questions about creating hair asset and hair material

Discussions about user contributed assets. This is a good place to request new assets, as well as requesting support on existing assets that have been downloaded from the user contributions repository.

Moderator: joepal

questions about creating hair asset and hair material

Postby Anstrah » Thu May 11, 2023 10:06 am

Hello,

I would like to create hair assets but video tutorial doesn't help me; I have several questions about it:

- To create hair assets, have I first to use the hair particule menu of blender or have I to use another way? (I use blender 3.5 version) I know I have to use MakeClothes add-on, but it's about the hair creation itself I am not sure how to do. Is MakeClothes compatible with hair particles of blender? Does exist another way to create hair asset?
In order to try to understand how was created hair assets, I imported several existing hair assets in blender, and I saw they seemed composed of one mesh, but not of blender's hair particles; so I am not sure I have to use blender's hair particles to create har assets...
Could you tell me what is the best way to create hair assets, please?

- I don't understand how you create hair material asset. Do you create materials before to create the hair asset itself, and import it as image texture to blender, or do you create material in same time you crete the hair asset? Video tutorials doesn't seem very clear about it, or maybe I didn't find the right video...
Could you explain to me what is the best way to create hair material, please?

- Does exist video tutorial thet explexplains how to create hair asset with blender 3.5? All videos I found deals with older versions of blender (about 2.6 - 2.7), so I have difficulties to understand well because the interface is quite different on blender 3.5.

Thank you in advance for your answer!
Anstrah

Re: questions about creating hair asset and hair material

Postby RobBaer » Sat May 13, 2023 5:40 pm

Anstrah wrote:Hello,
- To create hair assets, have I first to use the hair particule menu of blender or have I to use another way? (I use blender 3.5 version) I know I have to use MakeClothes add-on, but it's about the hair creation itself I am not sure how to do. Is MakeClothes compatible with hair particles of blender? Does exist another way to create hair asset?
In order to try to understand how was created hair assets, I imported several existing hair assets in blender, and I saw they seemed composed of one mesh, but not of blender's hair particles; so I am not sure I have to use blender's hair particles to create har assets...
Could you tell me what is the best way to create hair assets, please?

I am not an expert on hair, but the answer is that you can NOT use particle hair. You must use mesh hair created in Blender or another similar program and then construct materials to make the hair look realistic. Hair is a fairly difficult topic but there are quite a few tutorials on the web.

On the other hand, you can create the human in MakeHuman, move the human to Blender using the MPFB plugin, and then add particle hair. This works fine if you don't want to bring the human back into MH.

Anstrah wrote:- I don't understand how you create hair material asset. Do you create materials before to create the hair asset itself, and import it as image texture to blender, or do you create material in same time you crete the hair asset? Video tutorials doesn't seem very clear about it, or maybe I didn't find the right video...
Could you explain to me what is the best way to create hair material, please?

You create the materials at the same time you create the hair.

Anstrah wrote:- Does exist video tutorial thet explexplains how to create hair asset with blender 3.5? All videos I found deals with older versions of blender (about 2.6 - 2.7), so I have difficulties to understand well because the interface is quite different on blender 3.5.

While looking for such a thing, I found an interesting tutorial https://www.google.com/search?q=creating+mesh+hair+in+blender+for+makhuman+tutorial&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS946US946&oq=creating+mesh+hair+in+blender+for+makhuman+tutorial&aqs=chrome..69i57.11709j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_9MhfZOSUK_mD0PEPgaS7sAY_31that discusses converting particle hair into mesh hair and applying a material in Blender 2.8. Perhaps this is of interest to you.
RobBaer

Re: questions about creating hair asset and hair material

Postby Anstrah » Mon May 15, 2023 1:58 pm

Hi ! Thank you very much for your answer ! You says there are a few tutorials on the web, but all of I foud wasn't very clear... Perhaps I didn't find the right tutorials... Do you know a good tutorial explaining how to create hair asset and realistic hair material? Especially, I gess the most difficult is the material, isn't it? Is there a turorial that explains how to create realistic hair material in blender?

I also saw that is exist a function to convert hair particles to mesh in blender. I didn't try yet, but do you know if it could work to create a hair asset?

Thank you in advance for your answer.
Anstrah

Return to Assets, asset repositories and asset downloader