Making a ninja, can someone help out please?!

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Making a ninja, can someone help out please?!

Postby Scynine » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:09 pm

Hello everyone!
I'm very new to MakeHuman (only just downloaded today). I'm working on a little summer game project but i'm a designer not an animator meaning i don't really model 3D objects much and I never even bothered trying to model a full character etc etc which is why i think MakeHuman is perfect for people like me! I searched through all assets and found some pretty cool one that i could put together to make a female ninja character.
If someone would be kind enough to help me out and make this outfit I would greatly appreciate it and I'd definitely give you and anyone who helped out credit within the game! It's only a basic ninja outfit.
https://cdn1.epicgames.com/ue/item/Store_Kunoichi_Screenshot_02-min-1920x1080-67667525cdace537bcf81f9854051051.png
It doesnt have to be exactly like that just to resemble it enough also would prefer black colouristics. And I definitely don't need the bow on back just a basic belt, thank you!
Scynine

Re: Making a ninja, can someone help out please?!

Postby grinsegold » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:08 am

You're not asking for a piece of cake, you know? Rather for the bakery's daily production. I wonder if anyone loves you that much...
grinsegold

Postby blindsaypatten » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:30 pm

grinsegold wrote:You're not asking for a piece of cake, you know? Rather for the bakery's daily production. I wonder if anyone loves you that much...

I've never even attempted anything like this so I'm curious how long it would take one of the skilled designers here to produce something along these lines. Based just on vague recollections of following some of the stuff punkduck has made, I would guess that it is more than a day's worth of work?

To my inexperienced eye, and based on what I see in the repository, I would think that the loose parts of the clothing would be the most challenging, especially to make flexible enough for game play. I would be curious to hear from the experienced designers here what the most challenging aspects would be and perhaps how many hours/days they estimate they would need to produce something like this?

Btw, do you (the original poster) have a limit or target for the number of polygons? A previous game designer who posted here wanted very low polygon counts. I think that design for low poly counts and for real time graphics is different than design for esthetics and static poses.

Strangely, of the clothing assets I have seen, the male elegant suit seemed to me to be the closest, if one were going to try to adapt an existing item.

Are you sure you wouldn't rather have a Wonder Woman character instead of a Ninja? :P
blindsaypatten

Postby Scynine » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:04 pm

grinsegold wrote:You're not asking for a piece of cake, you know? Rather for the bakery's daily production. I wonder if anyone loves you that much...

I know i'm not asking for a piece of cake here, just asking if there's any experienced users who are willing to help out, not asking to be loved:)
I'm not saying i want this character to look exactly the same etc etc just a basic hooded up ninja character that would resemble the one shown on picture.

I don't have a pollycount, I wouldn't mind if the character was perfectly detailed very high polly mega looking mofo as my PC can handle in real life rendering. Like i said whether it's a beautiful perfect character model or one that just resembles a ninja I don't mind as long as it's a female looking ninja. I just want to be able to run around the map with the character, test out missions, different combat system so i can show it all off to Youtube / classmates etc etc. I have a seperate credits sections for people who have helped out in anyway.

I've managed to make a start on a piece of clothing myself it's nothing professional as I only just started earlier on today, opinions?
I'm still at the stage where I haven't figured out how to UV/ Texture the object created, how to create all the other files like .npz .mhpx .mhmat .mhclo so i can use it in MakeHuman.
Attachments
ninjashortssc.png
Scynine

Postby loki1950 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Do not worry about the .npz files at all as the are zipped versions that MH creates the first time an asset is loaded and only used within Makehuman.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby blindsaypatten » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:19 pm

I'm still at the stage where I haven't figured out how to UV/ Texture the object created, how to create all the other files like .npz .mhpx .mhmat .mhclo so i can use it in MakeHuman.

For the UV unwrap, mark your seams by selecting the edges and then in the header Mesh/Edges/Mark Seam. Then split the screen and create a new UV/Image Editor, then with your object open in Edit mode, select all vertices, hit the U key, and click on Unwrap. The UV map will automatically appear in the UV/Editor window.
I sometimes got frustrated because the UV map won't appear in the UV/Image Editor if the editor has been used for a render, it has to be a new image, plus be sure to select all the vertices.

All those files will be created by the MakeClothes addon in Blender. The important thing for now is to ensure that you only use quadrangles in your model, MakeClothes won't accept faces with anything other than four edges.

Your pants already look great. People here are very helpful with answering questions that come up, the first couple reactions were just because it sounded like maybe you wanted someone to just create the whole thing for you.
blindsaypatten

Postby Mindfront » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi!

This is kind of a nice challenge to make a female ninja outfit. Although you are making your own, I will try to do one also as I can see lots of usabilities in having a female ninja outfit. If I succed to create it satisfactory enough I upload it to User contributed assets. It may take a couple of weeks or longer if nothing comes between and how much spare time I have.

When I making clothes it mostly takes up to a week, at least 8 hours/day, depending on how much time I must struggle with deformations and vertexgroup assignments, texturing details and so on, and how stubborn I am in that moment. Sometime one has to give up and accept that not all of the clothes deform nicely as long it is fixable manually when used in a still image scene. That is when making all from scratch, from idea to packeting for publishing.
Simpler clothes are at least 8 hour including all testing. :ugeek:

I don't promise anything only that I will start the project making a female ninja outfit.
Its a problem to be perfectionist as one often never get something finished. :(
Mindfront

Postby Scynine » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:07 pm

Hey guys thanks for the interest in this topic!
loki1950 wrote:Do not worry about the .npz files at all as the are zipped versions that MH creates the first time an asset is loaded and only used within Makehuman.

Enjoy the Choice :)

I managed to fix all of my issues in Blender. I didn't realized that I had to install all of the MH add-ons for Blender which I ended up doing. So i can make clothes properly now! But thanks a lot!

blindsaypatten wrote:

For the UV unwrap, mark your seams by selecting the edges and then in the header Mesh/Edges/Mark Seam. Then split the screen and create a new UV/Image Editor, then with your object open in Edit mode, select all vertices, hit the U key, and click on Unwrap. The UV map will automatically appear in the UV/Editor window.
I sometimes got frustrated because the UV map won't appear in the UV/Image Editor if the editor has been used for a render, it has to be a new image, plus be sure to select all the vertices.

All those files will be created by the MakeClothes addon in Blender. The important thing for now is to ensure that you only use quadrangles in your model, MakeClothes won't accept faces with anything other than four edges.

Your pants already look great. People here are very helpful with answering questions that come up, the first couple reactions were just because it sounded like maybe you wanted someone to just create the whole thing for you.

It's all good now I managed to learn about UV mapping the past few hours and made a good start on the character clothing! Appreciate the help though!

Mindfront wrote:Hi!

This is kind of a nice challenge to make a female ninja outfit. Although you are making your own, I will try to do one also as I can see lots of usabilities in having a female ninja outfit. If I succed to create it satisfactory enough I upload it to User contributed assets. It may take a couple of weeks or longer if nothing comes between and how much spare time I have.

When I making clothes it mostly takes up to a week, at least 8 hours/day, depending on how much time I must struggle with deformations and vertexgroup assignments, texturing details and so on, and how stubborn I am in that moment. Sometime one has to give up and accept that not all of the clothes deform nicely as long it is fixable manually when used in a still image scene. That is when making all from scratch, from idea to packeting for publishing.
Simpler clothes are at least 8 hour including all testing. :ugeek:

I don't promise anything only that I will start the project making a female ninja outfit.
Its a problem to be perfectionist as one often never get something finished. :(

That'd be amazing and really appreciated! I'm making my own set of clothes right now got a few things but it'd be great if we both could contribute to this community with different sets of items! Like i said i only started using this software yesterday and spent most time trying to figure out what im meant /supposed to do etc etc!

But hey! This is my current outfit!
Attachments
Character_clothes.png
Scynine

Postby Mindfront » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:01 pm

I just had to log in before bedtime. Your ninja outfit looks fantastic as far I can see :o

Scynine wrote:I'm making my own set of clothes right now got a few things but it'd be great if we both could contribute to this community with different sets of items!

Yes, lets make some MakeHuman female ninjas :D
Mindfront

Postby Scynine » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:05 pm

Mindfront wrote:I just had to log in before bedtime. Your ninja outfit looks fantastic as far I can see :o

Scynine wrote:I'm making my own set of clothes right now got a few things but it'd be great if we both could contribute to this community with different sets of items!

Yes, lets make some MakeHuman female ninjas :D

Thank you! :D :D wish I knew about this software a long time ago, i'd definitely be better now, i think it's looking pretty good to say I didn't have a clue how to use Blender or MakeHuman yesterday morning :lol: I bet yours is going to be amazing and so much better than mine haha :D
Scynine

Next

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader