from your proxy, throw the old one away and load it again, pin all vertices in the UV-map, make the "create seam from islands" and refix the wings to the new proxy. After refixing it, create a seam where the wings are fixed to the mesh and do an UV unwrap. If you want to use the space-saving method for the feathers, you have to create seams between feathers.

Then you have to place the new islands on the texture-map in some empty space like I've done with the areolas.

I hope this will help. Don't give up, these wings should have a good texture, because I like the idea ;)
punkduck

Postby Elvaerwyn » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:04 am

Ty so much for your input, I think i have copies of the wings kicking around both individual and mirrored from my long session in blender creating them feather by feather lol! I shall give this a try as soon as time allows, wish me luck! ;)
She who knows in repose with prose...
Elvaerwyn

Postby punkduck » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:19 pm

Elvaerwyn wrote:Ty so much for your input, I think i have copies of the wings kicking around both individual and mirrored from my long session in blender creating them feather by feather lol! I shall give this a try as soon as time allows, wish me luck! ;)

Okay, I wish you luck or better some kind of endurance you might need to do it. :mrgreen:
punkduck

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader