WIP Arnold

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

WIP Arnold

Postby bane-x » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:44 pm

I will try to create famous actor with MH by using this tutorial http://cgcookie.com/blender/series/crea ... stic-head/

WIP1
Blender 2.63a render
Last edited by bane-x on Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bane-x

Re: WIP Arnold

Postby Manuel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:30 am

Very good start!
The real Arnold features are a bit different (for example the nose) but it's already good.
NOTE: Using the most recent nightly build mesh, the UV of upper lips are fixed.

To inspire you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7YYfgx_cHo
Manuel

Postby bane-x » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:34 pm

Thanks. This is just the start WIP picture, still looks like the generic model, need a lot of work on the jaw, nose ... :). I made a normal (also specular and AO) map with free software "xNormal" for details of the skin.
If I use recent nightly build mesh I'll have to do everything from the beginning. Lips is not so big problem, it can be fixed in a Blender ;)
bane-x

Postby Manuel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:03 pm

bane-x wrote:Thanks. This is just the start WIP picture, still looks like the generic model, need a lot of work on the jaw, nose ... :).

Looking forward to see how it will proceed.
When it will be near the complementation, I'd like to post it on our official facebook page too.

bane-x wrote: I made a normal (also specular and AO) map with free software "xNormal" for details of the skin.

Very good software indeed. I'm still waiting they make the linux version :)

bane-x wrote:If I use recent nightly build mesh I'll have to do everything from the beginning. Lips is not so big problem, it can be fixed in a Blender

Next time tips: modeling without altering the topology permit to make targets that can be imported in MH (on the improved UV too) ;)
Manuel

Postby bane-x » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:15 pm

Manuel wrote:Looking forward to see how it will proceed.
When it will be near the complementation, I'd like to post it on our official facebook page too.

Ok, thanks :D

Manuel wrote:Next time tips: modeling without altering the topology permit to make targets that can be imported in MH (on the improved UV too) ;)

I have separated head from body and also eyes, tongue, teeth because I thought that be easier to use with Sculpt mode. I have no experience with that and I did not have in mind to make a target.
If I understand, when all that is put together again, such model can not be used for target and imported in MH?
Anyway, I download the latest version of MH from the site and I will try to learn more about make target. I remember Frankenstein, he looked great.
bane-x

Postby JuergenPB » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:42 pm

It looks good!

Using the skulpture tool as shown in the video is a good idea and it looks so easy and fast.
But the MH Mesh has 15340 Vertices and to get good results, the multiresolution-modifier is needed.

This means:
1st subdivision: 59970 Vertices
2nd subdivision: 236118 Vertices
3rd subdivision: 937950 Vertices

No chance for me and my computer. :oops:
Regards
Juergen
JuergenPB

Postby brkurt » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks for the point about resolutions; especially since you intend to create a hyper-realistic version of the most famous bodybuilder of all time. It looks like you're going for 1980 Arnold. I've argued on this forum that one cannot recreate that kind of a physique (muscularity and vascularity) without mutiple resolutions. In resolution level 1 or 2, you will need to use Blender to hide vertex groups so that you can work only on the few you need at a time.
brkurt

Postby bane-x » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:40 am

JuergenPB wrote:It looks good!

Thanks!

JuergenPB wrote:Using the skulpture tool as shown in the video is a good idea and it looks so easy and fast.
But the MH Mesh has 15340 Vertices and to get good results, the multiresolution-modifier is needed.

This means:
1st subdivision: 59970 Vertices
2nd subdivision: 236118 Vertices
3rd subdivision: 937950 Vertices

No chance for me and my computer. :oops:

brkurt wrote:Thanks for the point about resolutions; especially since you intend to create a hyper-realistic version of the most famous bodybuilder of all time. It looks like you're going for 1980 Arnold. I've argued on this forum that one cannot recreate that kind of a physique (muscularity and vascularity) without mutiple resolutions. In resolution level 1 or 2, you will need to use Blender to hide vertex groups so that you can work only on the few you need at a time.

For the first time, I'll try to make just the head, following the tutorial .
bane-x

Postby bane-x » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:25 pm

I decided to try to start from the beginning with the newer mesh.
Maximum level of detail with SubSurf modifier, subdivisions 3.
bane-x

Postby Manuel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:03 am

So, if you don't alter the topology of the mesh, it can be a good chance to improve a lot the bodybuilder target.
I'm not satisfied by the current one.
Also, maybe this time we can get a good muscle bump map...:-p
Manuel

Next

Return to Gallery