Astronaut suit

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

Astronaut suit

Postby duststorm » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:29 pm

Moonman pictures has donated a Blender model of an astronaut suit to the community for free!
It might be a nice idea to make a MakeHuman clothing item from it.
While the author simply states "for free" it's not so clear what license this exactly means (really CC0 or something like CC attribution). In any case, if you like it it would be nice to give him a donation via paypal (even if it is a small amount).

It's possible it needs to be poly reduced/retopoed to be a good fit for MH, but if someone wants to have a look, you can find it at

http://www.moonman-pictures.com/news/as ... l-download
MakeHuman™ developer
duststorm

Re: Astronaut suit

Postby grinsegold » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:32 pm

looks cool. Actually i'm working on this one whenever i can encourage myself:
http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/73994
It has more then 20 pieces with lots of tris and several UVmaps. I already managed to compress all the textures into two big ones (4k). Next i will have to get rid of the tris without touching the UV unwrap. Then i will scale the UVs to the new big texture and merge all the parts. It's a bit scary, but i have hope. But that's not my highest priority project, so don't expect results soon.

Edit: I downloaded your proposed astronaut. 660MB! After opening in blender i got the longest list of errors ever, but everything seems to work anyways. The torso alone has 162 tris. The backpack has over 600 ngons. But after a closer look, all these non-quads could rather easily be quadrified. The point where i had to end the blender session with a system tool was when i tried to have a look at the textures in the UV image editor. After the second picture i had a memory peak of something over 7GB. Nice model, but unusable for my machine.
grinsegold

Postby CallHarvey3d » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:33 pm

did anyone grab this before it got taken down? if you email it to me i can put it up after my current project
CallHarvey3d

Postby learning » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:27 pm

Taken down? It seems like it's still available from blendswap. I did download it though, I have it on my other computer.
learning

Postby CallHarvey3d » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:11 pm

yea the original link for moonman. model link is broken. i didnt fish around the site though.
CallHarvey3d

Postby learning » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:25 am

The file is too big for the forum, but I uploaded it on mediafire:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/5g2m8 ... tronaut.7z

This is the older version from blendswap, I downloaded it months ago. Now blenswap says it's updated, but I didn't check it.
learning

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader