ballet collection anyone??

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Re: ballet collection anyone??

Postby punkduck » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:54 am

Just an update: I just created ballet shoes in black (the healthier version ;) ) and so-called pointe shoes in a skin-colored form for ballet dancers. The UV-map is identical, so you can exchange the material. For a white version simply invert the colors of the black shoes ...

I will try a tutu next. Maybe also in different forms, the english wiki differentiates between 4 forms ...
punkduck

Postby badwolf » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:35 pm

punkduck wrote:Just an update: I just created ballet shoes in black (the healthier version ;) ) and so-called pointe shoes in a skin-colored form for ballet dancers. The UV-map is identical, so you can exchange the material. For a white version simply invert the colors of the black shoes ...

I will try a tutu next. Maybe also in different forms, the english wiki differentiates between 4 forms ...

yes on the different forms of tutus it goes all the way from the platter style (the hardest to get right) to basically a short ballgown (some ladies dance in actual ball gowns (ie Lindsey Stirling)

im thinking a top layer as one part and the tule part as a separate part

how hard would it be to take the shoulders off the current leotard?? (heck at this point having some fun and doing the showgirl ruffle/flair would not be out of place)
badwolf

Postby punkduck » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:24 pm

badwolf wrote:
yes on the different forms of tutus it goes all the way from the platter style (the hardest to get right) to basically a short ballgown (some ladies dance in actual ball gowns (ie Lindsey Stirling)

im thinking a top layer as one part and the tule part as a separate part

Well I'm struggling with the tutu. The leotard deletes faces of the tutu, not only of the character. Look at the picture. I hope I'll find the reason (and a solution) tomorrow. :(

I made a rather simple double layered tutu with a texture with some glittering effects. The texture is made for one fold and repeats 24 times. So a regular lace pattern (until now a simple checkerboard is used) is also possible. In blender the subdivision surface flattens part of the structure, so the folds must be bigger ...

I know that there are hundreds of different dresses (also tutus combined with leotard) out there, even baroque designs. Well, I preferred the modern more common version as a base. I also planned to do a short transparent skirt (not really a ball gown) which is also available for the leotard (it is more for "decoration") ... I will take the lower part of the babydoll and double the layer + some faces round the body (like the tutu ...) that should work I guess.

hidefaces.jpg

badwolf wrote:
how hard would it be to take the shoulders off the current leotard?? (heck at this point having some fun and doing the showgirl ruffle/flair would not be out of place)

You mean like a tubetop? Well that is rather simple, switch to wireframe mode (without smoothing) then you can see the geometry. In the back I added a transparent area. If this should be deleted and changed to a non transparent area there is more work to do, because I added a special seam, where the transparent zone starts ... this should be deleted then.
punkduck

Postby punkduck » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:35 pm

Hooray ... I found the solution: set z depth to 100 for the tutu (or a bigger value than 50 in the mhclo file ....).

RTFM ... as always ... I know. Good night :lol:
punkduck

Postby badwolf » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:24 pm

punkduck wrote:Hooray ... I found the solution: set z depth to 100 for the tutu (or a bigger value than 50 in the mhclo file ....).

RTFM ... as always ... I know. Good night :lol:

im going to do some jigsaw work on your leotard and my "bodysuit" to see if i can get a pair of matching tights going how close is the fit on the pointe shoes??
badwolf

Postby punkduck » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:56 pm

badwolf wrote:
im going to do some jigsaw work on your leotard and my "bodysuit" to see if i can get a pair of matching tights going how close is the fit on the pointe shoes??

Even if it sounds weird, when I do tights for ballet I would simply double the skin of these areas and for the texture I pin the UV-Map to the given coordinates. Then I add a texture layer like white checker board + additional alpha layer of 25% visibility e.g. in GIMP to the skin texture (when I wanted that to be white, otherwise use whatever color you prefer).

Typically the skin is not very visible, so you only have to do it on one skin of MH (or maybe two, for light and dark colored people).

Creating an additional transparent layer is a problem near the joints of the character, because the skin will be visible here and there, when you pose the character. And with transparence you can't use delete groups otherwise the skin will completely disappear.

So make a non-transparent version exact on the mannekin. Use deletegroup then, so that the original faces disappear. Check the results in MH (xray-mode). Set z-depth to e.g. 10 in makeclothes, otherwise you delete the leotard (or the shoes). After that it is no problem to put on pointe shoes ... ;)

I just finished a version of a tutu. It is not very detailed and looks rather smooth. But in a way it fits to the other clothes I made for ballet. At least the color setup in Blender should be changed, so that it does not look like a plastic dress. I attached a setup, where you also may change the black color of the tutu. This setup may also work for the leotard.

tutu_setup.png
punkduck

Postby punkduck » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:43 am

Due to a request of badwolf I added both poses as a bvh file. I fixed them, so that these poses also work with the tutu ... well a least for my characters.
Typical you may have to do minor fixes for e.g. the "ballet passe1" pose, because the legs might intersect ....

I used one of my girls for the thumbs and I use a color scheme, blue is for sports. If you are not happy with them, simply replace them with your own. :mrgreen:
punkduck

Postby badwolf » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:59 pm

punkduck wrote:Due to a request of badwolf I added both poses as a bvh file. I fixed them, so that these poses also work with the tutu ... well a least for my characters.
Typical you may have to do minor fixes for e.g. the "ballet passe1" pose, because the legs might intersect ....

I used one of my girls for the thumbs and I use a color scheme, blue is for sports. If you are not happy with them, simply replace them with your own. :mrgreen:

i went ahead and did a couple things

1 a close fitting "mask" that can be edited to be a makeup layer for the face

2 a full bodysuit (basically the tights layer ripped out and then remapped to a more or less sane front/back mapping)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/539 ... cklake.zip

my tator has intel Graphix so i can't do very much on the texture work (lack talent also)

please be advised the items most likely will not catch fire but they will need house training
badwolf

Postby punkduck » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi Badwolf ...

For both points I must say, that I was going another way.

1) I only created ballet-tights. The Reason: on the original pictures of the leotard only white tights are used. I guess the transparent area in the back + a white full body suit do not make sense ...

The tights are a "second skin", in the true sense of the word. I duplicated the skin of the base mesh, then I cut off the toes and took the front of the ballet shoes (slightly decreased), after reconnecting the vertices, the tights were ready (I've only done one side, the other side is simply mirrored, you can see it, when you look at the texture. So these tights should not peek neither through the shoes, nor through the leotard (or nearly not). The human itself is nearly completely deleted in the lower body region (for explanation: read about the delete vertex group in the tutorial, you have to assign the faces on the human, which should be deleted when you create the clothes). For the texture I used an original skin, add a white layer + a checkerboard texture ... that's all. To get the effects in cycles render, you can use e.g. this setup for the tights:

ballet-tights-setup.png

2) Make up: if you add a second geometry for a makeup you will surely have problems. A geometry only should be used for a real mask, like these carnival masks for example.

For makeup we have 3 possibilities:

1. the one of Mindfront is described in the tutorials. It is a generic one, which is, indeed, quite complicated ... You have different parameters for eye-liner, lips, cheeks ... you need to define masks, where you want the color etc.
  2. you may simply create a new skin ... okay for some eye-liner maybe a bit too much ;)
  3. you create an extra layer in a graphic tool like GIMP or Photoshop

At least for b) and c) you always must paint something. My proposal is to use c). Simply open a skin texture in GIMP or PS and add another transparent layer. This layer is the layer, you have to paint the makeup. Because of the transparency you can see where you have to paint. Use something like an airbrush tool (I only know GIMP but PS will also supply all needed tools to do it). After all, switch off the original layer and save the makeup layer as a png-picture ...

For the skin in Blender simply change the setup using two textures like in the picture below. I used this method for the tattoos in the suicide girl images and I darkened the eyes also ... Btw.: the displacement part is not important for effect, I use it, to make her look more natural ....

makeup_layer.png
punkduck

Postby Aranuvir » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:52 pm

I like the 'c' -approach very much and would propose to use it, too! Just some hints: Users, who are not so skilled in painting, like me, could select the faces where the texture should be located and export this as a 'partial uv layout' via the uv-editor. The advantage: the area, where to paint the texture, can easily be selected with gimps magic tool. And I'd use the resulting texture to either feed a MixColor node, so you can put any color of your choice on the model, or feed a Mix node, which allows you to use a different material on the lips, e.g. more gloss.
And another small hint: the rgb to bw node for the displacement should be expendable, since, IIRC, all colors piped through a math node turn bw, anyway.

BTW, Happy New Year, to everyone!
Aranuvir

PreviousNext

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader