Assets plugings not working

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Assets plugings not working

Postby successful » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:27 am

Hi,
I am having problems with the "assets plugins" and downloading clothes from the community page of Makehuman. When I click on the clothes link, the "save as" option doesn't appear, but a "save link as" option appears which takes me to a text page, with a html format and not the MH format necessary for saving models/characters. So I can't save clothes from the MakeHuman community page. So I had to install the "assets downloader" plugins (2) When I uploaded models to mixamo, through the "assets downloader" I installed in the makeHuman software, the textures were missing from my model/character. So, I reinstalled the "assets downloader plugins, but noticed, the "download" button had disappeared. (3) So I tried reinstalling different versions of the MakeHuman software, and the "assets downloader plugins", again, and noticed MakeHuman won't open, but gets stuck on "8_community_assets" when it's loading, and just won't open as long as the "assets downloader plugins is installed. Please advice. Thanks so much.
successful

Re: Assets plugings not working

Postby blindsaypatten » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:22 pm

If you want to save assets from the website use Chrome or Firefox rather than Edge. I'm guessing you are using Edge because this problem exists with Edge.

I'm not sure what you mean by using the asset downloader to upload models to mixamo...

If you already have one of the user assets downloaded then the asset downloader won't give you a download option for that asset.

The original asset downloader plugin takes a very long time going through all of your existing assets during startup, during which time the 8_community_assets will be shown, likely you just need to wait longer for it to finish that process.
blindsaypatten

Postby successful » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:24 pm

blindsaypatten wrote:If you want to save assets from the website use Chrome or Firefox rather than Edge. I'm guessing you are using Edge because this problem exists with Edge.

I'm not sure what you mean by using the asset downloader to upload models to mixamo...

If you already have one of the user assets downloaded then the asset downloader won't give you a download option for that asset.

The original asset downloader plugin takes a very long time going through all of your existing assets during startup, during which time the 8_community_assets will be shown, likely you just need to wait longer for it to finish that process.
successful

Postby successful » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:56 pm

blindsaypatten wrote:If you want to save assets from the website use Chrome or Firefox rather than Edge. I'm guessing you are using Edge because this problem exists with Edge.

Last edited by successful on Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
successful

Postby successful » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:19 pm

(1)Thanks sooooo much for your reply. I tried using chrome and firefox, but it still won't give me a "save as" option.

(2) "asset downloader to upload models to mixamo..." means, I downloaded hair and some clothes on my model, through the "community" tab I installed into MakeHuman, exported them to obj files, and tried to upload them to the "adobe mixamo auto rigger". Before I installed the assets downloader, I could upload my models, in obj files to "adobe mixamo" and it would still have skin color, and color on her clothes. But after I installed the assets downloader and all the problems I went through trying to get it to work (it works now!), when I upload models/characters to "adobe mixamo", my models and their clothes all have one greyish white color, though I had placed "material" on them, before saving and exporting.

(3) I fixed the "makeHuman not opening, after "assets dowloader" re-insatllation" problem by going to "document/makehuman/v1/data/community assets"; I then deleted the "community assets" folder, probably installed from the previous installation that I had done earlier. This was apparently blocking my attempt to open MakeHuman. Once I deleted the "community assets" folder, and restarted MakeHuman with "assets downloader" re-installed, MakeHuman opened as normal, then I had to synchronize (again), the "assets downloader"

(4) Nevertheless, my models/characters that I export with obj/fbx files are not exporting with color on their skin/hair or clothes. I'll sincerely appreciate your advice on the issue. Thanks
successful

Postby blindsaypatten » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:37 pm

successful wrote:(1)Thanks sooooo much for your reply. I tried using chrome and firefox, but it still won't give me a "save as" option.

In Chrome I can right-click on the texture thumbnail and then click "Save link as..." or I can left click on the thumbnail to view the texture image and then right-click and "Save image as...". But if you have the asset downloader working that is an easier option.

successful wrote:(2) "asset downloader to upload models to mixamo..." means, I downloaded hair and some clothes on my model, through the "community" tab I installed into MakeHuman, exported them to obj files, and tried to upload them to the "adobe mixamo auto rigger". Before I installed the assets downloader, I could upload my models, in obj files to "adobe mixamo" and it would still have skin color, and color on her clothes. But after I installed the assets downloader and all the problems I went through trying to get it to work (it works now!), when I upload models/characters to "adobe mixamo", my models and their clothes all have one greyish white color, though I had placed "material" on them, before saving and exporting.

My experience is mostly limited to MHX2 exports for use in Blender and I have never used mixamo. I just tried an export in .obj format and importing it in Blender and the textures were not set up correctly so there may be a problem with .obj exports. I did do an .fbx export to Unity yesterday and that worked, and I just tried importing the .fbx file into Blender and that worked with the textures. Have you tried the .fbx format since installing the asset downloader?

My guess is that if the model shows up correctly in MakeHuman including the textures, then the asset downloader probably isn't the problem. Do you have Blender? (If not it's free) I would try importing your exported files in Blender to see if the textures work. If they don't work in Blender either then there is a problem with the export, but if they work in Blender then I would suspect some sort of compatibility issue with mixamo.

successful wrote:(3) I fixed the "makeHuman not opening, after "assets dowloader" re-insatllation" problem by going to "document/makehuman/v1/data/community assets"; I then deleted the "community assets" folder, probably installed from the previous installation that I had done earlier. This was apparently blocking my attempt to open MakeHuman. Once I deleted the "community assets" folder, and restarted MakeHuman with "assets downloader" re-installed, MakeHuman opened as normal, then I had to synchronize (again), the "assets downloader"

(4) Nevertheless, my models/characters that I export with obj/fbx files are not exporting with color on their skin/hair or clothes. I'll sincerely appreciate your advice on the issue. Thanks

Another option would be to create a second MakeHuman installation and not install the downloader plugin to see if there really is a difference in the exports. Since the second MakeHuman installation will still use the same <documents>/makehuman/ directory your downloaded assets will still be available. But I think it is unlikely that the downloader plugin is changing the exports.

A last option would be to zip up your exported files and post them here so we can check them out.

The first thing I would try though is exporting in .fbx format. To eliminate problems with assets I would try exporting a model with a skin texture but without any extra geometry items (clothes, hair, etc.). If that works but exporting with clothes or whatever doesn't then we can narrow the problem down to the clothing asset.
blindsaypatten

Postby successful » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:52 am

blindsaypatten wrote:
successful wrote:(1)Thanks sooooo much for your reply. I tried using chrome and firefox, but it still won't give me a "save as" option.

In Chrome I can right-click on the texture thumbnail and then click "Save link as..." or I can left click on the thumbnail to view the texture image and then right-click and "Save image as...". But if you have the asset downloader working that is an easier option.

successful wrote:(2) "asset downloader to upload models to mixamo..." means, I downloaded hair and some clothes on my model, through the "community" tab I installed into MakeHuman, exported them to obj files, and tried to upload them to the "adobe mixamo auto rigger". Before I installed the assets downloader, I could upload my models, in obj files to "adobe mixamo" and it would still have skin color, and color on her clothes. But after I installed the assets downloader and all the problems I went through trying to get it to work (it works now!), when I upload models/characters to "adobe mixamo", my models and their clothes all have one greyish white color, though I had placed "material" on them, before saving and exporting.

My experience is mostly limited to MHX2 exports for use in Blender and I have never used mixamo. I just tried an export in .obj format and importing it in Blender and the textures were not set up correctly so there may be a problem with .obj exports. I did do an .fbx export to Unity yesterday and that worked, and I just tried importing the .fbx file into Blender and that worked with the textures. Have you tried the .fbx format since installing the asset downloader?

My guess is that if the model shows up correctly in MakeHuman including the textures, then the asset downloader probably isn't the problem. Do you have Blender? (If not it's free) I would try importing your exported files in Blender to see if the textures work. If they don't work in Blender either then there is a problem with the export, but if they work in Blender then I would suspect some sort of compatibility issue with mixamo.

successful wrote:(3) I fixed the "makeHuman not opening, after "assets dowloader" re-insatllation" problem by going to "document/makehuman/v1/data/community assets"; I then deleted the "community assets" folder, probably installed from the previous installation that I had done earlier. This was apparently blocking my attempt to open MakeHuman. Once I deleted the "community assets" folder, and restarted MakeHuman with "assets downloader" re-installed, MakeHuman opened as normal, then I had to synchronize (again), the "assets downloader"

Another option would be to create a second MakeHuman installation and not install the downloader plugin to see if there really is a difference in the exports. Since the second MakeHuman installation will still use the same <documents>/makehuman/ directory your downloaded assets will still be available. But I think it is unlikely that the downloader plugin is changing the exports.

A last option would be to zip up your exported files and post them here so we can check them out.

The first thing I would try though is exporting in .fbx format. To eliminate problems with assets I would try exporting a model with a skin texture but without any extra geometry items (clothes, hair, etc.). If that works but exporting with clothes or whatever doesn't then we can narrow the problem down to the clothing asset.

Thank you soooo much. Will get right to it, and take all your advise on board. Will try posting my files during the week. You are wonderful. Thanks :)
successful

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader