Hard Hat

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Hard Hat

Postby setsunakaede » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi all, first post and sorry to have it a stupid request right away, but here goes.
I am looking for a hard-hat clothing model to complement the working clothes that are present in Makehuman by default.

I already browsed through the entire clothing library but the closest I could find was the MAGA hat.
Then I tried to follow some video-tutorials for Blender and then MakeHuman and then edit the hat in Blender but newbie as I am I don't understand Blender well enough to get a satisfactory result - that is, in Blender it looks okay-ish (rough, but the general shape is there, which is fine with me since I am going to 3D-print it in small scale) but in MakeHuman .... terrible.

Sooo..., if there is anyone willing to share its attempt at a hard-hat, I'd be enormously grateful. As said, for my purposes it doesn't need to be overly detailed or anything although I can imagine someone else could profit from a detailed model.

Thanks a lot in advance!
setsunakaede

Re: Hard Hat

Postby punkduck » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:59 pm

setsunakaede wrote:I already browsed through the entire clothing library but the closest I could find was the MAGA hat.
Then I tried to follow some video-tutorials for Blender and then MakeHuman and then edit the hat in Blender but newbie as I am I don't understand Blender well enough to get a satisfactory result - that is, in Blender it looks okay-ish (rough, but the general shape is there, which is fine with me since I am going to 3D-print it in small scale) but in MakeHuman .... terrible.

The idea sounds good, but I only work with female characters. Maybe I should give a technical job to the characters in the era of gender equality :geek:

Just for a help in between, you can (re-)import .obj files of Makehuman in Blender and change them, then save them as your modified version.

For the terrible appearance in MakeHuman there is only one reason: when you create a hat and use the normal vertex groups (left, right, mid), then the hat will follow everything which belongs to the head, e.g. ears etc.

You should read the short section about vertex groups in this tutorial:

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=14024

It is easy:

Throw away left, mid, right vertex-groups from your hard-hat, then create a group *hardhat, assign all vertices to it. Then create the same group on the human and assign exactly 3 vertices of the human-mesh to this *hardhat group.
The Background: this triangle is used for dimension, the '*' instructs makeclothes to do a direct transformation. At least you should try it.

Question: Did you allready print 3d characters? I'm interrested in the result. We have a lot of 2d-topology especially for clothes and I've no idea how these assets could be printed. And also my clothes are no exception to that ...
punkduck

Postby setsunakaede » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:03 pm

Hi Punkduck,

Importing the hat and modifying that is exactly what I tried, using the MAGA hat as my original. I thought I only scaled and moved some vertices but apparently I touched more than I bargained for. Blender is not the most intuitive engine there is, IMHO, either.

I did already print out a female in bikini in a relaxed pose (Sit01) as both a printing test and deck-babe for one of my model boats; she came out quite nicely in scale 1:10, but even in 1.50-1:60 scale she was recognizable and I managed to break away the support structures on all the examples without breaking off any body parts so I call that a success. Now only for some paint, as my 3D-printer doesn't do that, and I need some more poses. That appears to be quite a mission, too...
setsunakaede

Postby brkurt » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:13 pm

setsunakaede wrote:Hi all, first post and sorry to have it a stupid request right away, but here goes.
I am looking for a hard-hat clothing model to complement the working clothes that are present in Makehuman by default.

I already browsed through the entire clothing library but the closest I could find was the MAGA hat.

Sooo..., if there is anyone willing to share its attempt at a hard-hat, I'd be enormously grateful. As said, for my purposes it doesn't need to be overly detailed or anything although I can imagine someone else could profit from a detailed model.

Thanks a lot in advance!

I built one of these by a retopology of a 3ds model, and uploaded it years ago to this forum. You'll need to check around for it.
brkurt

Postby grinsegold » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:53 pm

If you eventually intend to print your model, you wouldn't need to make it usable in MH, or am i mistaken? There is an addon for 3D print from directly inside blender. It even tells you the price. If you could live with the fact that you will have to append your hat model for every reuse instead of exporting it with a model from MH, then all's fine, isn't it?
grinsegold

Postby punkduck » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:10 pm

It was this one, allready modelled on base mesh "average male".

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/download/file.php?id=1813

from

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10515

It is a good version of a helmet often used in the U.S. (not sure these plastic things look a bit different here, but not much). I googled for one and nearly decided to take the same, but the geometry is okay, I guess I can't do it better.

What you have to do:

The helmet uses the vertex group centerFrame, change this to *hardhat. Assign all vertices to it. Select 3 vertices on the human to define the dimension of the helmet (top view, maybe one near left ear, right ear and one in front). Create the vertex group *hardhat on the human and press the makeclothes button. Maybe you should enlarge the helmet a bit to allow hair ... It works and looks like this:

hardhattest.png
hardhattest.png (57.12 KiB) Viewed 7614 times

Of course you don't need makehuman to print it. Sorry I cannot upload the helmet as .mhclo, .obj etc. files unless the author of the assets permits it.
punkduck

Postby brkurt » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:37 am

punkduck wrote:It was this one, allready modelled on base mesh "average male".

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/download/file.php?id=1813

from

http://www.makehumancommunity.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10515

It is a good version of a helmet often used in the U.S. (not sure these plastic things look a bit different here, but not much). I googled for one and nearly decided to take the same, but the geometry is okay, I guess I can't do it better.

What you have to do:

The helmet uses the vertex group centerFrame, change this to *hardhat. Assign all vertices to it. Select 3 vertices on the human to define the dimension of the helmet (top view, maybe one near left ear, right ear and one in front). Create the vertex group *hardhat on the human and press the makeclothes button. Maybe you should enlarge the helmet a bit to allow hair ... It works and looks like this:

hardhattest.png

Of course you don't need makehuman to print it. Sorry I cannot upload the helmet as .mhclo, .obj etc. files unless the author of the assets permits it.

Yup, that's my model. I can tell from the naming system: model | version | blender version. Also, because I was watching 'Lexx' on YouTube at the time, and that's where the prefix 'proto' comes from (Kai's proto-blood) :D
brkurt

Postby setsunakaede » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi, and thanks for the link. I downloaded it and will try and figure out shortly how to import the model as clothes in MH.
Will let you know the progress.

[EDIT] Hey, success! I had to make the MakeHuman plugin re-create the vertex groups and after that it was just a matter of pressing "Make Clothes". I am a happy camper now!
The safety vest didn't work the same way though, but that is of less importance to me. I can now start printing my own tugboat crews! :D

Thanks a lot!
setsunakaede

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader