techwear man

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

techwear man

Postby sepharis » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:33 am

Hello, I wanted to share my latest render with makehuman!
Most of the modelling and rendering was done in Blender, displacement maps and skin texture in zbrush.

Here is my skin material setup for those that are curious. The most important things I found were good displacement maps (or normal/bump if you prefer) and stronger colours in the diffuse as having SSS and shininess can wash it out. The roughness map was to simulate areas that are generally more oily on the face like forehead and nose. I was new to zbrush in this project and was amazed at the quality of skin detail produced by the brushes. Since the displacement map contains no licensed images, I've decided to share it here (only the face is detailed, no body sculpting).
skin_d.zip
skin displacement
(17.48 MiB) Downloaded 898 times

And the skin node setup is as follows. Sometimes the displacement maps look good in zbrush but too weak/strong in blender, so use a math node to adjust that. Lighting is also very important to show off a good shader. HDR maps are the easiest way, but the next simpliest way that makes skin and cloth look good is rim lighting (via emission plane from behind) + sun lamp of 0.1 size or smaller from side

And finally some bonus process animations.

Thanks makehuman for continuing to create great software and customisable body models :)
sepharis

Re: techwear man

Postby Aranuvir » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:23 pm

Outstanding work! :D
Aranuvir

Postby punkduck » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Hi

I never tried to use a special displacement-map instead of a normal map. Looks very interresting ...
Cool stuff. :shock:
punkduck

Postby sepharis » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:23 am

punkduck wrote:Hi

I never tried to use a special displacement-map instead of a normal map. Looks very interresting ...
Cool stuff. :shock:

Thanks!
I was using the experimental microdisplacement feature in 2.79, because in zbrush you can raise/lower the surface quite a extreme amount. Normally you would just export a new base mesh, but makehuman's model is already rigged and has shape keys so I didn't want to bother with that. Using a normal/bump map means you would lose a lot of depth you added in zbrush, but with microdisplacment, the actual geometry is pushed up and down.
I found out that you didn't need a displacement map for skin, but it was quite useful for clothing folds. Microdisplacment does make blender a little unstable though, but its alright for a simple scene with one model.
sepharis

Postby jujube » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:17 am

Same as the others, I agree this is amazing! In addition to the rendering/materials, the final result for the face shape looks great. I'll have to read your post and study your methods... later... when i have time...
jujube

Postby Mindfront » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:25 pm

Your character looks fantastic and the clothes and design is outstanding. Someday I hope to reach this level of detailed clothing. Adding a displacement map is a great idea, this can solve some of the problem of making bigger folds as a normal map is most suited for small surface details. In that way it should be possible to keep the mesh low poly in MakeHuman and add the folds in Blender with a displacement map and let the normal map only add the tiny details.
Mindfront

Postby Feduk » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:52 pm

I really like the jacket that the techwear man wears. I would love to have something similar to myself, as I am a very big fan of techwear. I have loved it ever since I was a teen, and I admired its comfortability and the multitude of pockets that it has. Also, the magnetic feel that these clothes give you is unmatchable. I have been wearing techwear from https://atlas1.co/ for almost a decade, and I can say I have never disliked any techwear clothes that I had. I don't think I will ever switch from techwear to any other type of clothing. It is literally my favorite style.
Last edited by Feduk on Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feduk

Postby MatCreator » Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:33 am

that is really awesome and shows the power of makehuman... the character is textured and rendered so well and has a very unique look, very lifelike. great job!
MatCreator

Return to Gallery