Additional Upload "Blender File" for Assets?

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Additional Upload "Blender File" for Assets?

Postby kwnet_at » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:27 am

I'm a "Cycles" Blender User and my projects are constructed with this render engine.
Makehuman is a very important tool for creating scenes, and after a while I decided a view days before to share my creations as makehuman assets.
I hope my assets are useful for you too.

But it's not possible to share the whole item, because of cycles materials...
I have no possibility to share the item in full quality. The idea to take a screenshot of the material and post it as preview is not really senseful because of the complexity and ammount of the different materials.

Furthermore I think, it's a good idea to share a blender file for other users as advantage for us all:
I thing that sharing the (cycles) materials will increase the advantage of using makehuman items.
When the full blender file (including the body) is shared, beginners have good examples and "professionals" maybe a good base for their own creations, so the ammount of created assets maybe will increase.

So I think it will be a good Idea to add a additional optional upload field "Blender File" to give the possibility to share materials or the whole item with the community.
Maybe, there's somebody who agrees, or somebody who agrees and can implement it to the gallery.

Only an idea...
kwnet_at

Re: Additional Upload "Blender File" for Assets?

Postby loki1950 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:01 pm

This is consequence of MakeClothes only supporting blender render ATM adding cycles and down the road EEVEE support will not be trivial BTW mhx2 does a fair job of translating blender render to cycles on import.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby blindsaypatten » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:59 pm

On the User contributed assets page the final category is Custom Content and you can upload zip and blend files there. It's a relatively recent addition and I think what you want to do is what the category is intended for.
blindsaypatten

Postby joepal » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:22 am

kwnet_at wrote:So I think it will be a good Idea to add a additional optional upload field "Blender File" to give the possibility to share materials or the whole item with the community.

As Blindsaypatten says: There is a specific area for sharing resources such as the ones you mention: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/custom.html

As the purpose of the other areas is to share *makehuman* assets, and since makehuman is intended to be platform-neutral, I'm not going to add fields for specific 3d engines / modelers to the other areas.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby kwnet_at » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:45 am

blindsaypatten wrote:On the User contributed assets page the final category is Custom Content and you can upload zip and blend files there. It's a relatively recent addition and I think what you want to do is what the category is intended for.

Sorry, for any reason I've overseen this. - My fault.
kwnet_at

Postby blindsaypatten » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:35 pm

kwnet_at wrote:
blindsaypatten wrote:On the User contributed assets page the final category is Custom Content and you can upload zip and blend files there. It's a relatively recent addition and I think what you want to do is what the category is intended for.

Sorry, for any reason I've overseen this. - My fault.

No apology needed and I wholeheartedly agree with your original post, being able to share things that don't fit the MakeHuman constraints is a very good thing.
blindsaypatten

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader