Packaged Skins do not seem to be working

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Packaged Skins do not seem to be working

Postby Taholmes160 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi All:

New user here, so this might be a redundant / dumb question, but here goes

I installed the makehuman version 1.1.1 r2128 package off the website, and have been fiddling with it, learning a lot. I was messing with skins this morning and seem to have hit a snag. The only skins working (so it appears) are the default, and the toon skins, all the rest, including the special suit ones do not seem to be working, no matter what I select, african, asian or caucasian, all I get is the model with chalk white skin. What am I missing or doing wrong, or can you at least point me to some guidance?

Thanks
TIM
Taholmes160

Re: Packaged Skins do not seem to be working

Postby blindsaypatten » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Taholmes160 wrote:Hi All:

New user here, so this might be a redundant / dumb question, but here goes

I installed the makehuman version 1.1.1 r2128 package off the website, and have been fiddling with it, learning a lot. I was messing with skins this morning and seem to have hit a snag. The only skins working (so it appears) are the default, and the toon skins, all the rest, including the special suit ones do not seem to be working, no matter what I select, african, asian or caucasian, all I get is the model with chalk white skin. What am I missing or doing wrong, or can you at least point me to some guidance?

Thanks
TIM

Are the chalk white skins appearing in MakeHuman or in Blender? I ask because it's not uncommon to get white models in Blender under certain circumstances, but this would be the first I've heard of plaster-white skins in MH.

If it is in Blender, a common cause is importing while render is set to one renderer and then changing to another renderer. They will appear as solid grey in Blender until you either set display to material or render.

Is r2128 the Vanilla MakeHuman Download from the Downloads page? If not, the first thing to try would be to do a vanilla install. What OS are you using?
blindsaypatten

Postby Taholmes160 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi

The install is from the downloads area of makehoman

The skins come out white/pale in both blender and MH. Although my question is specific to MH. I get the exact same skin no matter what option I choose. African and caucasiac are the same for example

Im using windows 7

Tim
Taholmes160

Postby joepal » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:27 pm

First, check if this might apply: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... help_me%3F

If not, can you paste a screenshot of how it looks?
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby blindsaypatten » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Just out of curiousity, if you put clothes on the character do they also come out white? If not then it likely isn't a hardware/opengl issue. I'm not sure but I think if you set to CPU renders in Blender you could also rule out a hardware/opengl issue. The next question of course is whether non-MakeHuman stuff renders okay in Blender.
blindsaypatten

Postby Taholmes160 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:28 pm

No, the clothes seem to render ok, although the resolution of the render is not what I would I like it to be

As far as non blender stuff ive only rendered the cube so I really dont know. My rendering setup is non existent at this point. I just import anf render

If you know a good recipe for good renders that would help too
Thanks

Tim
Taholmes160

Postby RobBaer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:26 pm

Taholmes160 wrote: I just import anf render

If you know a good recipe for good renders that would help too
Thanks

Tim

It seems strange that the default skin behaves differently that the textured skins. Do both types of skin look as expected from within MakeHuman itself? Is it only in Blender that they appear pure white?

So I take this to be that things appear pure white in a Blender rendered image and not in Makehuman itself?

Are you exporting as .mhx2 or something else like .dae or .fbx (or even .obj)?

If we are talking .mhx2, is your renderer set to Blender Internal or Cycles when you import? And, what is your Blender renderer set to when you do the render?
RobBaer

Postby Taholmes160 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:02 pm

joepal wrote:First, check if this might apply: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... help_me%3F

If not, can you paste a screenshot of how it looks?

That seems to have solved it

Thanks
Taholmes160

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader