Sketchup + Makehuman + Fry render

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Sketchup + Makehuman + Fry render

Postby kwistenbiebel » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:33 am

Hi there,

I posted this on the old forum and thought it would be apropriate to re-post these images here.
Really loving Makehuman. I hope a clothing and hair option will be added soon as I think that this is necessary.

Here are the images. Feel free to comment:

Regards,
Kwistenbiebel
kwistenbiebel

Re: Sketchup + Makehuman + Fry render

Postby Manuel » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:11 pm

Wow!!
Can we use for official gallery?

...anyway it seem you have not used subdivision, right?
Manuel

Postby kwistenbiebel » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:33 pm

Thank you Manuel.
I would be honored if it was put in the gallery.

Unfortunately Sketchup hasn't got a subdivision tool :(......I kind of hoped it would be a future option in Makehuman :)

Cheers,
Kwistenbiebel
kwistenbiebel

Postby Manuel » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:04 pm

kwistenbiebel wrote:Thank you Manuel.

Unfortunately Sketchup hasn't got a subdivision tool :(......I kind of hoped it would be a future option in Makehuman :)

Cheers,
Kwistenbiebel

In meantime try this:

- export obj from MH
- import obj in Blender
- subdivide it
- export subdivided obj from Blender
- import it in Sketchup...

so you can post here the HQ version!

Ciao,

Manuel
Manuel

Postby kwistenbiebel » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:45 pm

I tried Blender but I quickly gave up as everything is so counter-intuitive and I have the feeling that I need 10 times more actions to get the same thing done with 1 action in Sketchup.
So the subdivision was no succes :lol: .

Another SU scene where I 'sprayed' around some of those running people. (Sketchup has a new 'component spray plugin'):
Indigo Render (Skindigo exporter):

Another one, but those people are really small :):

last one, noisy and i forgot to smooth the people:

kwistenbiebel

Postby kwistenbiebel » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:58 pm

By the way,
when will MakeHuman support clothing and hair ?
kwistenbiebel

Postby Manuel » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:04 pm

kwistenbiebel wrote:By the way,
when will MakeHuman support clothing and hair ?

Be patient. The core of new MH is already in SVN. Maybe we jump directly from 0.9.1RC1 to 1.0RC1 !!!
Manuel

Postby masterwriter42 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:52 pm

kwistenbiebel wrote:Thank you Manuel.

Cheers,
Kwistenbiebel

Excelent work on these! It has a very motion-blurry atmosphere ;p.

On the subject of Subdivision:
I would strongly, and I do mean Strongly, suggest trying the program "Wings 3D", which is a free application. I have a Mac OSX 10.4.1, but I am almost certain that it is on Windows, if not all of the main systems of today, including linux/unix. I hope this is of help to everyone.
I have been using a wide variety of programs lately, but I have found an excellent balance, using the following programs for the following things:

1. Make Human: I think it's pretty obvious what I use this for :P.
2. Wings 3D: The above stated Subdivision ability; Easy, customizable control schemes (I choose to use the Motion Builder camera scheme on my Mac, because it only requires holding down Control (CTRL) to zoom, shift to move/pan the camera in the 2nd dimension, and the combination of the Control key and the Shift key (either one is fine, of course. That's the beauty of Shift keys!) to rotate the camera around the field of the modeling universe. It's very intuitive, and has easy, comfortable color-scheme customization abilities, down to adjusting almost everything in the entire program. It's got lots of plug-ins, too. BUT, my favorite features are the Smoothing abilities, which are sometimes the most effective examples of smoothing I've ever seen. So long as the object does not become deformed because the smoothing is so strong that it :roll: disconnects or connects things that cannot possibly be good for the project at hand, such as 90% of this one bird model I was working on disappearing for no apparent reason. But it's still well worth it. WINGS 3D imports all sorts of formats, from FBX (Alias- Motion Builder) files, to 3DS, to OBJ, and so forth, and can export to just about any format I've ever heard of, that is of the base model formats and not framed, program-specific and non-interchangeable varieties. But I digress... I use this for all sorts of things. Basically, I combine this and SKP to do all creation of original, raw 3D stuff, that are not humans. As smooth and wonderful as MH people usually are, sometimes you want specifically to have an unnaturally smooth character, and that's the best way to go.
3. Sketch-Up Pro: I use this for functions that I either find more comfortable with this program than Wings 3D, or to connect the dots, so to speak, when I need to, in one of my projects. I am working on a short film right now, and this will be the main method of mayhem. Scenery is sometimes best handled in a program like this, even if it isn't one of the free ones. It's a bit frustrating at times to free-hand things, because my lines tend to go into the wrong dimensions quite frequently (draw a line, and it's sometimes a serious risk to the CPU, since it could very easily stretch away from you seemingly forever, instead of being what you want it to be.).
4. DAZ STUDIO 2.0: Free, Tell-A-Friend program, by DAZ 3D, whom I love to pieces. This is in my opinion the best free 3D media composition tool that I have used, and I've been around the block a few too many times for my taste, and tried out far too many programs that ended up not even loading properly on my machine. That sounds odd. Oh well. All sorts of features, and incorporates the abilities to POWER-POSE the figures, and even grab a specific bone (piece of the character/model) and move all of the rest of it in accordance, excluding anything you 'pin' in place so as to create a constant/grounding point. And, hey, it's free. Quick and easy to compose movies. Games are out of the question right now, as interactive medias are not within it's scope to the best of my knowledge, but there are other programs for that.
5. Adobe: The usual uses, but I also use it for the more obscure transparency maps and such.
6. ART-RAGE: A demo of a program that totally rocks! It's like PS, but each tool comes out on the incredibly realistic and customizable canvas, looking just like the actual instrument would on a physical, real-world canvas of the same sort with the said tool.
7. Various other such demos and such. I'm cheap, and broke. So I need to watch my budget.

That's my powerful lineup. Plain and simple.

Now, see, my problem is that I've been wanting to contact MH about how I might freely register the older copy of MH I have, as it has all the extra bells and whistles, should I be able to without spending money on it. I will if I have to, but I know the new version is free, so I don't see how that would me reasonable. Anyway, I'm still saving up for a copy of POSER 7, or perhaps POSER CHARACTER ARTIST. I got to try the demo of P7, but it is doesn't let you do anything other than piddle around with the most basic of it's fantastic features, and you can't import or export anything in any way, ever. But I've seen what it can do, so I'm enticed. That's by e-Frontier, and can be found on their site, including some free models and stuff like that. But I really love MH, especially the fantasy settings that are in V. 0.9.1. I hope I can get that sorted out soon.

Respectfully yours,
Tomas Krystinik,
Digital Medias Artistic Renaissance Man.
masterwriter42

Postby lovemakehuman » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:21 pm

kwistenbiebel wrote:I tried Blender but I quickly gave up as everything is so counter-intuitive

Yea, pretty much everyone that gets started with Blender fills the same way as you do(alot of rage/tears)....But, if you keep at it you will begin to see that Blender is probably, hands down, the best program out there.
lovemakehuman

Postby kwistenbiebel » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:17 am

Wow thank you both for your answer.
I should really look into wings3D. That sounds very interesting.
Daz3D I tried before but abandoned it...maybe I need to pick it up again.

I recently started to use Indigo, the unbiased free render engine together with the SKetchup plugin called Skindigo.
It supports instancing/proxies and animation.

Here's an animation I made recently which has the makehuman 'runner' character I made earlier in it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAxdSfJ8JHo

Indigo is lots of fun but I am still waiting for biased render soft for Skethchup (new Vray version?) that supports both instancing as animation.
kwistenbiebel

Return to Gallery