Body study as seen from my perspective

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: Body study as seen from my perspective

Postby blindsaypatten » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:27 am

Would it be difficult to apply the new skin material on the old mesh? I'm just curious as to the relative contributions of the topology vs the skin, and the reusability of the skin.

The difference is certainly significant, it must be very satisfying.
blindsaypatten

Postby loki1950 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:31 am

Really like the lighting evolution between the two iterations the latter feels better as well as looking better.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby Mindfront » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:50 pm

blindsaypatten wrote:Would it be difficult to apply the new skin material on the old mesh? I'm just curious as to the relative contributions of the topology vs the skin, and the reusability of the skin.
In theory the old character should look the same if using the new skin textures and material and the UV layout is the same.

blindsaypatten wrote:The difference is certainly significant, it must be very satisfying.
Yes, and a fun thing is that I then thought the character looked very good and never have in mind of doing an own skin texture and material.

loki1950 wrote:Really like the lighting evolution between the two iterations the latter feels better as well as looking better.
All materials was remade to use principled shader. The basic light is almost exactly the same so it was a pleasant surprise to see how much difference the principled shader and some new knowledge about specular settings really do. Some blur is also added to the new renders as they are rendered using lesser samples.

Fast in, fast out...
Updated my "Foot Toe correction Female" http://www.makehumancommunity.org/targe ... emale.html as I discovered some minor flaws in the previous version, especially the little toe.

The promised freckled skin texture is finished. This is a heavy modified version of the original skin texture "young lightskinned female diffuse3". The same freckle layer used on my character Fanny and some other details is added. First a full size jpeg as preview and then a ZIP including the PNG-version.
young_lightskinned_female_diffuse3_freckles.jpg
Jpeg preview version of 4096p MakeHuman skin with freckles.
young_lightskinned_female_diffuse3_freckles.zip
4096p MakeHuman skin with freckles.
(19.24 MiB) Downloaded 1427 times
Mindfront

Postby wolgade » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:23 pm

Great work as always. Thanks for sharing the texture. If I only had time to do something with it.
wolgade

Postby blindsaypatten » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:19 pm

I am wondering whether it would be practical or maybe even a good idea to create some sort of "character pack" that bundles together all the assets to create a character of, or near the caliber of, the things you are posting here. I'm thinking of something that one could unzip into one's personal makehuman directory and then be able to load a .mhm file and immediately have something that looks great and can be customized to one's own tastes.

I think it would be really inspiring for new users if they could immediately have everything they need to make a truly great character, instead of starting with a nondescript toon and having to search through the contrib directories to find all the assets you need, when you probably don't even know which assets you need.

Consider all those great targets you've posted, many of them correct weak points in the default model, wouldn't it be nice if there were a simple way to get all of the general purpose ones and apply them, and then go on to create one's character?

Wouldn't it be nice for there to be a more obvious way to discover the great skins you're making?

I think some of the similar-purpose programs out there have character packs like this. Maybe it could just be a file that the community downloader plugin, or some other plugin, could read and download a specific list of assets and apply them.

I'm not asking you to do this, it's just your stuff is really inspiring, and a little overwhelming to keep track of, and I would like to see it inspiring more people and just generally raising the level of the what people can easily produce with MakeHuman.

[And apologies to everyone for making way too many posts today, I must be procrastinating doing something...]
blindsaypatten

Postby wolgade » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:50 am

blindsaypatten wrote:I am wondering whether it would be practical or maybe even a good idea to create some sort of "character pack" that bundles together all the assets to create a character of,

Something like a starter package similar to those provided by DAZ? This is an interesting idea.
blindsaypatten wrote:I'm thinking of something that one could unzip into one's personal makehuman directory and then be able to load a .mhm file and immediately have something that looks great

And here the trouble starts. Microsoft is as good as it gets when it comes to hiding the directory structure from the user. Many new users simply fail to find the right folder to unzip to. A lot of posts here deal exactly with this problem. It might be a good idea to put the starter package straight into the MH distribution.
wolgade

Postby blindsaypatten » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:20 am

I think putting it in the distribution is the best option.

I agree that unzips are not ideal. I do like Blender's approach where you go to the addon panel and select the zip file, and it takes care of putting it in the right place.

But if including these packs right in the distribution isn't possible I wonder if an automatic download/install might be the best option. I noticed that the .mhm files contain the uid for the objects. Could the object loader, or a plugin, read the .mhm file and if anything is missing automatically download it from the website?

Anyway, we should get out of Mindfront's thread if we want to discuss this further. I really do think that something along these lines would really be good to have.
blindsaypatten

Postby joepal » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:41 am

I've started a new thread about asset packs / new core assets here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=16758
Joel Palmius (LinkedIn)
MakeHuman Infrastructure Manager
http://www.palmius.com/joel
joepal

Postby Mindfront » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:12 am

blindsaypatten wrote:I am wondering whether it would be practical or maybe even a good idea to create some sort of "character pack" that bundles together all the assets to create a character of, or near the caliber of, the things you are posting here.
A character pack has been on my mind and a very simple one is under construction.

blindsaypatten wrote:Wouldn't it be nice for there to be a more obvious way to discover the great skins you're making?
So far I haven't contributed any great skin :) , the old skin of Aksel and a low resolution version of Samuel. The 4096p freckled skin is relatively good but have no MakeHuman material therefore posted here instead. Later that may change... It seems quite possible to make very decent high resolution skins of the original already existing skins. But they need alot of work removing all visible UV-seams.

blindsaypatten wrote:I'm not asking you to do this, it's just your stuff is really inspiring, and a little overwhelming to keep track of, and I would like to see it inspiring more people and just generally raising the level of the what people can easily produce with MakeHuman.
Thank you for the encouragement :) May I also encourage you continue experimenting on deformations, especially bending the knees. I haven't had time to explore your weight painting addon yet, but it seems very interesting.
Mindfront

Postby Mindfront » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:25 pm

Here is my complete character Aksel, although only using 4096p jpeg skin textures to keep the file size down. All necessary files in one zip. To dress Aksel you can load the supplied raw MakeHuman model and after import in Blender, transfer the assets to the full Blender character. It needs some practise but after a while it's very easy (no time yet to make a more detailed description of the process). A censored version is uploaded to Blendswap, this is the uncensored version so called NSFW, therefore avoid if sensitive.

The MakeHuman model can't be uploaded to "Models" as it needs alot of targets which has to be supplied and the blender file is like a scene, including the complete character with materials, textures, extra vertex groups and modifiers. So at the moment I add it here instead and leave an opening to move it to a more suitable easy to find place later.

The old MakeHuman model of Aksel is now obsolete and deleted but the older, simpler 2048p CC0 version of he's skin textures is left for you who prefer that.

A short presentation:
This is Aksel, length 192 cm, weight about 126 kg. Scale 1:1. The textures resolution is 4096p, jpeg to keep the file size down. The skin material uses the Principled BSDF with SSS and the same I posted here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15545#p43168

Made in cooperation with my friend Bellatrix, who came up with the original idea, to use when ever needing this kind of character in a scene and an excuse for experimenting texturing scars, wounds and bruises.

Buildt and rigged using MakeHuman 1.1.1 standard topology 13378 faces, and the default skeleton no toes with face bones. Exported using Mhx2 scale units meter. Some of my own MakeHuman targets (shapes) is added to enhance the base mesh and also using my own nails and teeth.

In Blender added some corrective shape-keys and corrective smooth modifier to adjust some of the deformations but the legs still look bad if bent to much. Aksel is only ment to be used in still image renders and never tested animated.

All modifiers, also Subsurf x1, is activated and can make Aksel a bit hard to pose.

The textures, except for the tongue (original MakeHuman) is made by me. Aksel's color texture is based upon an original MakeHuman skin and the tattoos is license CC0 from various sources.

A preview image of what you get, except the pose as that is only for the preview.
Character_Aksel_Preview.jpg
Character Aksel preview (censored)

In this ZIP-file:
- A .blend file including the character, some poses, materials, textures and HDRi "Studio Small 01" license: CC0 from https://hdrihaven.com, a shadow catcher and a camera.
- Supplied is a raw MakeHuman version you can load in MakeHuman to dress or add other assets to the complete Blender version.
- The preview images is also included.

Character_Aksel.zip
Aksel MakeHuman-Blender bundle
(23 MiB) Downloaded 1279 times
Mindfront

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery