@brkurt: Parthian Head Covering and more ...

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

@brkurt: Parthian Head Covering and more ...

Postby Aranuvir » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:52 am

Parthian Head Covering: On the whole good modelling and deforming as expected, as far as I can test it in MH. But you need to recalculate the normals of your mesh, i.e. inside and outside of the mesh is inverted!
I did some tests with some other models. In parts same issue with your "Southern Belle Ringlets", you need to flip the normals of the curls and parts of the back. Perhaps ad more geometry. And the hair mesh is to far away from the head. Perhaps assign some parts of the mesh directly to the body and not to the hair helper. Can't download HelenOfTroy.mhclo, page not found, Princess Irulan Blonde Wig crashes in MH, compiling issue.

Good luck for the fixing!
Aranuvir

Re: @brkurt: Parthian Head Covering and more ...

Postby brkurt » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:58 pm

Aranuvir wrote:Parthian Head Covering: On the whole good modelling and deforming as expected, as far as I can test it in MH. But you need to recalculate the normals of your mesh, i.e. inside and outside of the mesh is inverted!
I did some tests with some other models. In parts same issue with your "Southern Belle Ringlets", you need to flip the normals of the curls and parts of the back. Perhaps ad more geometry. And the hair mesh is to far away from the head. Perhaps assign some parts of the mesh directly to the body and not to the hair helper. Can't download HelenOfTroy.mhclo, page not found, Princess Irulan Blonde Wig crashes in MH, compiling issue.

Good luck for the fixing!

@Aranuvir. Parthian Head Covering fixed. That's what happens when I rattle a model off in 15 minutes. I now understand why some of my clothes looked transparent in the MH GUI. Many thanks. :)

As for 'Southern Belle Ringlets', I will most likely redesign the whole mesh after Vivien Leigh's character in "Gone With The Wind".

Thanks for trying out the hairpieces; mostly they've been very experimental. I'm going over all my work for these types of fix-its.

What is your workflow? In order to improve my models, it would help to know. Mostly I'm done once I can do a Collada export from Blender.
brkurt

Postby Aranuvir » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:10 pm

Well, I can confirm, the Parthian Head Covering is working as expected. Perhaps it is possible to get the parts beneath the chin and around the neck closer to the body.

I'm not so sure whether it is a good idea to upload very experimental assets, especially when they leave traces in the error-log, i.e. are not working (e.g. rename the files of the spartan worrier from XXX01 to XXX1). This might confuse Newbies. BTW we could ask Joel for an experimental section on contributions page. There you can upload your stuff that needs rework and ask for critiques.

My artistic skills are very limited, so I'm not sure if my work flow is helpful. I start of with modelling by using background images or directly on the base mesh. Then I do the fitting, to the appropriate base mesh with helpers depending on the desired target (male, female, unisex ...). (Making good textures, normal maps, bump maps... is another thing :cry:) Next step is defining good vertex groups often by hand. After export to MH the testing process starts especially under extreme conditions (age, weight, hight...) -> re-fitting, re-do the vertex groups, delete-group... This can be real pain i****.

Mostly I'm done once I can do a Collada export from Blender.

Not sure if I get the point here for a good modelling work flow. You can export almost everything to Collada, so this condition is always true.
Aranuvir

Postby joepal » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:17 pm

Aranuvir wrote:Well, I can confirm, the Parthian Head Covering is working as expected. Perhaps it is possible to get the parts beneath the chin and around the neck closer to the body.

I'm not so sure whether it is a good idea to upload very experimental assets, especially when they leave traces in the error-log, i.e. are not working (e.g. rename the files of the spartan worrier from XXX01 to XXX1). This might confuse Newbies. BTW we could ask Joel for an experimental section on contributions page. There you can upload your stuff that needs rework and ask for critiques.

I'd prefer if you used the collaboration area I opened the other day, see viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13040. That way you can also help each other polish the stuff before uploading to the asset page.
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Aranuvir » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:27 pm

@Joel: Ok. Perhaps make a link to github in the headline of the community page.
Aranuvir

Postby brkurt » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:50 pm

joepal wrote:
Aranuvir wrote:Well, I can confirm, the Parthian Head Covering is working as expected. Perhaps it is possible to get the parts beneath the chin and around the neck closer to the body.

I'd prefer if you used the collaboration area I opened the other day, see viewtopic.php?f=19&t=13040. That way you can also help each other polish the stuff before uploading to the asset page.

No problem, since my primary operating system is Linux. If I may, I'll post new work there. Allow me to clean up my present contributions through the usual channel.
brkurt

Postby Aranuvir » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:13 am

brkurt wrote:No problem, since my primary operating system is Linux. If I may, I'll post new work there. Allow me to clean up my present contributions through the usual channel.

But just the experimental assets! To be honest, I fear, one might lose sight of work on github. Features like the thumbnail gallery are missing.
Aranuvir

Postby joepal » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:02 am

Aranuvir wrote:But just the experimental assets! To be honest, I fear, one might lose sight of work on github. Features like the thumbnail gallery are missing.

Yes, the WIP repo is only intended for short-lived work in progress kind of material. Once it's finished, it should be posted on the web page and deleted from the wip repo.

("deleted" as in "git rm"... It'll still remain in version history if someone wants it)
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader