Playing around with "Universal Low Poly High heel 10cm"

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Re: Playing around with "Universal Low Poly High heel 10cm"

Postby grinsegold » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:39 pm

wolgade wrote:And after you have finished modeling, you have to apply an inversed foot pose to get the feet and the shoes deformed to match the human rest pose?

Why should i invert the pose? With my little invisible plane cloth which poses the foot as well as the bones the way i need them as rest pose, i can model a heel, parent it with automatic weights, and i'm good to go, with toe control and everything. Of course this doesn't mean you can make a cloth for MH that way. When you try to set your human export as "human" manually in the makecloth menu (and your shoe model as "cloth"), you will notice that the created shoe in mh will have deformations, mostly the heel will be shortened because the back-bending toes and their influence are too close to the tip of the heel, when mh tries to show you the flat foot pose. Even if you then tell mh to use the bvh for that shoe, the heel stays short. It's really frustrating modeling high heels for mh, at least for good looking ones.
grinsegold

Postby brkurt » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:48 pm

grinsegold wrote:
wolgade wrote:And after you have finished modeling, you have to apply an inversed foot pose to get the feet and the shoes deformed to match the human rest pose?

Why should i invert the pose? With my little invisible plane cloth which poses the foot as well as the bones the way i need them as rest pose, i can model a heel, parent it with automatic weights, and i'm good to go, with toe control and everything. Of course this doesn't mean you can make a cloth for MH that way. When you try to set your human export as "human" manually in the makecloth menu (and your shoe model as "cloth"), you will notice that the created shoe in mh will have deformations, mostly the heel will be shortened because the back-bending toes and their influence are too close to the tip of the heel, when mh tries to show you the flat foot pose. Even if you then tell mh to use the bvh for that shoe, the heel stays short. It's really frustrating modeling high heels for mh, at least for good looking ones.

Good point about the frustration. It took Marvelous Designer http://www.marvelousdesigner.com three iterations before they realized that hard objects like shoes and jewellery needed to be treated as separate objects, and that's the most expensive state-of-the-art 3d fashion program in the world. So...have a little faith that our design team will come up with a solution. ;)

On that point, why don't you join the Valentina team? They could use your talents. :)
brkurt

Postby grinsegold » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:21 pm

Hopefully noone got me wrong: i didn't complain. When i try to imagine the problems the dev.-team is facing, i'm pretty sure it's not even half of what they really face. So many different requests (open sim functionality, GUI dreams, blendertool related stuff, operating system related bugs, fighting bones....... .
And before one can deliver an idea to a stable state, two new arose. Talking about valentina.
I really feel honored that you can imagine me helping that project, but i'm also sure that your faith in my capabilities is not justified. I don't know coding, and re-attaching a button on a jacket already makes me feel proud like Robinson Crusoe. But i'm looking foreward to the day when smart people will release a Valentina-addon for mh or blender.
Oh, and i don't speak russian, which is a shame since it is such an interesting language, etymologically.
grinsegold

Postby joepal » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:12 pm

grinsegold wrote:Oh, and i don't speak russian, which is a shame since it is such an interesting language, etymologically.

Yeah, that was one of the hurdles I ran into when I checked it up too. Beyond "tavaritj", "njet", "pravda" and "vodka", my russian vocabulary is somewhat limited.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby grinsegold » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:35 pm

Try to impress your future russian girlfriend with "Yaw tebyaw looblooo" (Я тебя люблю) ;)
grinsegold

Postby wolgade » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:44 pm

grinsegold wrote:Why should i invert the pose? [..] Of course this doesn't mean you can make a cloth for MH that way.

I was referring to making assets for MH. You're heel needs to conform the MH rest pose for MakeClothes to work.
Hopefully noone got me wrong: i didn't complain.

Neither did I. I encoutered a problem, where I couldn't find a simple solution for. Now I know, that this simple solution doesn't exist. There's nobody to blame for not providing a one-click checkbox for a not so trivial problem. Given the fact, that MH is open source and no dev ever asked for my money, this is even more true.
wolgade

Postby grinsegold » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:22 pm

So back to the issue. The problem is to change the UV layout, right? I never thought of editing an obj.-file before, but if it's true that the UV is represented by the lines starting with "vt", maybe you could make a copy of the shoe, unwrap it, export it to somewhere and take the UV data from that obj to replace the ones from the Univ. heel.
And maybe this is helpful too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gORp5LC9xZk
grinsegold

Postby duststorm » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:30 pm

wolgade wrote:I might have a lack of knowledge here, but I'm willing to get enlighted.
duststorm wrote:1) load the correction pose on your human (make sure it has the default mesh)

The human which is loaded by MakeClothes? How? It doesn't even have an armature.

To use MakeClothes you need a human basemesh that:
1 has no vertices removed or reordered
2 preferably has all the helper geometry, for fitting clothes to

You can achieve this in many ways
* using MakeClothes preset buttons
* by importing an export from MH with the options to remove hidden geometry off (option in clothes library)
this import from MH can be an OBJ (ensure to set the right importer option in Blender to keep vertex order)
but it can also be a rigged format, for example a collada or FBX file (perhaps it works with MHX 2 too, cannot vouch for that)
* you can also load a skeleton on any human mesh fitting the above requirements by using the mhskel importer plugin for Blender from the mh-utils repo

Once you have such a mesh you can execute the process I have detailed before.

At the moment you start using MakeClothes, make sure the vertex groups on the basemesh used for rigging do not conflict with the ones used for matching clothes
You can solve this for example by removing the groups with bone names (you could do this on a clone of the original basemesh and use that clone for fitting)
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby duststorm » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:40 pm

grinsegold wrote:although it has the same vertex count you can notice that it's slightly off compared to the makecloth avatar.

Note that there is no such thing as a "makecloth avatar", at least not in the sense that you need to use MakeClothes with a specific avatar.
A general rule, though, is that your clothes will always look best on characters very similar to the avatar used. So if you're designing a suit for a muscled male, best to use that type of character for fitting.
But you can use any MakeHuman avatar for it, as long as it has the clothes helpers and its vertex order is correct (otherwise your clothes will look like an exploded mess in MH)

So dont worry about "slightly off", there is no slightly off.
What you see is probably that MakeClothes was distributed with a MH model at one time, and meanwhile the macro targets were improved.
So in fact it would be better to use a character exported from MH than the outdated ones that come with MakeClothes.

In any case, fitting is relative to the basemesh used, so in theory it should not matter much (save for small details).

grinsegold wrote:Also my goal is to have heels that get deformed also by the toes.

I would simply hide all foot geometry that is inside the shoe and hidden (add it to Delete group)

I believe shoes should mainly be parented to the foot bone, and perhaps a little bit to toe bone for flexible shoes.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Postby duststorm » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:46 pm

grinsegold wrote:

Why should i invert the pose?

In theory it could make a difference. Clothes are fit to the mesh in rest pose, then the pose is applied on both the human and the clothing in MH
This is slightly different than fitting the clothes to an already posed mesh.

It might not make a difference, or might be barely noticeable, I'm not certain (bet way to find out is a test).

To be clear: the solution with most chances of success is fitting to the mesh in rest pose, without foot pose correction.
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

PreviousNext

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader