Body study as seen from my perspective

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: Body study as seen from my perspective

Postby Mindfront » Tue May 01, 2018 6:53 pm

punkduck wrote:I dunno, this guy looks cute in a way ... a bit clumsy maybe. Exactly one of these guys who are not able to open the door with a key or door handle ... y'know ... but he comes in nevertheless and has to buy a new door. ;)
:lol: Aksel think doors is for sissies and prefer cave openings :roll:

punkduck wrote:And please, after he is playing the role of the opponent of Zakiya, the next role will be Hamlet ... (if he is a good actor, he must be able to do that also). :shock:
If Aksel still standing after close encounter with Zakiya lets see whats can be done, but Aksel is terrible at acting as he has a very limited vocabulary :oops:

punkduck wrote:To be honest, that is one of the most impressive characters I've seen, especially texture and normalmap are very realistic. I'm absolutely sure, that I'm not really able to create a character like that. Maybe because I always try to the characters without flaws.
Almost all my characters has several flaws :ugeek: Aksel is made by Bellatrix, I just made the textures. When being able to reuse previous work it's possible to do many number of variations.

punkduck wrote:Question: Is the character completely symmetric, so that you can mirror the shape-keys? I've also created the same keys for the knees, but had problems because of missing symmetry here and there.
That was one of the problem when I did Aksel's muscles as I modified the shape key I use on Samuel but had to make some adjustments. When trying to mirror only resulted in error as Aksel is unsymmetric. My solution is to use a symmetric carrier, like import a symmetric MakeHuman character, transfer the shape key to it, do the mirror, and transfer it back to Aksel.

I have made a tutorial, with all I know about corrective shape keys and how I solved the mirroring on non symmetrical character and sent it to joepal for review and (maybe) publishing.

Next character is "Big Head"... I just have to make some renders.
Mindfront

Postby Mindfront » Wed May 09, 2018 10:25 pm

Joepal has published my guide about corrective shape keys http://www.makehumancommunity.org/wiki/ ... shape_keys
This describe how I make deformation correction of my MakeHuman characters and all I know about that subject and can be real fun to be able to do.

Next character is "Big Head" the modern cave man. Like Aksel he has no friends only common enemies.

The textures is the same as used for Aksel but without tattoos, scars and wounds, and I made the color a bit darker.

Earlier I have experimented on making full body particle hair on Jennifer and Zakiya and this time I thought it was time to try make more visible male body hair especially the beard stub. I have not tried to make a long beard but in theory it should be possible by only lengthen the strands.

Assets used in these renders:
"Harvey Lucille" http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... cille.html by "callharvey3d"
"Basic Loincloth 1" http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... oth_1.html by "Elvaerwyn"
Big_Head_01_Selfie.jpg
Big Head takes a selfie in he's cave resident. A big fan of botox as it significantly improves his appearance.

Big_Head_02_Come_and_get_some..jpg
Come and get some.

Big_Head_03_Armwrestling.jpg
Big Head and Aksel socialize. (I could have done more work on Big Head's scalp specular but he is not enough important)

After some agony I decided it was time to spend more time on the teeth and make them to fit the characters a little better.
This is an ongoing process and when enough new sets of teeth are finished, I will contribute them.
The first new teeth is made to "Big Head"
Big_Head_04_Teeth.jpg
A dentist's dream of fortune.

Teeth from another point of view.
Big_Head_05_Teeth.jpg
No holes, yet.

As mentioned some time ago I am rendering some scenes where Jennifer plays grand piano, this is a three image set and the first two is finished, to start with, the poster.
Mindfront_-_Piano_Concert_poster.jpg
Concert poster
Mindfront

Postby punkduck » Thu May 10, 2018 10:50 pm

Hopefully these two white guys are not relatives of my own family :lol:

Mindfront, the next character you have to create is a member of a boygroup ... otherwise our female members are a bit neglected :lol:
Or maybe these ARE members of a boygroup?! :shock:

But the details are great, they look scary and - ehm - a bit dull. Funny enough, I'm not able to create an ugly/abhorrent character, also not a female one of this kind. Maybe that is, because I don't like to meet those in reality. But no problem for me to meet Jennifer, Samuel or Zakiya or the bunch of girls I created. But maybe, if beauty becomes boring (will that ever happen?) I decide to do one also ... ;)

So this is all really perfect. Even the perspective for the dentist. So I've to be patient to see the piano scene. 8-)
punkduck

Postby Mindfront » Tue May 22, 2018 8:03 pm

punkduck wrote:Mindfront, the next character you have to create is a member of a boygroup ... otherwise our female members are a bit neglected :lol:
:lol: You are right, these kind of characters are too common in the real world, not much fun they also occopies the virtual :roll: To end Aksel and Big Head's study, Bellatrix found this image of Aksel's mother "sister Ruth", the only known to exist and the photographer has for some reason disappeared ;-)
Sister_Ruth.jpg
Aksel's mother

punkduck wrote:Funny enough, I'm not able to create an ugly/abhorrent character
Just go wild on the sliders, if it goes wrong you have succeeded ;)

The piano concert images. This kind of images was my and Bellatrix goal when started using Blender and MakeHuman. Some characters has yet not been introduced as they are on the workbench. This is a great way of testing and look for flaws. Every scene seems to reveal something to adjust. In this case i discovered that when bending the last part of the thumb the slope over the nail get very wierd deformation. Also a very big disturbance is the lack of folds on the bending fingers, that is something I have to do something about.
Mindfront_-_Piano_Concert_02.jpg
Mindfront_-_Piano_Concert_03.jpg
Mindfront_-_Piano_Concert_04.jpg
Mindfront_-_Piano_Concert_05.jpg
Mindfront_-_Piano_Concert_06.jpg
Mindfront

Postby punkduck » Wed May 23, 2018 9:31 pm

Mindfront wrote:
punkduck wrote:Mindfront, the next character you have to create is a member of a boygroup ... otherwise our female members are a bit neglected :lol:
:lol: You are right, these kind of characters are too common in the real world, not much fun they also occopies the virtual :roll: To end Aksel and Big Head's study, Bellatrix found this image of Aksel's mother "sister Ruth", the only known to exist and the photographer has for some reason disappeared ;-)
punkduck wrote:Funny enough, I'm not able to create an ugly/abhorrent character
Just go wild on the sliders, if it goes wrong you have succeeded ;)

Well the sliders to create a funny character or an additional target is not the problem. To do a good texture is another thing. But to add a role to make a character unique is real art. Most comic characters achieved this state. Of course fans also add some kind of "additional" personality, partly doing cosplay or doing it with their virtual creations (painted or digital) at e.g. Deviant Art. When I think of your main actors Samuel, Jennifer or Zakiya I'm able to render a scene, where everyone says, well I can imagine he/she is doing that in reality. I even can surprise people, e.g. when Jennifer likes to repair her motor-bike or something like that. For a weirdo I can only do a scene like you have done, but for me it is a bit stereotype (like the "strong man without brain" image). Well on the other hand you can do a scene like Aksel in university :mrgreen: but everyone will consider this as a joke.

If you really have done a lot of work it is a pity that I can use these characters only 2 or 3 times. This was the main reason for my comment ...

Mindfront wrote:The piano concert images. This kind of images was my and Bellatrix goal when started using Blender and MakeHuman. Some characters has yet not been introduced as they are on the workbench. This is a great way of testing and look for flaws. Every scene seems to reveal something to adjust. In this case i discovered that when bending the last part of the thumb the slope over the nail get very wierd deformation. Also a very big disturbance is the lack of folds on the bending fingers, that is something I have to do something about.

Of course there are always things that can be done in a better way. In 3 years you will eventually consider these pictures as "my beginners work". But really Mindfront, a 900000 vertices piano where you can play every key? The scenes are really great. Just a question, because I want to update my system, but how much memory was used to create a scene like this? Lots of characters with strand hair, did you also use the 8k textures for the characters?

Ah and I know piano players can bend their fingers a lot ... like in this picture:

https://www.musiker-board.de/attachments/image-jpg.515922/

If you pose a character like this, everyone will complain ;)
punkduck

Postby loki1950 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:26 pm

I have 8Gb and some scenes lag a bit when I do a rotation.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo Ideapad 320-15ABR Win 10/Mint 19
loki1950

Postby wolgade » Sat May 26, 2018 9:19 am

I haven't been around for a while. Don't ask me why, but in a way I really like Sister Ruth. It's quite the opposite of the common female beauty. You won't find a character like her on DAZ. :lol:

The concert scenes are simply great. Making the piano might have taken a while.
wolgade

Postby Mindfront » Wed May 30, 2018 9:12 pm

punkduck wrote:If you really have done a lot of work it is a pity that I can use these characters only 2 or 3 times.
Aksel and Big Head is very reusable when need some bad people in a scene who akt as they look. All texture work on them will be reused on other characters, like John who was ment to be next after Samuel but got on hold as Zakiya 1 needed these two. Now, instead, I used Big Head's textures on John, with some modifications like lower the strengt of the muscle normal map as John is more slim.

punkduck wrote:But really Mindfront, a 900000 vertices piano where you can play every key?
and yet, I tried to make it as low poly as possible and use subsurf instead :) . It had been better using a rig instead of shape keys to press the keys and the few textures could been made better.

punkduck wrote:Just a question, because I want to update my system, but how much memory was used to create a scene like this? Lots of characters with strand hair, did you also use the 8k textures for the characters?
The memory peak was about 9.5 GB (both my computers have 16GB). Skin textures on the four main characters 4096p and the four in the audience using 2048p. Last image have seven particle hair (one character, John, have a beard), eight if including Jennifer's vellus hair wich I forgot to mute :oops: . Lucky I have an old spare computer for this kind of render as it would be impossible to use the computer meanwhile.

All images is rendered without using render layers and it took a while for the computer to build the scene before it started to render. The original resolution of the two largest images is 7680x4320 and took about a week each using 3 cores of an four core CPU and 1000 samples.

punkduck wrote:Ah and I know piano players can bend their fingers a lot ...like in this picture:
https://www.musiker-board.de/attachment ... pg.515922/
If you pose a character like this, everyone will complain ;)
That hand pose would never pass for real :lol:

loki1950 wrote:I have 8Gb and some scenes lag a bit when I do a rotation.
My lag also very much, one disadvantage of using CorrectiveSmooth and particle hair. As I want to see the result when posing I dont mute the CorrectiveSmooth but the particle hair is often muted. Then when using more than two characters I always place them on separate layers or else it had been impossible to work.

wolgade wrote:I haven't been around for a while. Don't ask me why, but in a way I really like Sister Ruth. It's quite the opposite of the common female beauty. You won't find a character like her on DAZ. :lol:
Sister Ruth is one of a kind :lol: , an early creation and skin texturing experiment by Bellatrix. It reminds me that someday create older characters.

wolgade wrote:The concert scenes are simply great. Making the piano might have taken a while.
The grand piano took several weeks to finish. A Lot of time got spent on rebuild details accidentally deleted :oops: . After a while I wishes to make it post apocalyptic :mrgreen:

Here is John. Like Big Head, he has particle body hair as it was soo fun to make. The textures is a mix of Jennifer, Samuel, Big Head and an MakeHuman original skin texture. Still no need to change anything in my (and partly wolgade's) skin material and that is a big relief.
Raw renders using 200 samples and HDRi from https://hdrihaven.com
John_01_Portrait.jpg
Portrait
John_02_Idea.jpg
John has an idea
John_03_Legs.jpg
Some medium hairy slim legs. (The big toe nail gets very large on male characters.)
John_04_Beach.jpg
At the beach. For some reason the hair material dont look good in this light.

It became kind of boring with all those male characters, the fourth on a row, so I have to balance things up a bit. Next testrenders will be of Fanny.

Six sets of new teeth is made and contributed as license CC0. I tried to fit them the best I could, but I leave an opening of later making adjustments if I discover any flaws. I haven't had the time to try them on all kind of different looks so they may not fit your character. My previous contributed teeth is obsolete and deleted.
Teeth.jpg
Six sets of teeth I use for my characters

Mind Teeth 01: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... th_01.html
Mind Teeth 02: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... th_02.html
Mind Teeth 03: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... th_03.html
Mind Teeth 04: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... th_04.html
Mind Teeth 05: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... th_05.html
Mind Teeth 06: http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... th_06.html
Mindfront

Postby punkduck » Thu May 31, 2018 10:47 pm

Mindfront wrote:Last image have seven particle hair (one character, John, have a beard), eight if including Jennifer's vellus hair wich I forgot to mute :oops: . Lucky I have an old spare computer for this kind of render as it would be impossible to use the computer meanwhile.

Are you working with only one particle system for one hair-do? I'm normally using 3, but then these have less hair. And depending on the character a 4th small one for the eyebrows. So I had 14 on the choir picture ...

Mindfront wrote:Here is John. Like Big Head, he has particle body hair as it was soo fun to make.

Hmm, he looks familiar to me. The 3d version is absolutely great from my point of view. And in reality? It could be one of my boring neighbours or colleagues. But one never know. I could be wrong, some of those guys listen to e.g. speed metal or are avowed admirers of b-movies :? :o :lol:

(if you now believe, that the real punkduck has a Mohawk haircut ... no I don't have one ... and I have less hair than John has :? )
Last edited by punkduck on Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
punkduck

Postby wolgade » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:25 am

Interesting guy and, yes, in a way the regular guy next door. This might be even harder to do than extreme characters. An extreme character might get away with some glitches, because the image is a bit over the top, anyway. The regular guy doesn'r get away with anything. The viewer will notice any glitch.
wolgade

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery