CHASE a 3D animation in Blender

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

CHASE a 3D animation in Blender

Postby Joshea » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:53 pm

CHASE is a 3D animation with two MAKEHUMAN characters. Tess the detective, is dressed with Punkduck's blue jean outfit (looks great). The perp is, well you know, just sort of blah. This is my 5th 3D short animation, and I continue to use MAKEHUMAN, for the ease of use, versality and I'm good with the looks that can be produced.
Credits are embedded at the end. Total run time is 2 minutes. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wesjuFodSDo
Attachments
Chicago Chase thumb.png
Joshea

Re: CHASE a 3D animation in Blender

Postby spreadcore » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:12 am

Doesn't look bad! Though the way the guy was standing straight up in the back of the pickup truck when it took off, he would have fell backwards out of bed onto the pavement.
spreadcore

Postby Joshea » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:43 am

spreadcore wrote:Doesn't look bad! Though the way the guy was standing straight up in the back of the pickup truck when it took off, he would have fell backwards out of bed onto the pavement.

Thanks for watching. I tried to leave a couple of seconds between the jump and the standing, giving enough time to get his balance. But I do see what you're saying. :lol:
Joshea

Postby Mindfront » Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:26 pm

Incredible, very impressive :shock: . How long did it take to make and render?
Mindfront

Postby Joshea » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:17 pm

Mindfront wrote:Incredible, very impressive :shock: . How long did it take to make and render?

Thanks Mindfront :D . It took about 3 months from start to finish. Most rendering was done overnight. I'm on a Mac Mini with 8GB of ram, so I try and stay clear of physics (like smoke) for now. Looking at the new Mac Studio coming out in a couple of weeks. Got to do my taxes first though, because I always owe the government. Getting ready for the next animation. It'll have a motorcycle chase in it.
Joshea

Postby punkduck » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:06 am

Hi there

Yes it looks great. Sometimes for smoke etc. and rendering it might make sense to use the tricks of a game engine, so to fake smoke in another layer "in front".

My old mac mini ... well, I guess this box would even render until today when I did my 3 minutes video. On the other hand, I also used that box to do the smaller animations in my thread and in those times blender was slower when rendering especially strand-hair. But it also worked. I guess the darkness of your scene was the real challenge (normally fireflies all around the scene will occur then).

The bigger problem I think is an idea and technically the composition of the video. And I always have problems with intersecting (actor with actor or actor with components (like the floor), even actor with own body).
What is your experience with that?

Greetings
Punkduck
punkduck

Postby Joshea » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:02 pm

punkduck wrote:Hi there

Yes it looks great. Sometimes for smoke etc. and rendering it might make sense to use the tricks of a game engine, so to fake smoke in another layer "in front".

My old mac mini ... well, I guess this box would even render until today when I did my 3 minutes video. On the other hand, I also used that box to do the smaller animations in my thread and in those times blender was slower when rendering especially strand-hair. But it also worked. I guess the darkness of your scene was the real challenge (normally fireflies all around the scene will occur then).

The bigger problem I think is an idea and technically the composition of the video. And I always have problems with intersecting (actor with actor or actor with components (like the floor), even actor with own body).
What is your experience with that?

Greetings
Punkduck

Hey, thanks for the comments.

Once I got really into understanding the graph editor, intersecting actor with actor, or object, really started to come together for me. I'm not promoting it, but I did spend $60 on the "Alive" animation course by Pierrick Picaut (about 6 months ago). He has a strong accent, which in the long run probably helped me. I had to go real slow (course is about 40hrs) to make sure I understood what he was talking about.

I'm using Makehuman mesh with Mixamo fbx animated rigs in a lot of scenes (fbx doesn't have a head rig). Once you get used to them (IMO way superior to bvh) they are quite easy to manipulate the way you want without losing the quality.

Yea, I'd like to add smoke (and spend more time in composite), especially when the truck took off with the guy on the bed. It would have raised the quality up a notch. But for the past few months, my mac mini crashes when I start putting too much in the scene, and then baking, o well.

Your asset contributions are really appreciated, it makes my life a lot easier. Though I can model, and still do when necessary, I'm really into the animation end of it.

Cheers,
Joshea
Joshea

Postby Mindfront » Tue May 03, 2022 10:31 pm

Joshea wrote:It took about 3 months from start to finish. Most rendering was done overnight. I'm on a Mac Mini with 8GB of ram, so I try and stay clear of physics (like smoke) for now. Looking at the new Mac Studio coming out in a couple of weeks. Got to do my taxes first though, because I always owe the government. Getting ready for the next animation. It'll have a motorcycle chase in it.

Fantastic what can be done with limited equipment. I'm not familiar with Mac Mini but 8GB ram is really on the edge in most cases. Hope you get a new computer so you can let your creativity flow even more :D Tax is okay but usually too high in proportion to what you get in return :roll: At least in Sweden. Looking forward to the next video with great excitement 8-)
Mindfront

Postby Joshea » Tue May 03, 2022 11:23 pm

Mindfront, thanks for the encouragement. :D
Joshea

Return to Gallery