The Data Defenders

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

The Data Defenders

Postby MargaretToigo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:38 pm

These are some stills from my latest project, a short comic book style video about data storage infrastructure and management in the 21st century. It was made to accompany a serious lecture and discussion series. My husband, Jon Toigo, is considered one of the world's leading experts on the subject of data storage management and a lot of my work is centered on that concept.

The video is up on my YouTube channel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELhtWpVR8xM

DataDefenders5.png
The Data Defenders
MargaretToigo

Re: The Data Defenders

Postby MargaretToigo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:45 pm

I used a lot of different assets from here and other places. I converted them all to toon shading and changed some colors and/or textures to match the production design and color scheme.

Soldier1.png
Soldier1 -- Patrol Cap and Tactical Vest by Mindfront

Soldier2.png
Soldier2 -- Patrol Cap and Tactical Vest by Mindfront
MargaretToigo

Postby MargaretToigo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:03 pm

Some of you may remember a discussion about MakeClothes, and making suits with a universal fit, or at least close. I used my suits for two of the characters, and Mindfront's M_Suit01, with a colorized texture and toon shading for the other. Ben has grinsegold's half bald and combover hairstyle.

Amanda.png
Amanda

Dean.png
Dean

Ben.png
Ben. Suit Design, M_Suit01, by Mindfront. Hair by grinsegold.

SitRoom.png
The Situation Room
Last edited by MargaretToigo on Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MargaretToigo

Postby MargaretToigo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:13 pm

I made this "super hero" costume, except for the boots and the horns on the helmet. I will probably eventually upload versions of some of its parts (dress, cape, gauntlets and leggings) with different branding and coloring -- perhaps with a MakeHuman logo.

DynamicRAM.png
DynamicRAM
MargaretToigo

Postby MargaretToigo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:22 pm

This character has flat shading, a wireframe modifier and reflective skin. Scenes with him in them took an extra six to ten minutes to render in Blender internal. His clothes and hair are Daz assets that I converted. The Humvee in the background also came from Daz.

MagDisk.png
MagDisk
MargaretToigo

Postby MargaretToigo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:29 pm

I made this costume from the tights helper. It's just a simple bodysuit with some extruded vertices for the boots. FlashRAM is wearing punkduck's Sport Sunglasses, whose texture was re-colored to match the costume.

FlashRAM.png
FlashRAM. Sport Sunglasses by punkduck
MargaretToigo

Postby MargaretToigo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:48 pm

This character's dress is based on Mindfront's F_Dress_10 and a dress from Daz. The texture is mine. Her hair is from Daz.
I don't use a whole lot of stuff the way it comes "out of the box." I re-work and re-design meshes and textures, and combine parts of assets while adding my own touches.
There is a set of credits in the video for general "Fashions," clothes and accessories that were based on several different items, as well as some specific credits for assets I really only re-colored.

Optical.png
Optical
MargaretToigo

Postby MargaretToigo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:58 pm

This character is wearing mostly clothes that I made, except for Mindfront's Biker Boots (not shown in this pic). His mechanical arm was made from two different robot arms, to which I added the inside parts, some wires and ball joints at the wrist and elbow.

Sometimes, I spend an awful lot of time on little details that nobody but me notices because they're only on the screen for a few seconds.

MagneticTape.png
MagneticTape
MargaretToigo

Postby RobBaer » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:16 pm

MargaretToigo wrote:Some of you may remember a discussion about MakeClothes, and making suits with a universal fit, or at least close. I used my suits for two of the characters, and Mindfront's M_Suit01, with a colorized texture and toon shading for the other. Ben has grinsegold's half bald and combover hairstyle.

These characters and the situation room are great! Thanks for sharing.
RobBaer

Postby punkduck » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:56 pm

A story of that length isn't easy. You need a scenario and all the things also Hollywood is using, effects, music, voices, where you add cuts etc. Great work! The comic style also fits. Funny how you add the excerpt of the real movies into this comic style film.
punkduck

Next

Return to Gallery