Body study as seen from my perspective

Images of characters done with MakeHuman

Moderator: joepal

Re: Body study as seen from my perspective

Postby Mindfront » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:21 am

wolgade wrote:Great light and some depth of field. Beside all this technical stuff: This image is simply beautiful.
Thanks, it was time to play with depth of field as it can be quite effectful. The light was just a coincidence as I was trying a new HDRi on Samuel and rotaded the HDRi. Then I added an yellow point lamp to lighten up the darker areas a little.

punkduck wrote:When a strong character like Samuel discovers his subtle feelings and plays classic music using a violin. ;) The facial expression is really impressive, well, even a weirdo like me will adore his music ... at least in my imagination. 8-)
Samuel is big, strong and not afraid of showing feelings 8-) The pose was a challenge but all this posing has given me alot of experience knowing which bone to rotate to get the best deformation, with alot of help of corrective smooth modifier.

punkduck wrote:Btw.: I also had this idea 13 months ago, when I did the all girl band. I thought of combining classic instruments with modern ones ... (funny enough I took the example of Swedish band Audrey)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13672&start=69
I remember it like yesterday, and those images was very inspirative. :D

punkduck wrote:Is the violin made from quads? (well I could do one as well as a Blender excercise) :mrgreen:
The violin is almost all quads only 8 tris. First we looked around and downloaded some violins, they looked alright at first, but the topology was a mess, also lack of correct scale. As usual it is much faster to do an own from scratch than to retopology a mess. Tris or even Ngons are allowed but only if absolutely neccesary. Now I am working on an Grand Piano and Bellatrix is making a cello.
Mindfront

Postby Mindfront » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:52 pm

Who made who?
Two scenes I made using punkduck's:
"AVA Ex Machina Bodysuit" http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... ysuit.html
"AVA Ex Machina Skeleton" http://www.makehumancommunity.org/cloth ... leton.html
"AVA Ex Machina Proxy" http://www.makehumancommunity.org/proxy ... proxy.html

The first image "Synthetic Humans"is about two year old project that was laying unfinished, but when punkduck did this great assets I got inspired to make it finish.
Mindfront_-_Synthetic_Humans.jpg
Synthetic Humans

The second image "Sway" was made to try this assets and to test the material "AVA Ex Machina Blender Cycles materials" http://www.makehumancommunity.org/conte ... rials.html I made using BW masks to choose material instead of assigning faces. My future robot problem is solved, so thank you (again) punkduck :D .
Mindfront_-_Sway.jpg
Sway

(About the movie Ex Machina, I saw it last night, and they who did this movie seems to knows alot about psychology as the character Nathan had all signs of a psychopath right from the beginning to the end. The movements and the way he says things and overall act yelled psychopath allready after a few seconds. The movie is quite slow psychological sci-fi thriller with an highly unexpected end which give the whole movie a deeper thought than I first believed.)
Mindfront

Postby wolgade » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:01 am

Synthetic Humans is a bit frightening. Great work.
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:25 pm

Mindfront wrote:The first image "Synthetic Humans"is about two year old project that was laying unfinished, but when punkduck did this great assets I got inspired to make it finish.
Mindfront_-_Synthetic_Humans.jpg

The second image "Sway" was made to try this assets and to test the material "AVA Ex Machina Blender Cycles materials" http://www.makehumancommunity.org/conte ... rials.html I made using BW masks to choose material instead of assigning faces. My future robot problem is solved, so thank you (again) punkduck :D

The idea using the protagonists the other way round is great ... and it is funny to see that on a male character ... believe it or not, I never tried it, not even in MakeHuman itself. I simply load my Dani character, looked for the progress I made in Blender to create the assets and that's it ... I should play around using a whole family of these guys ... :D

I also played around with the materials, but as I mentioned in my email, the roughness of the glossy node made the AVA character completely different. In the film the mirroring and reflecting (shiny) parts made look the character really attractive (or was it Alicia's way to play it ... I dunno :? )

Mindfront wrote:(About the movie Ex Machina, I saw it last night, and they who did this movie seems to knows alot about psychology as the character Nathan had all signs of a psychopath right from the beginning to the end. The movements and the way he says things and overall act yelled psychopath allready after a few seconds. The movie is quite slow psychological sci-fi thriller with an highly unexpected end which give the whole movie a deeper thought than I first believed.)

You are right. A movie using only 4 characters is like a cast of play in classic theatre. Each character is well-defined, I like this, furthermore the location which is very limited to show that you cannot escape. As a contrast the same day World War Z was also shown in German TV, World War Z consists of a lot of action effects, especially computer-generated actors. So Ex Machina fade away.

But when working with MH, also looking one of the older Björk videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjI2J2SQ528, talking with Wolgade about classic stuff (Western- and Futureworld, also Fritz Lang's Metropolis) I remembered the movie and simply "fall in love" with that character. I now consider the film as one of the best I've ever seen ... (but please no Ex Machina II ... this will destroy everything).
punkduck

Postby Mindfront » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:56 pm

Meet the updated character Aksel. Bellatrix wanted better body muscles and skin textures to Aksel so I decided to bake a new muscle normal map and update the color and specular textures to work with my (almost final) skin material. The old version of the textures is here http://www.makehumancommunity.org/skin/aksel_skin.html

Aksel's skin texture is based upon an original MakeHuman texture, Bellatrix had already made the face last year, and I added tattoos (the tattoos is license CC0 by different artists from https://pixabay.com), scars, bruises, veins and freckles. The final touch is added by the skin material.

Some veins on the normal map is by "o4saken" from viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13063&start=160#p39465 thank you!

These testrenders is only 200 samples and got alot of noise and normal map distortions, no post processing other than adjusting the levels to show the raw result, and this time use my new favorite studio HDRi's from https://hdrihaven.com

In some lighting the normal map can look awful but I wont do any more adjustments as long it not appear in other lighting.

Aksel_01_Portrait.jpg
Aksel's nice apparent is only a facade.

Aksel_02_Love.jpg
What a nice muscle, Aksel say. (I let the male nipple error be as it fits this character)

Aksel_03_Studio.jpg
Come and get some.

Aksel_04_Studio.jpg
Grrr, Aksel is on top of the world (in this light the normal map on the feet looks awful)

Aksel_05_Studio.jpg

Aksel_06_Studio.jpg

Aksel_07_Studio.jpg

Aksel_08_Studio.jpg
Who? Me? I am innocent.

Aksel is ment to play a part in the upcoming fictive movie "Zakiya 1"

Texture and normal map details is on the way, I just have to make it presentable.
Mindfront

Postby jujube » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:27 pm

That flesh material is really, really realistic :shock:
jujube

Postby wolgade » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:30 am

Well done. I really don't want to meet this guy in real life. :lol:

As far as I can see this is much more than texture work. The muscles are real geometry. Did you create your own proxy or did you use the existing muscular proxy and created some shape keys?

Just a funny observation: When men create female characters they try to make them as good looking and georgious as it gets. When they create males, if they do at all, handsomeness is not their first priority.
wolgade

Postby Mindfront » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:20 pm

jujube wrote:That flesh material is really, really realistic :shock:
And very fun to do :mrgreen: If you meant the flesh wounds, I took a few images of real wounds, prepared the images as brush by erasing the edges to alpha and use them as a stencil, different rotation, size and strength made alot variations from only one image. I painted on an alpha image and mixed it with the skin in Photoshop and added some outer glow in a red tone #dd9f93 to simulate the pink healing edges. It was hard to stop but I did't want Aksel to look like a zombie ;)
Aksel_09_Basal_cell_carcinoma.jpg
Basal cell carcinoma?

Aksel_10_Knee.jpg
Knee

wolgade wrote:Well done. I really don't want to meet this guy in real life. :lol:
Aksel is a psychopathic, never got that barbiedoll he always wanted when he was a child, therefore hate everything and everyone, full of testosterone and a complete loser. He has an enlarged heart but that wont make any difference :mrgreen: .

wolgade wrote:As far as I can see this is much more than texture work. The muscles are real geometry. Did you create your own proxy or did you use the existing muscular proxy and created some shape keys?
So far I only used the default (none) topology as that is my favorite. I haven't tried making an own proxy yet. The only mesh muscles is what's delivered from the muscle sliders. Then I have added some custom targets on the face like deeper nose holes, and made the part under the nails to fit my nails better.
Topology_01_Default_none.jpg

Topology_02_Before_After.jpg

I have earlier tried the "Male muscle 13290" topology but it have some big UV errors I don't like. The "Female generic" and "Male generic" have also UV errors, look at the toes, which I could correct afterward but that wont suit my workflow.
Topology_03_Male_muscle_13290_UV-error.jpg

The rest is small adjustments with corrective shape-keys, I tried to avoid that but in the end it was necessary on the elbows and knees, and to lift the chest a bit when raising the arms. These shape keys is not the best and someday I maybe put more effort on to them.
Topology_04_ShapeKeys.jpg

To smoothen the deformation I use the modifier "CorrectiveSmooth" and weight painted a vertex group to avoid smoothing the corrective shape-keys and some other parts.
Topology_05_CorrectiveSmooth.jpg

As using the same topology it is easy to transfer vertex groups and shape keys to other characters, but sometimes the shape keys need character specific adjustments.
Mindfront

Postby wolgade » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:03 pm

Mindfront wrote:I painted on an alpha image and mixed it with the skin in Photoshop and added some outer glow in a red tone #dd9f93 to simulate the pink healing edges.

And so I learned another lesson. Thanks!
Mindfront wrote:Aksel is a psychopathic, never got that barbiedoll he always wanted when he was a child, therefore hate everything and everyone, full of testosterone and a complete loser. He has an enlarged heart but that wont make any difference :mrgreen: .

And is employed by the state to convince people to pay their income tax. :lol:
Mindfront wrote:So far I only used the default (none) topology as that is my favorite.

Another surprise. And another demonstration of what can be done with a normal map.
Mindfront wrote:"Male muscle 13290" topology but it have some big UV errors I don't like. The "Female generic" and "Male generic" have also UV errors,

Ooops, I never realized. This should be fixed.
Mindfront wrote:The rest is small adjustments with corrective shape-keys, I tried to avoid that but in the end it was necessary on the elbows and knees,

Thanks again for revealing your tricks.
wolgade

Postby punkduck » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:07 pm

I dunno, this guy looks cute in a way ... a bit clumsy maybe. Exactly one of these guys who are not able to open the door with a key or door handle ... y'know ... but he comes in nevertheless and has to buy a new door. ;)

And please, after he is playing the role of the opponent of Zakiya, the next role will be Hamlet ... (if he is a good actor, he must be able to do that also). :shock:

To be honest, that is one of the most impressive characters I've seen, especially texture and normalmap are very realistic. I'm absolutely sure, that I'm not really able to create a character like that. Maybe because I always try to the characters without flaws.

Question: Is the character completely symmetric, so that you can mirror the shape-keys? I've also created the same keys for the knees, but had problems because of missing symmetry here and there.
punkduck

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery