Question on MakeClothes Quads OR Tris??

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Question on MakeClothes Quads OR Tris??

Postby badwolf » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:12 pm

part of whats driving me nuts on making clothes is building the item using QUADS did i see somewhere that Tris can be used if the whole thing is Tris??

(getting proper lines would be so much simpler if i could just convert the whole thing to tris after i do my cutting)
badwolf

Re: Question on MakeClothes Quads OR Tris??

Postby RobBaer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:42 pm

badwolf wrote:part of whats driving me nuts on making clothes is building the item using QUADS did i see somewhere that Tris can be used if the whole thing is Tris??

(getting proper lines would be so much simpler if i could just convert the whole thing to tris after i do my cutting)

I know you saw it because I saw it too. However, I've not tried it and can't confirm it. The obvious thing to do is make a very very simple piece of clothing with tris and see if it works. :D . I think the downside to tris clothing is that it is unlikely to animate as well.
RobBaer

Postby badwolf » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:34 pm

RobBaer wrote:I know you saw it because I saw it too. However, I've not tried it and can't confirm it. The obvious thing to do is make a very very simple piece of clothing with tris and see if it works. :D . I think the downside to tris clothing is that it is unlikely to animate as well.

given what im going for i present a simple leotard (suitable for dancers of all ages)

i did have to adjust the max poles setting but...

now this brings a question what would be the harm in jumping the maxpoles setting to say 64??
Attachments
leotesttri.zip
(62.8 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
badwolf

Postby brkurt » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:44 am

badwolf wrote:part of whats driving me nuts on making clothes is building the item using QUADS did i see somewhere that Tris can be used if the whole thing is Tris??

If the whole clothing is tris, you will have unpredictable animations, as edge looping in a program like Blender is designed for quads.

Edge loops yield predictable animations, because they are variations on an ellipse.

What is your workflow? Still image or animation?
brkurt

Postby badwolf » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:13 pm

brkurt wrote:
If the whole clothing is tris, you will have unpredictable animations, as edge looping in a program like Blender is designed for quads.

Edge loops yield predictable animations, because they are variations on an ellipse.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and or Fallout 4 (if i can get a body mesh to match up)

for what im doing (ballet type stuff) im starting with quads and then converting to tris

(im wanting to do a full set of ballet type costumes and then do adult/child versions)
badwolf

Postby brkurt » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:07 pm

badwolf wrote:
brkurt wrote:

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and or Fallout 4 (if i can get a body mesh to match up)

for what im doing (ballet type stuff) im starting with quads and then converting to tris

(im wanting to do a full set of ballet type costumes and then do adult/child versions)

I'm told that many game development environments convert quads to tris automatically, so you can start with quads.

As for ballet, you can use martial arts moves for lots of your early animations. A pirouette is essentially a full roundhouse (minus contact). ;)
brkurt

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader