Cyborg-Android Endoskeleton

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Cyborg-Android Endoskeleton

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:34 pm

Has anyone every modeled a cyborg or android endoskeleton similar to one of the Terminator Endoskeletons?
Antiqua_Sphinge

Re: Cyborg-Android Endoskeleton

Postby Freehunter » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:53 pm

Not sure if you saw it, the closest thing I'm aware of is the Skeleton by jwc http://www.makehumancommunity.org/clothes/skeleton.html
It might give you some ideas or a starting point.
Freehunter

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:48 pm

Interesting. If I could get the time to get to the level needed to modify that, it would be a great starting point. My graphics design experience is a total of one week at this point, and my normal field of operations is a bit different. I do thank you for the pointer.

Freehunter wrote:Not sure if you saw it, the closest thing I'm aware of is the Skeleton by jwc http://www.makehumancommunity.org/clothes/skeleton.html
It might give you some ideas or a starting point.
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby jwc » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:13 am

I looked for an example of the Terminator endoskeleton, and had the following (verbose) thoughts.

It will be difficult to use make-clothes for this type of object for a couple of reasons.
Clothes are Quads only:
With the human skeleton I had to search to find a set of bones based on quads, and even the one I found required additional editing. I found one free example of a terminator, but it was all triangles (and lots of them). The only way to use make-clothes would be to remesh this example, not easy with all of the different parts.

Different sizing:
With a human skeleton, our bones follow the joint positions, so eventually you can find some points that let the bones resize and move "approximately" the way they do in real life. A close observation of my skeleton will show issues both in resizing and motion. It works, but don't look too close.
With the terminator, the "moving piston" and the "solid frame" pieces are not aligned with a body's joints. Resizing a body will distort both items in ways that you probably would not like, and during motion the two types of items will rotate around the joints, not necessarily resembling a piston extension/contraction.

That said, let me take a step back and ask a different question.

Do you need to use make-human? Are you looking to make varieties of obese, short, ethnic terminators? Make-human supports the creation of a wide variety of human models, and with make-clothes, poses, and mhx2 export enables motion based simulations and rendering.
But the terminator is closer to an automotive engine than a human. It has solid parts and pistons that move. If I were modeling an engine, I would do it using blender type software, not make-human.

If you have bvh or motion capture files, create a skeleton (used in the rigging/motion sense, not bone sense) between the mechanical joints in the terminator, and constrain the pistons to extend/contract with the joint motion. This would scale/move in a more "realistic" fashion and the solid pieces attached correctly will remain undistorted.

Alternately, if you are trying for a partially "skinned" terminator, make the visible portion of the endoskeleton as described, and then place it inside (and parented to) a makehuman model. You can then use transparency to display the visible skeleton areas.

Good luck.
jwc

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:03 am

I was wondering if it were possible to do an endoskeleton, even though it's not likely I'll ever have the skill level much less the talent to do such.

But just for grins, since I don't get that much interaction with adults outside the house... From an engineering perspective there would be a couple things to consider about sizing an android or cyborg.

From a different perspective the Terminator movies were entertaining, but not great from a practical engineering angle. [The Wife hates watching some movies with me, one because I tell her what's most likely to happen next, and two because I spot flaws.]

The joints and range of motion would have to approximate the human in order for it to not attract undue attention, meaning the bone and joint analogs would have to be very close approximations.

The basic endoskeleton (sans extensors/retractors/pistons/servos) would have to follow similar lines as well. Synthetic skin meant to emulate the human has to has a similar foundation to move properly and look like what it's intended to mimic.

https://www.livescience.com/49711-japan ... hotel.html

Perhaps someone will a concept model at some point.
Antiqua_Sphinge

Postby joepal » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:46 pm

This is jwc's skeleton:

hastalavista.png
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Antiqua_Sphinge » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:19 pm

Nice work.

joepal wrote:This is jwc's skeleton:

hastalavista.png

Perhaps in the future one of my girls will take an interest in graphics. At present I have difficulty convincing the 1-year-old that the scorpions she catches aren't actually food...
Antiqua_Sphinge

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader