Female Hairstyles

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Female Hairstyles

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Would it be possible for someone with a lot more skill than I have to do some alternate colors for Braid01 and Long01?

Red, auburn, raven blue-black, and dirty blonde would be nice additions.

I tried MargaretToigo's suggestion with GIMP and the result was it didn't work.

It would be nice to see Native American braid (one on each side), but I realize that's wishing for a lot.

Thank you.
Antiqua_Sphinge

Re: Female Hairstyles

Postby brkurt » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:27 am

Antiqua_Sphinge wrote:Would it be possible for someone with a lot more skill than I have to do some alternate colors for Braid01 and Long01?

Red, auburn, raven blue-black, and dirty blonde would be nice additions.

I tried MargaretToigo's suggestion with GIMP and the result was it didn't work.

It would be nice to see Native American braid (one on each side), but I realize that's wishing for a lot.

Thank you.

Yes, I can do that for you; I have already done short braids on both sides in the past; check some of my hairstyles in user contributions. All that is need is to extrude a few more polygons to make the braids longer.

For the different colored hairs, you need an SVG editor like Inkscape rather than GIMP. That way you can spray new colors onto a different layer, keeping the original brown hair beneath. (And yes, I know this can be done in GIMP, but GIMP was designed as a raster editor, and Inkscape was designed for just this sort of problem.)

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/clothes/braided_pig_tails.html
brkurt

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:59 pm

brkurt wrote:Yes, I can do that for you; I have already done short braids on both sides in the past; check some of my hairstyles in user contributions. All that is need is to extrude a few more polygons to make the braids longer.

For the different colored hairs, you need an SVG editor like Inkscape rather than GIMP. That way you can spray new colors onto a different layer, keeping the original brown hair beneath. (And yes, I know this can be done in GIMP, but GIMP was designed as a raster editor, and Inkscape was designed for just this sort of problem.)

I have InkScape. What I lack is the prerequisite knowledge and therefore the skill to do recolors the way you suggested.
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby MargaretToigo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:44 pm

I have just uploaded eight new materials for Long_01. Enjoy.
MargaretToigo

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:29 pm

MargaretToigo wrote:I have just uploaded eight new materials for Long_01. Enjoy.

Ma'am, you have my honest appreciation, and thank you.

If you like speculative fiction, PM an email and I can forward e-copy of my work (mobi or epub format).
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby MargaretToigo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:40 pm

I hope y'all like the new colors.

I just uploaded nine new materials for Braid01.

Of course, some colors are gonna look better than others. Since the original diffuse textures on Long01 and Braid 01 were dark, the darker colors look better -- more contrast and color depth.

Conversely, if the original texture is a lighter color, then lighter colors usually look better.
MargaretToigo

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:49 pm

MargaretToigo wrote:I hope y'all like the new colors.

I just uploaded nine new materials for Braid01.

Of course, some colors are gonna look better than others. Since the original diffuse textures on Long01 and Braid 01 were dark, the darker colors look better -- more contrast and color depth.

Conversely, if the original texture is a lighter color, then lighter colors usually look better.

Ma'am, they look good to my composite vision [seeing UV bandwidth alters some shades]. Now the (actually) fun job of cloning folders to load the different shades.

The offer of reading material [gratis] stands. Thank you again.
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby brkurt » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:43 pm

Antiqua_Sphinge wrote:
brkurt wrote:Yes, I can do that for you; I have already done short braids on both sides in the past; check some of my hairstyles in user contributions. All that is need is to extrude a few more polygons to make the braids longer.

I have InkScape. What I lack is the prerequisite knowledge and therefore the skill to do recolors the way you suggested.

It is an under-used app, because most people start with PhotoShop. Inkscape's advantage is that every brush stroke (gradient) is a separate object; that allows endless use and re-use of said brushstroke. Nothing is ever destroyed; you just keep the original as an under layer. :)

Once I get my karate animation tutorial finished, I'll put up something about Inkscape. :geek:
brkurt

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:20 pm

brkurt wrote:It is an under-used app, because most people start with PhotoShop. Inkscape's advantage is that every brush stroke (gradient) is a separate object; that allows endless use and re-use of said brushstroke. Nothing is ever destroyed; you just keep the original as an under layer. :)

Once I get my karate animation tutorial finished, I'll put up something about Inkscape. :geek:

I have Pinta, GIMP, and InkScape, using each to do different tasks. InkScape is handy for adjusting an image with low DPI to a size that is effectively higher (i.e.: from 78 to 300 DPI).

A tutorial for total graphic novices would be nice as I might be able to do some of my own stuff then.
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby GORYGIRL1996 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:38 am

brkurt wrote:
Antiqua_Sphinge wrote:

It is an under-used app, because most people start with PhotoShop. Inkscape's advantage is that every brush stroke (gradient) is a separate object; that allows endless use and re-use of said brushstroke. Nothing is ever destroyed; you just keep the original as an under layer. :)

I KNOW THIS IS A NEW COMMENT AN A VEEEEERY OLD PSOT BUT..DO U STILL DO HAIR MODELS FOR MAKEHUMAN? IF SO I HAVE SOME VRAID MODEL IDEAS I WANNA SEE MADE. SO IF POSSIBLE, CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE?
GORYGIRL1996

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader