cloth textures etc for clothing

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

cloth textures etc for clothing

Postby Taholmes160 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:56 am

Hi all Im busy making clothes for my toons, some are turning out very well, but I am having a terrible time getting the cloth to look right. its all flat and all one color. The clothes that came bundled with akehuman, seem to have great fabric looks to them, some of which I suspect are photographs modified to fit (no idea how).

can someone point me in the right directions?

thanks
TIM
Taholmes160

Re: cloth textures etc for clothing

Postby MTKnife » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:49 am

A good start would be to find files with pictures of cloth (you can find quite a lot of them for free with some web searching). What you're looking for in particular is cloth that can be tiled in a repeating pattern--that means a square or rectangle whose sides are identical to their opposites, so that you can join one side with the other. With real cloth, you might need to stretch or compress one side or the other to get them to line up perfectly--use something like GIMP for that. Another alternative is to create a procedural texture, and then add various touches to make it look like real cloth--there are tutorials on this on the web. You can even find pre-made tileable textures.

Once you've got a texture you can tile, you just repeat it--to do that, you use a "Repeat" node in Cycles, or "Repeat" under "Image Mapping" in the Texture tab in Blender Internal.
MTKnife

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader