Image baking definition (resolution)

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Image baking definition (resolution)

Postby Marco_105 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:45 pm

Hello Community,

I try to make some (don't know the name in french it's 'resille') fishnet ?
So, my workflow is bring the texture on the clothes and fit it in a UV map.

After that I have to merge some texture and that need a process with baking and another one with Photoshop or some soft like that.

I know that lot of your is in this way from Blender to MH, but I saw a big problems with the final resolution of the image.

In fact it depend of the baking process, and further on the UV map use in that wayt, because the size of each quad is defining the current resolution.

So what your workflow on that process (which Unwrap method did you use) ?

Before bake

After bake
Marco_105

Re: Image baking definition (resolution)

Postby RobBaer » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:03 pm

Marco_105 wrote:Hello Community,

I know that lot of your is in this way from Blender to MH, but I saw a big problems with the final resolution of the image.

In fact it depend of the baking process, and further on the UV map use in that way, because the size of each quad is defining the current resolution.

Without completely understanding what you did, I think you should not be thinking about the "size of each quad" but rather, you should be thinking about the size of the texture map you are baking. Many of the built-in clothes in MakeHuman use 2048 x 2048 texture maps which produces .png images of just over 1.3 Mb You could increase this to 4096 x 4096 but doubling the horizontal and vertical dimensions will approximately quadruple the image size.

I would suggest experimenting with baking to various image sizes and pick the smallest one where the deterioration in quality is acceptable to you. Also, I hope you are baking to .png and not a lossy format like .jpg.
RobBaer

Re: Image baking definition (resolution)

Postby Marco_105 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:35 am

Ok, thanks for reply.

I was a little bit confusing in my process, now i resolve it.
I soon upload part of my assets, don't know yet what name that will but some tag of mine could make it easy to found in the software.
Marco_105

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader