Medium Hair from Community

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Medium Hair from Community

Postby jcpalmer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi,
I am trying to use the Medium hair asset. http://www.makehumancommunity.org/clothes/hair_female_medium.html

I need it to be baked and a material using the internal renderer, because I will be exporting for WebGL through a browser. I nearly got it setup, but I cannot find the "Hair Color" node, so I had to use DiffuseBSDF node. Is that why the hair band is invading the tips of the hair?

Here is a .blend of the imported hair, and my attempt to replicate the cycles material.https://github.com/Palmer-JC/Palmer-JC.github.io/blob/master/characters/blends/medium%20hair%20cycles.blend. I am having trouble getting acceptable baking results as well except for normal / bump, but not sure how much of a role the substitute node is playing. Any pointers would be appreciated.
jcpalmer

Re: Medium Hair from Community

Postby Aranuvir » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:58 pm

The missing node is a labeled RGB-node, it's found at input/RGB. You can change labels of nodes by bringing up the "N-tab" (n-key) in the node editor. I just tried cycles texture baking one time, with bad results, so can't help here ...
Aranuvir

Postby jcpalmer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks. I am more of a Python / Javascript programmer myself. I changed to the RGB-Node. No change (did not update the .blend in the repo as of this posting). As a final check before dropping this, I just ripped out the Hair Band, TransparentBSDF-Node. After playing with the color, I get a fairly acceptable redhead. Now the hairband is very dark, and if you look close you will see the hair tips are too. Not too bad if I can get to bake right. Anyone that could improve / fix this asset would still be welcome.
redhead.jpg
With TransparentBSDF ripped out
jcpalmer

Postby Aranuvir » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:37 pm

The hair band does not have any material. Add a material by selecting all vertices of the band, create a new material and hit assign. When I render your blend file, the hair band is transparent. Obviously transparency is not working on your system. What is your computing device? Switch to CPU!
I am more of a Python / Javascript programmer myself.

And we appreciate the programming work you did!
Aranuvir

Postby jcpalmer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:43 pm

Ok, that got me a lot further. The directions do not indicate you need to make 2 materials. Then again, perhaps that should have been obvious to most people. The white is also because I was viewing in the viewport in material mode, not rendered mode.

It took quite a while to get all the vertices for the hair band selected. If Make clothes can handle multiple materials, getting these isolated would be a big improvement. Have to work on baking now. Here is what it looks like with 2 materials in rendered mode.
2 materials.JPG
As 2 materials
jcpalmer

Postby Aranuvir » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Just for the next time: deselect all vertices, select at least one vertex or edge or face of the band and press ctrl + L, or just hover the mouse over the band and press L.

If Make clothes can handle multiple materials, getting these isolated would be a big improvement.

Programming help is always appreciated! :D
Aranuvir

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader