current hints on making a tutu??

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

current hints on making a tutu??

Postby badwolf » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:31 pm

okay the big problem with assets is that anything NOT or Near the body gets very fiddley.

i now have a decent leotard (to be uploaded later) but i would like to of course do a few tutus/dance skirts. What hints do y'all have on how to set things up??

(my first tutu will be platter style* so its going to be the hardest to get right )

* think Pro Level White Swan
badwolf

Re: current hints on making a tutu??

Postby Aranuvir » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:25 pm

Use "rigid" vertex groups beginning with a '*' in the name, like '*group'. The group consists of three vertices on human side, though having a fourth one would be great. In a very quick and dirty test this method gave me the best results. It is build up of three plains with a hole in the center and a bit of shrink-warping of the 'hole vertices'

grab_2016-04-25_19.07.51.png

BTW, for those who don't meet the opera that often, could you make an introductory tutorial about the different tutu styles? :-)
Aranuvir

Postby badwolf » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:32 pm

Aranuvir wrote:Use "rigid" vertex groups beginning with a '*' in the name, like '*group'. The group consists of three vertices on human side, though having a fourth one would be great. In a very quick and dirty test this method gave me the best results. It is build up of three plains with a hole in the center and a bit of shrink-warping of the 'hole vertices'

grab_2016-04-25_19.07.51.png

BTW, for those who don't meet the opera that often, could you make an introductory tutorial about the different tutu styles? :-)

grabbing the Wiki article section (wiki: tutu for the whole thing)
"The Romantic tutu is still based on Marie Taglioni's original costume, though modern materials mean it is lighter and may be more transparent. The hem falls between the knee and ankle.

The Inverted Bell tutu is midway between the classical tutu and the Romantic tutu. It is made of several layers of tulle which jut out similar to a classical tutu, but the layers are longer and have a downward droop, usually to mid-thigh.

There are several versions of the modern tutu:

Classical tutu: a skirt made of 10-12 layers of stiff tulle sewn on to a pantie and basque at hip level. The lower, short layers of tulle support the top layers, making them jut out from the hip.

Pancake tutu: this tutu is supported by a hoop and is very flat, with few ruffles.

Platter tutu: similar to the pancake tutu but sitting at the waist instead of the hip.

American tutu (also known as the Balanchine, Karinska or powderpuff tutu): Very short ruffles of tulle are loosely sewn on to a pantie to give a soft effect."

oh btw a pancake tutu is fitted at the dancers WAIST

can i get a few details on setting up the groups?? on the tutu side do i set the entire tutu to say *tulle??

a test blend for you
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/539 ... test.blend if you could include a text file with instructions that would help greatly

the big thing i want to make sure of is that the tutu remains the same relative size when i shrink the model down in age (proper fit is the dancers hands just touch the hem when the hands are at a 45 degree angle)
badwolf

Postby Aranuvir » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:25 pm

Indeed I just made a vertex group called *tutu, on the human side it has two vertices on each hip and above the pubic bone. On the tutu the vertex group contains all vertices. I remade the file, kept very simple. I think it's self-explanatory, so it doesn't contain explanations. But I think it will not fit your special conditions about proper fit. Feel free to experiment with it and, of course, ask question, if necessary.
Attachments
tutu_01.blend.zip
(981.02 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
Aranuvir

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader