Favorite assets / asset packs

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Favorite assets / asset packs

Postby joepal » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:30 am

Lately, some really great assets have been uploaded to the repos. But for a new user it's pretty cumbersome to separate out the good assets from the stuff that might still benefit from improvement. The voting system ended up kind of a disappointment (things usually either have 5 stars or no votes at all).

I've been thinking about collecting the best picks into some sort of collections/packs/zips (format yet undetermined). Say for example a "best picks within the lingerie category" pack. If/when I make a community release of MH it could be considered whether such packs should be bundled.

But before that: Which assets are your favorites currently? If you made a few different collections from different asset categories, how would you split them up and what would you include?

It'd also be interesting to know to what extent people actually use downloaded assets, ie if it's more than just an amusing perk to have the repos available.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Re: Favorite assets / asset packs

Postby Déesse » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:41 am

I thought of making a short video with my model presenting some of the assets on "MakeHuman Island" (animated).
In case of interest I also thought of giving away some avatars and clothes (rigged) in Opensim. Therefore another suggestion: creators should add for download a short textfile (in Opensim it will be a notecard) with the creator's name or nickname and the licence.
Déesse

Re: Favorite assets / asset packs

Postby badwolf » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:37 am

What might be an idea is to have a standard set of keywords to filter on with the assets downloader script since there are 5? different fields in the MakeClothes plugin.
Hows about
Author: [ freeform string to id author]
Gender: Male , Female , Null , Other [some clothes are designed for Female some Male some Either and we may run into clothing designed for Non Binary Gender body types]
Age: Adult Teen Child Timeless [ some of the clothing is very much designed for adults and we may run into clothing that no adult would wear]
Type: [i think MH uses this to swap when somebody tries to put say multiple shirts on a model]
Collection ID: [another freeform field but multiple authors may make "steam punk" or "fantasty" or ?? collections]

and parsing the mhclo" file for these fields would be "polite" for those that use these assets "On Grid"
badwolf

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader